Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Microsoft Outlook/Exchange Question

I have outlook 2003 on my system however everytime I use it and i do a send/recieve whenever i want to check new mail i have to keep doing a send/recieve. on our pc's at work even if outlook is closed and then you open it all recieved mail is already in there, how can i set mine up like that so i do not need to keep doing send/recieve.
    Is this to do with Microsoft Exchange and if so does it need to be from a server or can i run it from my pc and make use of it when the pc is turned on.

Thanks for any advice

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft Outlook/Exchange Question

Are you running this outside of your office? On a laptop for example.
    I have seen this before, and a work around not a fix is to set Outlook to Send / Receive every minute when online.
    Also worth checking that your PC is up to date with all Windows and Office updates.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In a word, you cant. With exchange, it sends and receives on your behalf, so you never get to see the actual process. You will only ever see exchange updating the local mail client.
    Rather than manually doing a send/receive, go to tools>options>mail setup>send/receive and make sure it is ticked to automatically send when connected, and also set the auto download to something like 5 mins

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chubblies View Post
    In a word, you cant. With exchange, it sends and receives on your behalf, so you never get to see the actual process. You will only ever see exchange updating the local mail client.
    Rather than manually doing a send/receive, go to tools>options>mail setup>send/receive and make sure it is ticked to automatically send when connected, and also set the auto download to something like 5 mins
    That's not strictly true, you can initiate a manual send / receive in Outlook 2003 when connected to an Exchange server and you can view the progress. You can also set it to only download headers etc. But your right when online it does automatically send / receive, but that doesn't mean you cannot do a manual send / receive.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont want to connect to my pc at work, this would be for my personal mail, just want it to always check for mail automatically, when setting the settings for 5 minutes in the past i found it didnt always work.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    That's not strictly true, you can initiate a manual send / receive in Outlook 2003 when connected to an Exchange server and you can view the progress. You can also set it to only download headers etc. But your right when online it does automatically send / receive, but that doesn't mean you cannot do a manual send / receive.
    But you only will see the progress between your local client and the exchange service-You cannot force a manual send/receive unless you log onto the exchange box and manually do it from there, unless it is smtp feed in which case it will download mail as it is sent, there is no way of forcing it as it is "always on".

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by theodotcom View Post
    when setting the settings for 5 minutes in the past i found it didnt always work.
    In what way did it not work? Bear in mind that pop is not instant mail, so you will always have to wait a little before you actually receive anything

Thanks
    Karma Level

it would download the first time but then would not download anymore, if i did a manual send/recieve it would download several messages,
    Also does outlook have to be open and active to work

thanks for all the help

Thanks
    Karma Level

it would download the first time but then would not download anymore, if i did a manual send/recieve it would download several messages,
    Also does outlook have to be open and active to work

thanks for all the help
    Not sure why it would not work as a scheduled download, as it is exactly the same as a manual one! Outlook will always need to be open and active

Thanks
    Karma Level

is there any way to have it download the messages while outlook is closed

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

But you only will see the progress between your local client and the exchange service-You cannot force a manual send/receive unless you log onto the exchange box and manually do it from there, unless it is smtp feed in which case it will download mail as it is sent, there is no way of forcing it as it is "always on".
    I don't want to get into an argument here, but of course you can send / receive in outlook when connected to and Exchange server.
    The client and server poll each other, and exchange does push mail to outlook but that doesn't mean you cannot do a manual receive and collect mail that has not yet been delivered.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

is there any way to have it download the messages while outlook is closed
    no, outlook will need to be open to download messages.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    of course you can send / receive in outlook when connected to and Exchange server.
    True, I am not saying that, think we are getting our wires crossed lol! I am saying that you have your A-isp email then you have B-exchange server and finally C-outlook. C will always perform a manual send/receive from B if you ask it, but C CANNOT force B to download from A-Otherwise you would have everyone polling the isp for new mail every minute.
    You can only schedule it to manually download at the exchange server in exchange system manager. The one in the piccy is set to download every 15 mins from the isp, and no matter how many times the outlook user presses send/receive in outlook, they will never get new mail until the 15 minute schedule runs and exchange then goes off and contacts the isp and downloads new mail to exchange[/spoiler]

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers for all the help.
    Appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

chubblies your pic has just confused me totally, is your email with a hosting company exchange server?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

True, I am not saying that, think we are getting our wires crossed lol! I am saying that you have your A-isp email then you have B-exchange server and finally C-outlook. C will always perform a manual send/receive from B if you ask it, but C CANNOT force B to download from A-Otherwise you would have everyone polling the isp for new mail every minute.
    You can only schedule it to manually download at the exchange server in exchange system manager. The one in the piccy is set to download every 15 mins from the isp, and no matter how many times the outlook user presses send/receive in outlook, they will never get new mail until the 15 minute schedule runs and exchange then goes off and contacts the isp and downloads new mail to exchange[/spoiler]
    lol, we are def getting our wires crossed. I was not talking about an outlook client forcing a exchange server to download pop3 i am talking about the outlook client force downloading mail already downloaded to an exchange server. To be honest I always setup Exchange with SMTP delivery so never look at the pop3 connection.
    The point I am trying to make is say you email another user in your exchange org. the email doesn't always get delivered to the recipient straight away, but when the recipient does a send and receive it can force the download from exchange

Thanks
    Karma Level

chubblies your pic has just confused me totally, is your email with a hosting company exchange server?
    Yep, I am running exchange on my server here at home