Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Off to Florida in 4 weeks, any advice?

Hi All, got back yesterday, after 24 hours delay due to a faulty plane, but must say i had a great time,
    we traveled to the hotel by coach that was just outside sanford airport for $21 each if anyone else is thinking of going.
    getting around i-drive was o.k. with the i-ride buses, $1 per journey or you could get multi day passes from most shops but you cannot buy these on the bus.
    as for the shopping mall's, LE was spot on, premium was superb and the sole reason i am eating beans on toast for christmas dinner
    Met LE over there, what a superb fellow, went out of his way to show us around and stuck around for a drink and a game of pool (still to be avenged).
    will post more later but almost at the end of my break.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ~G~ View Post
    Just got back from Florida after 3 weeks was really good.....

Did have a couple of storms while i was there(woke me in the night shaking our villa) but they were at night so no problems with the parks or anything
    you must have been there the same time as me, coz there was an enormus tropical storm during the night (well about 4am) which was fucking freaky!!

did you check out Charlies steak house? it was very expensive but well well worth it!! If you go back i recomend the $55 Fillet! easily the nicest steak ive ever tatsed!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by apllrd View Post
    Hi All, got back yesterday, after 24 hours delay due to a faulty plane, but must say i had a great time,
    we traveled to the hotel by coach that was just outside sanford airport for $21 each if anyone else is thinking of going.
    getting around i-drive was o.k. with the i-ride buses, $1 per journey or you could get multi day passes from most shops but you cannot buy these on the bus.
    as for the shopping mall's, LE was spot on, premium was superb and the sole reason i am eating beans on toast for christmas dinner
    Met LE over there, what a superb fellow, went out of his way to show us around and stuck around for a drink and a game of pool (still to be avenged).
    will post more later but almost at the end of my break.
    BARVO LE. BRAVO !

Thanks
    Karma Level

go by plane ?

DF Legal Advisor & Admin Legal Eagle's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Re: Off to Florida in 4 weeks, any advice?

Hey

It was a pleasure meeting up with apllrd and his lovely wife, who by the way can knock back the spirits.

Had a great day with them at SeaWorld and several very nice evening dinners, for which apllrd insisted on paying for and i thought it would be rude not to accept his hospitality.

Also showed them a little known about Nike Store where trainers where only $ 15 a pair.

Two of the highlights for me, was taking them to Costco and to a Town called Christmas where they mailed their Xmas Cards back to the UK and they will be Postmarked as Mailed From Christmas, FL.

I look forwards to welcoming them again in 2007.

DF a true community.

Regards

Legal Eagle
    Legal Issues ? I'm your man.

Every Visitor To My Office Makes Me Smile.....
    Some On Arriving, Some On Leaving

Appreciative Karma Always Welcome

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gonna bump this cause we're going back again for the first two weeks in December again. (first choice 241 quid each return, flight only)
    had a good time last time but this year we're gonna try something different. been having a look at the go orlando card
    anyone have any experience with this? looks like a good deal for the 7-day pass, we're looking at a night over in miami and the day out to key west with the card, a few days over in tampa/clearwater then the rest on i-drive. the irish pub mentioned above was the murphy's arms, met some nice people in there who we still keep in touch with. we did the universal/seaworld/wet'n'wild last year so we're gonna see what we can do with the go card and maybe do busch gardens as well. also taking plenty of cash for those shopping trips to the malls.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just for the benefit of anybody else who hasnt been to florida and is going

at junctions, the sign parallel to the road you are on is the name of the road. so if you see a sign across a road saying the name of a street then you turn right or left to be on that street. i was very confused because over here that sign would be referring to the name of the street you are already on. quite possibly i'm very thick but it confused me. roundabouts for the win

when we hired a car they ran out of what we ordered and also the size above so we had this massive 5 litre thing. it was ace, super comfortable and very powerful aircon.

remember to take a jacket for when you go indoors. its fucking freezing inside most places.

as somebody else said, dont even think about paying for parks at the door or anything. have a poke about online and see what you can save by buying in advance. you might think alton towers style prices and that even if its half price buying online it'll still be a big hassle for the amount you save but trust me - i'm sure we spent well over a grand on 5 of us in the parks for about 6 days or something and even then we bought a fairly ok deal(but not the best as i think we learned afterwards) buying at the door would probably require a second mortgage.

go into one of the fucking massive walmarts too, just because. you might think the biggest asda/tesco near you is big until you see one. when you do go buy one of their massive watermelons too. i think we went through two in a two weeks. they are about $0.40 and if you cut them up and put them in the fridge it makes for a handy snack for sitting in the sun with. (i know you could do the same thing in this country but its better there for some reason)

oh and bring your ID. you might think shops here are stupid when they ID everyone who looks under 21 but many shops there will ID you if you look under 40
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

went to 2 different walmarts, one on sandlake road for some shopping and one at lbv for some disney stuff, well cheaper than the disney shops, we always get our tickets for theme parks/dinner shows online as well, that's why i am thinking of the go orlando card, we'll be taking the lappy with us this time so we can book online as we go as well.
    looked at mousesavers.com there are some discount and upgrade codes for car hire in orlando as well as discounts for other attractions.

Thanks
    Karma Level

well i'm here, weathers good, in the 80's and sunny, got a decent suv, toyota rav4, from alamo as well, just over £200 with all insurance and roadside,
    got some park tickets from walmart, there is a desk in most and the tickets are a lot cheaper than paying at the gates, they have all the disney ones plus universal, seaworld, wet'n'wild etc, we're also going on a 4 day cruise from miami next week that goes down to key west and mexico, cost about £350 for the 2 of us with a seaview room form carnival cruises, will let you know how that goes.
    just going to do a little more shopping and to get some tanning lotion, wife got burned yesterday so no nightime fun for me until it calms down.
    shuttle goes up in a few days, gonna watch it from space view park in titusville and post our crimbo cards from a town called christmas (it's cool, all the cards arrive with the postmark 'from christmas').
    will update as things go on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by apllrd View Post
    i thought we could just wander around for a few days before we get a car
    you could, but you'll be fucking knackered.

dont wait till u get there to buy park tickets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12