Close

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Nokia to release N95

The N95. Yum.

Nokia is announcing today the Nokia N95, its newest S60 3rd Edition multimedia computer, or, as Nokia say, 'it is what computers have become'. The N95 features an innovative double slide design with multimedia controls and a keypad on opposite end of the phones. The N95 is Nokia's first HSDPA (3.5G) device, but also boasts Wi-Fi, WCDMA, quad-band GSM, Bluetooth (including A2DP), IrDA and USB 2.0 connectivity (via mini USB connector). Other hardware features include a 5 megapixel camera, a built in GPS, TV-Out, 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio, a MicroSD memory card slot and 150MB of internal memory. At 99mm x 20mm x 53mm (90cc), the N93 packs an impressively amount into a small space. Read on for full details and pictures.

In the hand the most impressive aspect of the device, given its feature set, is its size. Nokia have managed to add two major technologies to the Nseries line (GPS and HSDPA) while significantly reducing the volume of the device. In length and width dimensions it is larger that the other Nseries slider - the N80, but it is considerably thinner.

HSPDA is the next generationin cellular connectivity. The N95 is a category 6 HSPDA device which means it is up to 10 times faster that WCDMA (3G). Clearly HSDPA support is required at a network level, but many networks have already begun their testing or roll out periods. The faster connection speeds make downloading media (such as podcasts via the in built Podcast application) more palatable and should also improve latency/round trip times. Wi-Fi, WCDMA (3G) connectivity, together with quad band GSM and EDGE are also supported. Bluetooth 2.0, IrDA and USB make up the local connectivity options.

The 5.0 megapixel camera uses Carl Zeiss Optics with autofocus and digital zoom with a dedicated 2 stage capture button on the side of the phone. Video capture at near DVD quality is also supported. On the side of the device there are several buttons dedicated to camera usage. This allows the device to be held in a similar way to a traditional camera with the screen, in landscape mode, used as the view finder and the shutter button on bottom right hand side of the device (top right when phone is held horizontally). On the rear of the device, next to the camera is the slide switch, which is used to open the lens aperture and activate camera mode. Although it is difficult to judge the image quality at this stage the evidence we saw suggest that the N95 will be on of the most capable camera phones available.

A GPS is integrated into the device with anticipated accuracy of around 10m (satellite signal permitting). The devices will ship with an application called Maps which has global overview maps built in. More detailed maps (with coverage over more than 100 different countries available) can be downloaded for free from an online server. The detail available varies from country to country, but in many cases it is available down to street level. A point of interest (POI) database is also included. All the maps are available for free, as is basic route planning, but navigation functionality (with voice and on screen prompts) will be available as a pay-for add on. City Guides will also be available for purchase and other services are likely to be made available in the future. The mapping software and services is likely to based on technology from gate5, a company which Nokia recently announced it was acquiring.

Music playback is also a major focus of the device. The dedicated multimedia keys on the top flip of the device are primarily designed for music playback (although can also be used in other multimedia contexts). Wireless stereo sound output (via the A2DP Bluetooth profile) is also supported, and stereo audio output is also supported by the TV output feature and the on board stereo speakers. The music formats supported include MP3, AAC, AAC+ and WMA. Video playback on the QVGA screen is excellent and supported video formats include 3GP, Real Video and MP4 with support for the latest AVC codec.

The multimedia key now leads to a revamped application and multimedia shorcut view which now supports both a greater number of shortcuts (applications, multimedia files and bookmarks) and more flexible personalisation. As a result it is now a more generic shortcut key mechansim and offers an alternative to the standard application launcher.

The N95 uses S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 (Symbian 9.3) and as such includes version 2.0 of the open source Nokia web browser (supporting WML, XHTML and HTML in one browser), Flash Lite 2.0, FOTA (firmware over the air updates) and more.

The N95 uses the same small power port as other S60 3rd Edition devices, but the in-box charger is considerably smaller than the existing models (up to 60% smaller). The N95 has a 950 mAh battery, it is likely that the N95 will require a daily charge with moderate to heavy use, although 3-6 days may be possible with lighter use (dependent on network strength, type and other factors).

The N95 will be available in Q1 2007 and the approximate unsubsidised price is €550. Initially it will be available in the EMEA market. It will not be officially available in the US although gray imports are very likely.

Check back tomorrow for more updates and information and our first impressions of the device.

Some of the pics are clickable. From AllAboutSymbian.

Also some pics of odd looking new phones [url=http://dixis.ru/phones_list.php?manufacturer=2]here]. Check out the 3250, 5200 and 5250 down towards the bottom of the page.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nokia to release N95

FFS!!!! I was wanting to get that N91, now they just go and do this, might have to hold on for this little chestnut

Thanks
    Karma Level

ooohhh looks like I know what my next phone will be. Only had my N80 for less than a month as well ! *L*

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As we have already discussed this phone before, I think you Bert brought it up, this will be my next phone. But but....why do I recall a 4GB minidrive initially in the N95?

Oh here we go....http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/..._spy_shots.php
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah, I was just about to hit the 'buy' button on a P990!
    Think I'll wait until after Christmas and get one of these puppies...looks awesome.

Let's hope they don't put a 4GB hard drive in ffs.

W.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

More photos here http://www.newmobile.nl/eur/en/news.php?news_id=d3f56d also mentions the N81, with a 10GB drive..interesting. And here http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/006/09/nokia_n95.html
    Last edited by cronus71; 26th September 2006 at 11:59 AM.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Bertroot, dont know if you have used the handset but i used it when i as down at nokia in march the handset is excellent and with the built in gps i can now trully have one device for communicating and finding my way on the move.
    uk release dates are currently at late Jan but this moving all the time, may see some imported kit sooner.

Got a rather large backorder in for these through work so as soon is i get anymore info will put on here.
    Last edited by Mobileman; 26th September 2006 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    As we have already discussed this phone before, I think you Bert brought it up, this will be my next phone. But but....why do I recall a 4GB minidrive initially in the N95?

Oh here we go....http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/..._spy_shots.php
    A hard drive? I thought solid state memory would be the storage option of choice? A hard drive would be too unreliable imo.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    A hard drive? I thought solid state memory would be the storage option of choice? A hard drive would be too unreliable imo.
    Works well in my N91.

The drive is manufactured by Hitachi, I shall remind you that it has purchased the division of IBM, which claimed the title of pioneers in the field of these devices. The name of the line-up was corresponding - Microdrive. Nokia N91 features a new model of this drive – Microdrive 3K4-4. Its characteristics are quite good and to some extent can be compared to flash memory:

Cache buffer 128 Кб
    Speed 3600 rpm
    Latency Average – 8.33 ms
    Media Transfer Rate – 57.1-97.9 (max. Mbits/s)
    Sustained Data Rate – 4.3-7.2 (Mb/s)
    Seek time (read, typical) – 12 ms, track to track – 1 ms, full track – 22 ms
    Limit of 300000 cycles of on/off
    Last edited by cronus71; 26th September 2006 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

dont think i will be getting a fee upgrade on this little bute most prob it will be on the top tarif as well

Thanks
    Karma Level

the battry life on that will be poor

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    the battry life on that will be poor
    Sanj I was wondering where they are going to fit the nuclear reactor to keep it running as well. It will probably come with four spare batteries.

Thanks
    Karma Level

still not as good as my sharp 903

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    Works well in my N91.
    Yea and Ipod's. I was just of the opinion that hard drives can break pretty easily if they take a knock due to they way they operate.
    With the price of solid stte memory so low, I just thought it would be a logical choice.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wifi/bluetooth/3g/gps will drain the battery quickly enough. A hard drive would probably finish it off before it's had chance to boot!

I wish they would stick to one sort of memory card though. SD/miniSD/microSD...gnats fucking nuts SD :-(
    Let's hope microSD has reached bigger than 2GB densities before this thing launches.

W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Yea and Ipod's. I was just of the opinion that hard drives can break pretty easily if they take a knock due to they way they operate.
    With the price of solid stte memory so low, I just thought it would be a logical choice.

Yep, Nokia has "funked" up the drive a little, to make it safer within the N91. I thought/hoped the N95 would come with a minidrive (please make it 10GB) and a flash memory slot. Here's hoping....

Oh, and great vids, I will be buying that phone.
    Last edited by cronus71; 27th September 2006 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

A load more pics here with some pics of peripherals as well.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That drive looks like a ST1 (CF2) card. I have a Seagate one sitting here.

Gorgeous phone, might just hang on to my 6280 til then rather than get the N80 or N93.

EDIT: Is it me or is this a bargain?! All those features like 5MP cam with carl zeiss lens!

EDIT 2: 'it is likely that the N95 will require a daily charge with moderate to heavy use, although 3-6 days may be possible with lighter use'. Doesn't sound too hopeful giving sat-nav will most likely kill battery life as will the camera.
    Last edited by evilsatan; 27th September 2006 at 05:37 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I already have Wifi/bluetooth/3g in my N91, but not GPS. I listen to music quite a lot and the battery lasts a day. With GPS, that would mainly be used whilst in a car, and then it would only make sense to have the N95 charging in a car kit.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast