Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Free Diesel Remap

Got a turbo diesel then u can getting a free remap of the car which is usually over £300, I should know as I had mine done few months back
    Anyway CLICKY
    I have just bought a new uprated clutch from these guys and they are a very reputable company
    IMac, MacBook Pro, Ipad 2, Iphone 4, Iphone 3GS....Oh and a PC or 2 knocking about

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Free Diesel Remap

Hmmm dont think its free if you read it closely?!

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can even recover the cost of the re-map over a period of time with increased MPG, so essentially it's free, yet another advantage of efficiently tuning a diesel.
    Losing Gracefully Since September 2010

Thanks
    Karma Level

Could this be one of those time activated maps like Revo? i.e. the map lasts for a day before the ECU reverts back to standard
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

great idea
    remap your car to convince it the engine is permenantly cold so it pours more fuel in at lower revs and melts the top of the pistons
    great idea

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wiggi28 View Post
    great idea
    remap your car to convince it the engine is permenantly cold so it pours more fuel in at lower revs and melts the top of the pistons
    great idea
    Dude, why the scepticism? My brother has an Audi A3 TDi (165+ bhp) chipped by Upsolute at 33k. He's now pushing 230k and the car still pulls like a train. If you get a generic Ebay chip then you are asking for trouble, but a proper remap is as good as OEM. Remember most cars have a lot of reserve power, but because of mass production, insurance gradings and wide engineering tolerances, that power remains untapped. e.g. Another example is the old days of Pentium 2GHz being labelled as 1.4GHz because on any particular day Intel are short of the 1.4GHz SKU they just say fcuk it, fill the pallet with 2Ghz. Overclock heaven.
    Last edited by GTI; 11th November 2006 at 03:46 AM.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wiggi28 View Post
    great idea
    great idea
    No mate, thas not how it works. I think you are confusing a pro remap with a "resistor mod chip of power!" that you get for about a quid off ebay.

Wth a pro remap the turbo boost pressure is increased as is the fuel to match the increased oxygen. The timing is advanced, and the rail pressure (in the case of common rail) is increased fo better fuel atomisation and therefore more total combustion.

There re absolutely no downsides to a pro remap if done correctly. If done by a cowboy it could make your car run like a bag of sh1t, make your clutch slip, or worse damage your engine.

As proof that there is nothing wrong with remapping a motor all the major car manufacturers do it on alsmost an annual basis. They release an under powered motor, then next year release a newer better faster more economical version - which is exactly the same as last years model only chipped up!

Thanks
    Karma Level

i know how it works and can be done in many ways from basically extra fuel all the way up to a so called full remap and its nothing to do with tolerances or insurance gradings etc
    emmisions are the main factor in the cars mapping installed in the factory yes it is possible to release so called extra bhp but its important to remember torque is the magic figure not bhp
    many remaps i have seen just bring the torque band down the rev range giving the impression the car quicker but all you are really getting is the same power but lower down the rev range .
    i get loads of cars come into my garage that have had all types of these kind of mods from the mentioned resistor type to the full remap and as i said before the only real change is the torque band has been shifted down the rev range.
    its the same with many so called mods inc all the noisy filters and exhausts etc .they may give that so called race sound but in all make very little true differance to the cars performance it takes more than a few bolt on goodies before you truely do change the performance of a road car.
    its all about the owners perception of speed
    ive got a noisy race exhaust my cars sound loud it goes faster .
    how many group a rally cars have you had go past your house only to look out of the window to see a 1.0 corsa drive pastwith a stupid exhaust and filter
    in all i do agree there is some benefit to remmapping but unfortunatly some companys sell them on the back of huge bhp increases when really they should be informing the buyer of the torque increase but that doesnt sound as good in many cases

Thanks
    Karma Level

Some good points made there and I am sure I dont need to tell you that by moving the torque down the rev range will save you fuel which is why the company in the above post are advertising your remap effectively for free.

However there is no doubt about it if you increase the turbo boost you will get more oxygen into the combustion chamber per intake stroke. If you inrease the fuel to match the incrased oxygen you WILL get an increase in performance and providing you still keep the air / fuel ratio (but obviosly not quantity) EXACTLY as it was before the remap the emmissions will stay EXACTLY the same. If you want proof I can prove it on a rolling road.

The same however cannot be said for a normally aspiraed engine.

The point to remember is that there are far too many cowboy tuners out there. Remap kits are coming on ebay for around £200 and you can buy "2000 tuned files on one cd" off ebay too. It is imortant to remember that just because someone has this kit the are not a pro tuner! Best look for someone with a rolling road and lambda graph - or another way of proving the increase in economy or preformance, or at least someone with years of experience but expect to pay a lot more money. If you ae in any doubt ask to see before and after 3d maps - if they know how to remap a car they WILL be able to this, if they have uploaded a pre-tuned file for someone elses car (that they bought instead of re-mapping themselves) they probably wont even know what you are talking about let alone how to show you!

...and we are talking about remapping here not aftermrket airfilters and exhausts - which in my experience have been known to REDUCE the bhp of a vehicle (when tested on a rolling road).
    Last edited by delambo; 11th November 2006 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by delambo View Post

...and we are talking about remapping here not aftermrket airfilters and exhausts - which in my experience have been known to REDUCE the bhp of a vehicle (when tested on a rolling road).
    yes but i bet like me ,you too have had you fair share of vauxhall chavaliers rolling up swearing blind they have got 850 bhp from a 1.0 corsa with a k&n and a peco backbox .

in all im not disputing remapping as a whole just trying tp point out its buyer beware in this area of the tunning market .
    it always amazes me people will pay for remmaping/tuning witrhout their car even going on a rolling road

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am learnin, very gud points, I have old cavalier too which is 1.7 (isuzu engin) wats cheapest price u can pro remap ecu? and where? any link wuld b appreciate it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mossy600 View Post
    I am learnin, very gud points, I have old cavalier too which is 1.7 (isuzu engin) wats cheapest price u can pro remap ecu? and where? any link wuld b appreciate it

Sorry mate it cant be done. Remapping means altering the parameters in the cars computer - yours wont have a computer.

If you wanted to make it go faster you could advance the pump up. This will nonly make it go faster but will increase your fuel ecnonomy and cut down on emmissions. The flip side is it will be more difficult to start on cold mornings and will knock like a bastard. You could aslo up the boost pressure and wind the govenor screw in 1/4 of a turn or so. This is more of an art than a science just have a fiddle and see what happens.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Intreiging all this ecu remapping goodness, I did my skoda fabia mk1, But i had to pay a guy off fleebay 25 for a modded file returned whithin 17minutes & bing bang bong its +60bhp soo much better.

I have all 28k files from the davos set

is it merge original file with a modded stage 1 file to match HW & SW versions or am i missing the method ?