Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default BT total broad band issues, chap authentication

Despite my activation date being the 3rd of October, I am still waiting for BT total broadband

The techincal team at the help desk leave a little to be desired

Anyway, hopefully someone here can help me. Allegedly my line was delayed until the 13th of October, and I should have been able to connect then, (despite being told that that if my line didnt work by 8pm the following evening from the 3rd Oct to call back, only every day to be told the same thing, untill I ask to speak to a supervisor who then told me to wait 3 days whilst he activated the line on the 13th)

I waited until the 17th to phone back when I was told maybe it was because my line could not handle the 5mbit they are trying to supply, explained I was more than happy to be regraded to 2mbit, 24-48 hours they said they will call me back, phoned them after 4 business days (6 days) to be told they will contact me in 24-48 hours if the issue isnt resolved, which brings me to today

Anyway here is what I have tried

BT home hub and a netgear DG384GT (i think that is right) router have been tried in all instances with a direct connection to the test socket

bt_test_user@startup_domain --- this user name works and has done since about the 10th
    bt_test@btbroadband.com -- doesnt work
    bthomehub@btbroadband.com

the router log reports the user names that dont work as a PPP CHAP authentication error
    . I assume this is some sort of radius server that you need to authenticate with.

My stats from the homehubs router log are the following

xDSL linestate up (
    downstream: 2272 kbit/s,
    upstream: 288 kbit/s;

output Power Down: 17.0 dBm,
    Up: 11.5 dBm;

line Attenuation Down: 37.0 dB,
    Up: 22.0 dB;

snr Margin Down: 31.0 dB,
    Up: 30.0 dB)

Can any one help, to me it looks as though they just need to activate my username on there servers as the job for BT wholesale connecting to my house is done and dusted, and I am just waiting for the last link in the chain to go from the exhange to the isp.

If I get asked for the status of my lights once more by the clowns at bts helpdesk I am likely to explode, I appreciate this is because they are reading from a script so is pointless in trying to explain anything to them!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: BT total broad band issues, chap authentication

It does sound like an authentication problem. Have you tried connecting to the BT speedtest ?

Login with the username speedtest@speedtest_domain, use any password. Make sure that the DNS settings in your router are set to 'Server Assigned'.

Once connected go to http://speedtester.bt.com