Close

Thread: Bio diesel

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Bio diesel

I have a 2002 Vuaxhall Astra Diesel and I want to start using veg oil without any modifications to my car. Is this okay to do and what would be the ratio of veg oil to diesel? I live in the uk and it's starting to get cold now. So what would be the ratio for summer and winter? I've done a couple of searches on this forum but I just want to make absolutely sure before I go ahead.

Thanks for any replies.
    The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.

'Ben Stein'

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bio diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Tosker View Post
    I have a 2002 Vuaxhall Astra Diesel and I want to start using veg oil without any modifications to my car. Is this okay to do and what would be the ratio of veg oil to diesel? I live in the uk and it's starting to get cold now. So what would be the ratio for summer and winter? I've done a couple of searches on this forum but I just want to make absolutely sure before I go ahead.

Thanks for any replies.
    Is the 2002 one of the newer diesels (TDCI, HDI, or whatever)? I've heard that it could gum up the internals of the new style diesels, but older one ones were generally OK.

Funkyg
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm sure I remember reading you need to put 3% (can't remember, some type of solvent) with 97% veg oil, leave for 2 weeks, then use this stuff to fill the tank.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If its a modern common rail or unit injector diesel leave well alone, veg oil will do it no god at all. My pug diesel is older and doesnt mind it but its got a bosch mechanical pump and they love the veggie stuff, within reason.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck it then I'll leave it for now. I'll wait and buy the converter kit. Does anyone know who installs them in central scotland?
    The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.

'Ben Stein'

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tosker,

I'd be careful with the new direct injection diesel engines. I've seen plenty of reports around the high pressure pumps not liking veggie oil one bit and wearing them out quite quickly.

Older indirect diesel engines seem to fine running neat. I've a 'friend' that used to run plenty of pugeot XUD (older type) diesel engines on it, with the only side effect being the usual smelling of a chippy giving the game away...

Crossman.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Crossman View Post
    Tosker,

I'd be careful with the new direct injection diesel engines. I've seen plenty of reports around the high pressure pumps not liking veggie oil one bit and wearing them out quite quickly.

Older indirect diesel engines seem to fine running neat. I've a 'friend' that used to run plenty of pugeot XUD (older type) diesel engines on it, with the only side effect being the usual smelling of a chippy giving the game away...

Crossman.
    Cheers m8. How will I find out? I'm useless with cars. What questions should I ask?

'Ben Stein'

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think there is any way to tell definitively without looking at the engine itself.

Three things that might help though:

* The model of the car often gives a clue, for example DTI or CDTI on vauxhalls are (usually) the direct injection ones, TD's are the indirect.

* Glow plug light will not come on (or only very briefly - sub 1 second) on a direct injection diesel in this weather, an indirect will usually be on about 5 seconds.

* The owner manual sometimes quotes what type it is.

It will only be a 2 minute job for someone with a bit of know about motors though to have a look a visual look at the location of the injectors and let you know for sure.

Crossman.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If its a new one, don't do it coz ur just asking for trouble mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mechanic next door to us in work is lovin Bio he has a queue of cars waiting to have fuel pumps / lines/ injectors replaced coz they all goooed up from the fat still contained within bio, he is rubbing his hands waiting for winter when all that old chippy fat freezes
    Mike

Im not bitter, Im a red

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Crossman View Post
    I don't think there is any way to tell definitively without looking at the engine itself.

Three things that might help though:

* The model of the car often gives a clue, for example DTI or CDTI on vauxhalls are (usually) the direct injection ones, TD's are the indirect.

* Glow plug light will not come on (or only very briefly - sub 1 second) on a direct injection diesel in this weather, an indirect will usually be on about 5 seconds.

* The owner manual sometimes quotes what type it is.

It will only be a 2 minute job for someone with a bit of know about motors though to have a look a visual look at the location of the injectors and let you know for sure.

Crossman.
    it's a 1700 DTI if that helps?

'Ben Stein'