Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Wii too underpowered for Unreal 3 Engine

In sad news, it seems the wii is too underpowered for the unreal 3 engine

Before you all flame me yes i know high spec graphics are neccessarily for decent games, however this is information only and the Unreal 3 engine has a lot of buzz around it. I hadn't rearlised that Red Steel was based on the Unreal 2 Engine.

Crazily i knew it was not as powerful as the 360 or PS3 but its still supposed to be twice as good as a gamecube. Subconciously i'd had that down as pretty powerful, Super Mario Galaxy looks good although i have to admit i didn't find the Zelda fishing demo (the hi-def version on gametrailers.com) that appealing on the looks front (I am spoilt by the fliud cell shaded style of the wind waker, can't get used to Zelda's new "pointy" facial features).

Before we finish up: did Epic ever get that Wii dev kit?

Mark Rein: (laughs) I can't say, I'm under NDA with Nintendo. But I can tell you that we're not doing, internally any development right now on the Wii. The Wii I'm sure is going to be a fantastic machine and sell really well but it's kind of below - it's not Intel integrated graphics but it's pretty far bellow the kind of min-bar of Unreal Engine 3. If you built a PC with that spec it wouldn't really be capable of playing an Unreal Engine 3 games decently. They're aiming at clearly at different audience that what we are. You know, Unreal Engine 3 can't run on Xbox 1 or PS2 either - and that's not to say that some of our licensees wont find a way to shoe-horn it into that platform, we certainly have some licensees that are doing some experiments in that area and it could very well happen. But that's a really tough job. And one thing that has become public knowledge in the last little while is that Ubisoft's game Red Steel is using Unreal Engine 2, so there will be Unreal Engine games on the Wii.
    http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=146449
    Last edited by mysterym; 23rd September 2006 at 12:28 AM.