Close

Thread: oil rig worker

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default oil rig worker

My brother has just got a job as an engineer on an oil rig. Its sounds a good job. And he keeps going on at me to look at getting a job as a normal rig person. Ive had a quick look but all the jobs seem to ask for minimum qualifications and having passed a 5 day course etc.

Anyone work in this industry? Im currently in sales i do have a degree but in leisure management so nothing related.

Whats the best way to get into this industry. Im willing to get dirty and start from the bottom. But not sure i want to fork out money to pass a five day course and stuff when there is no guaranteed job.

Thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: oil rig worker

as far as i know, once you pass the "five day course" you will be guaranteed a job, loads of demand for off sure workers. a freind of mine worked of sure for years, then while i was working with him phoned a few companys and decieded to go back of sure and they wherre all willing to pay for his course, he was "useless" as well, he could do nothing you told him and didnt have a clue about anything but he got a job so i wouldnt worry about not having knowledge, as long as you seem willing ot learn and so forth most companys will offer you a start. The only company i can think of off hand is Amec, (there offsure dept obviously), make a few phone calls.

the course is ment ot be really good as well, you get droped into a pool in a helecopter upside down and you gotta get out in a certain time haha.

have fun

Luke

Thanks
    Karma Level

whats the pay like?

Thanks
    Karma Level

The course is the Offshore Survival Course and involves first aid, fire fighting and the famous helicopter escape, which you do in full survival gear. You also have to get to a life raft with waves, wind, rain, the full monty - they can create most weather conditions and it's a real trouser filler. They used to do this course at Aberdeen and Blackpool, there may be others as it's over 10 years since I did mine.

You also have to have a certificate saying that your teeth are OK, there are no dentists offshore.

Hope this helps.

WTF

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the info was beginning to wonder if anyone knew anything about it.

How much will the course cost me then. Also having done the course what position will i be looking at and what sort of money.

The money doesnt bother me too much as im looking to change into a career rather than another job.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here you go mate,

Offshore Survival Courses
    Just about every operator world wide insists that everyone travelling to one of their offshore assets (production platform, drill rig, FPSO etc) must complete an offshore survival course before being allowed to travel. This applies to employees and visitors alike, independent of the length of the visit, whether it be for a 2 week rotation or an afternoon's survey.

BOSIET
    For UK waters this survival course is officially known as a BOSIET (Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training) course, though it is often referred to as an RGIT course in deference to the one time market leader in providing such courses. The BOSIET includes Safety, Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting, First Aid and Hypothermia, Helicopter Safety and Escape, and Survival at Sea.

BOSIET courses vary in length between providers - usually 2 to 3 days, and with the advent of e-learning some providers allow the theory parts to be completed via the internet. The cost of a basic course is between £450 and £550, plus any accommodation costs. Courses are very popular and there can be long waiting lists - though gone are the days of a single provider for the UK. The "Offshore Survival Certificate" as the BOSIET is also commonly known, is only valid for 4 years, and a refresher (usually lasting a day) must be done before your old certificate expires otherwise the whole course must be repeated.

There are "extras" that you can request, and pay for, when doing your survival, e.g. re-breather training is becoming an increasing popular requirement amongst operators. This can be tagged on to the end of the wet part of your course.

Offshore Abroad
    Different countries across the world have differing requirements, some more stringent than the UK requirements described above. For example a BOSIET course is not sufficient for working in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea. The Norwegian Oil Industry Association (OLF) course, is a 5 day affair and a lot more demanding than that required in the UK. Most offshore training companies in the UK run courses allowing you to work in other sectors. These are often run as additions to the BOSIET course.

Many companies put employees through courses after they start work, but some people take a course before looking for work in the industry - hoping this will give them an advantage when looking for work. Having a valid "Offshore Survival Certificate" could mean the difference between getting a job and not - however it is worth remembering that doing this course does not guarantee a job offshore. Also, since different countries have different requirements think carefully about where you want to work before financing your own course.

My guess is about £800 to £1000 taking accomodation etc. into account.

Info here:

http://www.blackpool.ac.uk/fosc/courses/course_list.htm

WTF

Thanks
    Karma Level

anyone know ball park figures for pay packet working on one of these off shore rigs?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its a great job my mate does it great pay of which its hard to spend when your on an oil rig time off is cool too they work somthing like 5 weeks on 4 weeks off

Thanks
    Karma Level

How true! It's a fantastic job in which you earn lots of money that cannot be spent. Oh and your stuck for how ever many weeks up top in all conditions or in a small bunk with a load of other men.

It's a job where you need friends, otherwise you will crack up.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks everyone for the info so far

Also are there any companies that pay for the course after taking you on. or do i have to do the course first and then hope to get taken on. £1000 in the hope for a job seems quite a lot.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My guess is about £800 to £1000 taking accomodation etc. into account.
    You will get that back in a week, surely its worth the risk for that sort of money, but if you can get a company to pay that would be better.

Thanks
    Karma Level

are there any sort of agencies that you apply for these jobs through. or is it the oil companies?

i would like to have a browse of whats available before i sign up for this course

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

When I did my firefighting and survival coarse (inc underwater helicopter escape) it cost me £650 approx (a few years ago), but whilst I was there there was a few people on the coarse that had there coarse fee paid by the Prince's Trust Award. You will also need to do a refresher coarse every 2 or three years afaik.

With certificate inhand I then went to Aberdeen on the lookout for jobs and was told that experiance was the next step , which had to be gained onshore.

You will also need a full medical.

Thanks
    Karma Level

most rigs seem to be doing 2 weeks on, 3 weeks off nowadays.

Thanks
    Karma Level

can we have some links to official sites etc?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I work for an oil company in Aberden doing Control Systems. I tend to avoid off-shore work as it doesn't appeal to me. There are plenty of jobs in Aberdeen if you want to work off-shore, I wouldn't pay for the training though as most emplyers would pay for the BOSIET.

The money isn't as great as it used to be for off-shore work but I suppose it depends on who you work for and what your role is. A lot of the work is in places like the West coast of Africa (Angola, Nigeria, ...) so you would probably be have to be prepared to work somewhere like that.

Try ringing some of the aberdeen recruitment agencies e.g. www.aaajobs.co.uk would be your best bet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My dad is a Pipe inspector and works all over the world, he had to do a part of that course for laying pipes in Jakarta, he said he likes his job and wish he would have done it when he was younger. However I went to see what he did once, I thought it was a very lonely life to be honest and could never do it, however I know the pay is great and if you get some qualifications in welding or ultrasonics or some kind of testing techniques there is big money to be made. I dont know exactly how much my dad earns but I think its at least around the 4k a month mark.

Good luck with whaat ever you choose