Close

Thread: How do i....

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default How do i....

How do I find out what progs are using my broardband connection. I have just reinstalled windows xp and when the pc is idle not using the internet the lights on my router are still flashing. I dont think that it's spyware unless it's microsoft?

I have just done a few speed test's from here http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp and the speed ranges for 253 kbps downstream to 463 kbps so some prog is using my connection
    Last edited by ss30; 16th October 2006 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How do i....

Netlimiter is good but not free - I'm sure someone else will have a better suggestion..

Thanks
    Karma Level

theres so much wrong with that post im not sure where to start.

fisrtly, install something like netmeter (google it, its free), thatll show you graphically when bandwidth is in use, and how much.. i find windows incredibly uninformative when using the net without some kind of meter to show what the connection is doing.

if youve got constant or regular peaks in upload then youve got something spilling out data from your pc. anything over 5-10kb a sec that you havent initiated should be viewed as suspect imo..

the fact that your routers lights are flashing means nothing... just being connected will mean they flash whenever there is come kind of data transfer however minimal, which will happen as apps regularly make connections for stuff, nothing to worry about.

the speed test means nothing either, that could just be variance in contention, available bandwidth, slow test servers, whatever.. they are never reliable anyway.. a speed test using a 1 meg file over a 2-8meg line is absolutely pointless.. try with a file thats like 10 megs, i usually use the open office.org torrent as its seeded by very fast servers and more often than not maxes out my connection for a few minutes.

as for finding out which apps are using your connection, ive found there arent really that many apps out there that do this, i believe netlimiter will tell you what applications are using the connection and how much bandwidth each is using.. but ive never used it myself..

your firewall might also tell you what apps are using the net, but probably not how much bandwidth, for example i use sygate and that tells you whats corrently connected.

hth.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks marcode

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have just been using netmeter and at the time I took this pic I was not using the net at all the thing that worries me is all the traffic is upload not download any suggestions.
    Last edited by ss30; 2nd January 2008 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

There are a few viruses that do that kind of thing - there was a particularly virulent one about that brought down our network like that, when I got my new PC this virus went to work before I could get all the updates and my antivirus installed.

If you have a clean install of windows have you run all the updates?

What virus checker are you using?

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you managed to fix it?

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have just reinstalled windows and the first thing I did was come here

Yes it seems to be ok now. fingers crossed. touch wood. It will F**k up now I said that.

Thanks Everyone

ss30

Thanks
    Karma Level

one way to see what connections are initiating from your computer is go to a command prompt, type in

netstat -a 5

This will display your connections to the internet and using this information one can see any rogue applications.

Social Networking Bookmarks