Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Alan Smith to Cardiff

CARDIFF WAIT ON SMITH DECISION

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has granted Cardiff permission to bring Alan Smith to Ninian Park on loan.
    The Bluebirds, who currently top the Coca-Cola Championship table, must now wait to see if the forward agrees to make the step down a division.
    Smith has struggled to break into Ferguson's first-team plans since returning to action in August after recovering from a broken ankle in February's FA Cup defeat by Liverpool.
    The former Leeds forward has made just four appearances for United this season and could increase his chances of regular first-team action as he looks to regain peak fitness.
    A spokesman for City said: "We have made an inquiry to Manchester United. Sir Alex Ferguson has granted the loan. It is now down to the player."

In his time at Leeds, Smith was sent off there for elbowing Andy Legg in a fiery FA Cup third-round tie which Leeds lost 2-1 in January 2002.
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...671693,00.html

This could very well be on and would be an incredible short term signing for us.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Alan Smith to Cardiff

I am really surprised at this. With Rossi already out on loan this leaves United very short on the striking front, and all it takes is for Saha to get an injury (not unlikely!) and we are struggling. I guess its only for a month, and it will help Smith get back to fitness, but it does worry me a little!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    I am really surprised at this. With Rossi already out on loan this leaves United very short on the striking front, and all it takes is for Saha to get an injury (not unlikely!) and we are struggling. I guess its only for a month, and it will help Smith get back to fitness, but it does worry me a little!
    You are totally right, Utd don't have strength in depth.. They would only have one "recognised" striker in Solskjaer and then who? As with the other part of the field, O'Shea, Richardson, Park, Jones (midfield), silvestre, lee and Evra (defence) are no match in the prem...

ahleung

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WalterPill View Post
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...671693,00.html

This could very well be on and would be an incredible short term signing for us.

I wouldn't bank on it mate, he had an absolutely pathetic performance against our Reserves (made up of 3rd string and youth team).

Thanks
    Karma Level

If this happens it would be great.
    He is supposidly signing a season long loan (not sure though) , but if he only stays till Jan would make more sense for Man Utd as he will be back for the chams league in Febuary.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I heard it was only a short-term loan to see you through a injury to (guessing name) Steve Thompson? I can't see how Fergie would agree to a season long loan unless it was with a view to selling him in January to Cardiff.

@foxy11 - don't forget Smith is still coming back from a serious injury. When he is fit he is an asset to any side.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bet he goes back to Leeds.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

I heard it was only a short-term loan to see you through a injury to (guessing name) Steve Thompson? I can't see how Fergie would agree to a season long loan unless it was with a view to selling him in January to Cardiff.

Yeah Steve Thompson is out this month with an achillies injury. Would also be great for tommo if he came even for short term as he wouldnt need to rush back from injury.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Smith wanted by Leeds and Cardiff

Alan Smith
    Smith is on the recovery trail after a horrific injury
    Leeds have joined Cardiff in the chase to secure Manchester United striker Alan Smith on loan.

United have already accepted an offer from Cardiff but Smith's former club have now expressed an interest.

"We have only just found out about his availability, but there's a possibility of a deal," said Leeds boss Wise.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed: "The fact we are no longer in the Carling Cup, I thought a short-term loan would be ideal."

Smith, 26, joined United for £7m after Leeds were relegated from the Premiership in 2004 but he suffered a broken leg in February and has not played regularly since returning.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said: "I think he has spoken to someone at Cardiff but he is not certain about whether to take it or not.

"He really needs football and reserve team football is really for the youth team and doesn't present the right challenge for an experienced player like Alan.

606: DEBATE
    Why do we want to let Smudge go out on loan when our striking options are limited?

Mike
    606: Have your say

With Ole Gunnar Solskjaer injured, United are already short of cover for Wayne Rooney and Louis Saha, Ferguson admitted: "There is a bit of risk about sending him out but in the present situation he needs games quickly."

Cardiff's move, confirmed by the club earlier on Friday, is thought to have been instigated by chairman Peter Ridsdale, formerly Smith's chairman at Leeds.

However, the Bluebirds' move seems to have alerted Leeds to Smith's availability.

"It would be a boost for the team and also for the fans of the club," said Wise.

"He has done it at all levels, but I'm sure there will be 20 other clubs also interested in him. We'll have to wait and see."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot..._1/6135206.stm
    Last edited by FireBlade; 10th November 2006 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

its time to come home smithy

it may say scum on his shirt but it will ALWAYS say leeds in his heart !

Thanks
    Karma Level

I too think this signing (if it happens) is a massive one for cardiff, i think the arrival will boost an already highly motivated team. It will boost the teams confidence as well knowing he's interested in playing for the club.

I'd be gutted though, i want him at Sunderland !!!
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

what a fall from grace!! Ive never liked smith after what he done to Leeds, i hope he rots in divison one where he belongs!

Thanks
    Karma Level

@foxy11 - don't forget Smith is still coming back from a serious injury. When he is fit he is an asset to any side.

I took that into consideration

Even coming back from injury, his performance was far from good. An injury like that shouldn't affect controlling a simple ball or hoofing a pass out of play.

I'm sure he'll get back into form at some stage , its just he really was poor other than the one shot he had, from about 30 yards. Struck it well but easy for the keeper, not exactly the sole thing you'd want him to provide in 90mins.

Thanks
    Karma Level

it wont be a season long loan. fergie was hoping he'd do a lot better in the carling cup to put him in the shop window. this loan move is just as much about giving him the chance to show some talent, and if they get a decent offer in the transfer window he'll be off

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dave208 View Post
    it wont be a season long loan. fergie was hoping he'd do a lot better in the carling cup to put him in the shop window. this loan move is just as much about giving him the chance to show some talent, and if they get a decent offer in the transfer window he'll be off
    absolutly correct
    and as for the leeds interest ken bates has just been on radio leeds for an hour and when asked about smith as usual he wouldnt be drawn but did say enquires had been made ealier in the week not today as stated in the media

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ahleung View Post
    You are totally right, Utd don't have strength in depth.. They would only have one "recognised" striker in Solskjaer and then who? As with the other part of the field, O'Shea, Richardson, Park, Jones (midfield), silvestre, lee and Evra (defence) are no match in the prem...

ahleung

Evra is a hell of a player in my opinion really come on this year.

As for Smith i reckon he will hold out for a lower Prem team to come in for him like Wigan, Sheff Utd, Watford and Arsenal
    Ozaki the great

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaki View Post
    Evra is a hell of a player in my opinion really come on this year.

As for Smith i reckon he will hold out for a lower Prem team to come in for him like Wigan, Sheff Utd, Watford and Arsenal
    LOL

Thanks
    Karma Level

Apparently he was at fortress Ninian yesterday watching us beat Burnley.

Thanks
    Karma Level

oi we are a higher prem team (well this week anyway!)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by -G-Man- View Post
    what a fall from grace!! Ive never liked smith after what he done to Leeds, i hope he rots in divison one where he belongs!
    what did he do that was so wrong ?.
    choose between man u and newcastle ,dont you think he made the right choice ?
    look where the two teams are now and he was going to be sold anyway.
    even as a leeds fan which i an i did feel a bit hurt that he went to mun u but look at it this way .
    if you knew you had to change where you worked and i do mean work as football may be your pleasure but it is his job.wouldnt you have gone to the place with the best prospects ie prem football,euro football and yes better money ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast