Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Police to avoid Ramadan arrests

Police in Manchester have been told not to arrest Muslims wanted on warrants at prayer times during Ramadan.

Greater Manchester Police confirmed it had asked detectives not to make planned arrests during those periods for reasons of religious sensitivity.

The advice was emailed out to officers working in Moss Side, Hulme, Whalley Range, Rusholme, Fallowfield, Ardwick, Longsight, Gorton and Levenshulme.

Police said it was not a blanket ban, just a "request for sensitivity".

The email stressed the order did not apply to on-the-spot arrests, only the execut1on of arrest warrants.

The holy month of Ramadan began on 22 September and is due to end with the festival of Eid-ul-Fitr next week.

The internal email was sent to staff listing the prayer times, but confusion arose and a second memo was sent clarifying it was not a total ban on arresting Muslims at these times.

A GMP statement said: "The primary objective of Greater Manchester Police is to fight crime and protect people.

"The month of Ramadan is an important time of the year for members of the Muslim community throughout the world.

"It is important that normal, planned policing activities and operations are maintained, while ensuring that officers are professional and respectful to members of the community while going about their duties."

Liberal Democrat councillor Simon Ashley, who represents the city's Gorton South ward and leads the party on Manchester City Council, said: "This sounds odd but we would need to find out what impact rescheduling arrests had on police operations.

"The police's first job is to police.

"I understand they have a difficult task to do and need to do it sensitively, especially within minority communities, but that can't stop them policing serious crimes."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/6073162.stm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Police to avoid Ramadan arrests

I don't know what to say, so I will leave it at that

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wont even get started on this, because the thread will get closed.

I suppose we wont be getting arrested on Christmas day/Easter etc? yea right.

"The primary objective of Greater Manchester Police is to fight crime"

Unless your a muslim criminal

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats why this sort of thing happens because people dont say anything about it.

Nice one government, help out the t******** again

Lets starve ourselfs to show how much we respect god and then go blow up some children
    Last edited by dan288; 22nd October 2006 at 04:12 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm starting to get sick and tired of this constant barrage of Muslim stories. It seems that someone in the media has declared open season on them because every bloody day its one thing or another. It must be really unpleasant to be a decent, law abiding Muslim citizen when every day you're getting dragged into yet another firestorm.

Perhaps they're softening us up for an attack on another Muslim country.. Syria, Iran etc.. because there does seem to be a wider agenda behind these headlines.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Perhaps they're softening us up for an attack on another Muslim country.. Syria, Iran etc.. because there does seem to be a wider agenda behind these headlines.
    Damned right, what's coming next - our own kristallnacht?

I personally don't see the problem with the news story. It's anly about the police barging into a building to arrest someone while others could be praying. Fair enough really, would you expect the police to burst into a church while your nipper was being christened or something like that?
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    Damned right, what's coming next - our own kristallnacht?

I personally don't see the problem with the news story. It's anly about the police barging into a building to arrest someone while others could be praying. Fair enough really, would you expect the police to burst into a church while your nipper was being christened or something like that?
    definatly would expect the police to do their job nevermind the religion of the offender
    you do the crime you do the time!
    it just shows that this country is well and truly going to the dogs!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neemo View Post
    definatly would expect the police to do their job nevermind the religion of the offender
    you do the crime you do the time!
    it just shows that this country is well and truly going to the dogs!
    Mate, this isn't even a story, some do-gooder plod up high has taken it upon himself to tell his officers how to suck eggs. Its common sense that you don't excaserbate a situation by storming into a mosque to arrest someone in the middle of a prayer. Wait outside with the cuffs, and then as soon as he walks out arrest the bad boy.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

forget the whole prayer times thing or ramadan or whatever, thats not the point.

the point is giving the police a schedule on which they are allowed to act on warrants impacts police operations and as the article points out, the polices main priority is to police, not meet every individuals unique requirements..

im almost certain other religious periods such as lent ect would have no impact whatsoever on the police nicking me if i had a warrant out for my arrest.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Disgrace the law should be equal to all regardless of race and religion and wealth but this again proves its not.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by diablos View Post
    Disgrace the law should be equal to all regardless of race and religion and wealth but this again proves its not.

true the police should be inpartial ,non discrimanating and the law should upheld at all times without exception

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes you all have a valid point on being equal but do you have any evidence of non-muslims being dragged out of church or warrants being executed on Christmas day, or is your basis just anecdotal or supposition?

This is not about this thread:
    Spoiler:
    On the veil thing (slightly related) I'll be honest - I hate it. But I can't remember the last time I saw one. The last time I saw one on telly was the school teaching assistant & the time before that was a 25 year old repeat of "minder". She was rightly dismissed & that's that for me, so I don't think it's necessary for me to say I hate the costumes.

Reading back I'm going to put this in a spoiler seeing as it's on a bit of a tangeant from the thread.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

how do they know somebody is a muslim? do they call you up and say "hey, i'm just coming down to arrest you but i need to check to see if you arent busy praying, cos then i'll call back afterwards"

load of fecking shit, muslims are getting picked on lately because they are the most obvious show of why religion should be banned completely (and i'll stop there because we arent allowed to discuss religion)
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im sure if its a serious criminal they will grab them no matter what. I would imagine this is just another "lets blow it all out of proportion" story. It asks for "sensitivity", and thats how the country should be policed IMO.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Im sure if its a serious criminal they will grab them no matter what. I would imagine this is just another "lets blow it all out of proportion" story. It asks for "sensitivity", and thats how the country should be policed IMO.
    i think you're right and that things like dragging people out of their beds at 5am because of something like copyright infringement or some other crime that is assosciated with raids is a bit stupid, would make much more sense to do it at a reasonable time. especially since the people in question are not at that point proven guilty

no way would any policeman leave a paedo or a rapist roaming the streets for 1 second after he suspected them, for any sensitivity related reason, be it religious or otherwise
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore