Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Free PC with Broadband internet package

The only downside is that it is a 3yr contract.

http://www.redteninternet.com/
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Free PC with Broadband internet package

some cheeky buggers already started selling the link...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Free-PC-Get-a-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Meh....

Thanks
    Karma Level

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=141>if you an't got a pc then it's a good deal

</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=128></TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81>AOL</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81>BT</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81>Pipex</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81>Tiscali</TD></TR><TR class=text bgColor=#fffff2><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Saving with Redten Internet over three years </TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81>£810.01</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81>£510.01</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81>£630.01</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81>£378.01</TD></TR><TR class=texthome><TD vAlign=center align=left width=141 bgColor=#f0f0f0>Broadband connection</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=128 bgColor=#fffff2>Redten Custom Package £19.99 a month</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f0f0f0>Platinum £29.99 a month</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f0f0f0>BT Total Broadband Option 2 £14.99 a month for the first 6 months and £22.99 thereafter</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f0f0f0>Pipex Max £24.99 a month</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f0f0f0>Tiscali Broadband £17.99 a month</TD></TR><TR class=texthome><TD vAlign=center align=left width=141 bgColor=#f7f7f7>Download speed</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=128 bgColor=#fffff2>Up to 8Mb*
    24Mb* when available</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f7f7f7>Up to 8Mb*</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f7f7f7>Up to 8Mb*</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f7f7f7>Up to 8Mb*</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f7f7f7>Up to 8Mb*</TD></TR><TR class=texthome><TD vAlign=center align=left width=141 bgColor=#f0f0f0>Usage allowance</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=128 bgColor=#fffff2>Unlimited**</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f0f0f0>Unlimited</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f0f0f0>6GB</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f0f0f0>Unlimited</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f0f0f0>Unlimited</TD></TR><TR class=texthome><TD vAlign=center align=left width=141 bgColor=#f7f7f7>LG Redten PC or equivalent</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=128 bgColor=#fffff2>FREE</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f7f7f7>£500</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f7f7f7>£500</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f7f7f7>£500</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f7f7f7>£500</TD></TR><TR class=texthome><TD vAlign=center align=left bgColor=#f0f0f0>Modem & connection charge</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=128 bgColor=#fffff2>£49.99</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f0f0f0>FREE</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f0f0f0>£20</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f0f0f0>FREE</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=81 bgColor=#f0f0f0>FREE</TD></TR><TR class=texthome><TD vAlign=center align=left bgColor=#f7f7f7>Three-year total</TD><TD class=whitetext vAlign=center align=middle bgColor=#fe0000>£769.63</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle bgColor=#f7f7f7>£1,579.64</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle bgColor=#f7f7f7>£1,279.64</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle bgColor=#f7f7f7>£1,399.64</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle bgColor=#f7f7f7>£1,147.64</TD></TR><TR class=texthome align=right><TD vAlign=center colSpan=6>Pricing correct as of 24/10/06
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well if there's a catch it's fooking well hidden - the fair use policy is excellent

don't use p2p/newsgroups from 6pm till 11pm - outside that it's fine.

Even includes a free upgrade to Vista (handy for anyone who needs/wants a legit copy of windoze)

Anyone found a catch yet?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    Well if there's a catch it's fooking well hidden - the fair use policy is excellent

don't use p2p/newsgroups from 6pm till 11pm - outside that it's fine.

Even includes a free upgrade to Vista (handy for anyone who needs/wants a legit copy of windoze)

Anyone found a catch yet?

sorry im confused so what do you mean not to use p2p between those times? i mean im on the 1 meg for supanet and they dont restrict do they? i havent found it to be hhhmmmm... what happens if u use it between then?

Thanks
    Karma Level

i've been looking through the t&c's and cant find anything. seems a good deal. my m8 is gonna sign up to it so i'll let you know what the service is like

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jakir View Post
    sorry im confused so what do you mean not to use p2p between those times? i mean im on the 1 meg for supanet and they dont restrict do they? i havent found it to be hhhmmmm... what happens if u use it between then?
    they prefer if you would not use p2p applications between those times because it disrupts the service for other users as in using up a lot of bandwidth. after the peak hours doubt they''ll kick up a fuss. there's no download limit but they just keep an eye on who's downloading loads during peak time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ok, my m8 phoned up and placed his order. The call centre is based in India.He had to pay a £49.99 connection fee and is being credit checked. if he fails the credit check they will refund the £49.99 connection charge if it has been taken from his account. once his line is activated he will then receive his pc. i'll report back on any probs he has if any.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Did your m8 have a MAC code?

only thing I can't find out from their FAQ's etc. is if the activation is still £49.99 if you provide the MAC - Connection fees are usually waived by most ISP's if you have a valid MAC for them to use.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jakir View Post
    Don't know what you are confused about m8 - it's a pretty simple concept and clear enough - If you use any application regularly during peak-times that uses a lot of bandwidth then expect to get slow speed during the peak times beacause they will effectively throttle your connection by grouping you on a connection with other heavy users so you all compete against each other for the limited bandwidth.

Our Fair-Usage policy is designed to ensure your service remains fast and reliable at all times. A very small number of customers use high bandwidth applications, such as file-sharing software (also known as “peer to peer” or P2P) or other applications, which constantly send and receive many different types of files, usually quite large in size. This type of activity uses a lot of bandwidth and can significantly reduce the speed at which other customers can access the internet during peak hours. Approximately 1% of customers use more than 30% of the available bandwidth during peak hours. We don't believe this is fair to the vast majority of our customers. Please be aware we may give priority to light users over heavy users at peak times. Our Fair-Usage policy automatically identifies the very small number of extremely heavy users and manages their bandwidth only during peak hours 6pm to 11pm, to protect the service for all our other customers. Outside peak hours, the use of the internet by these heavy users is not affected. We think this is a fair approach. It protects the quality of service for the majority of our customers when they most use the service, while at the same time allowing the extremely heavy users to continue to send and receive without restriction outside of peak hours. If you don't use Peer-to-Peer or file-sharing software it is unlikely you will ever be affected by this Fair-Usage Policy. If you do use Peer-to-Peer or file-sharing software, all we ask is that you use this software considerately and send and receive large files outside of peak hours. If you are affected, we will contact you by email to let you know that your usage at peak hours is excessive and is affecting other customers. During peak hours, customers affected by the Fair-Usage policy will share bandwidth with each other and will be separated from other customers. The speed affected customers experience when downloading at peak hours will therefore depend on what these customers are doing. If they are all web-browsing and reading emails, they will experience normal broadband speed. If, on the other hand, they are using Peer-to-Peer or file-sharing software they will experience slow broadband speed. Outside of peak hours, no restrictions apply. To manage your usage, just ensure that any file-sharing or sending and receiving of large files is done outside of peak hours.
    That does indeed seem to be the clearest and fairest "FUP" i've seen so far from any ISP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spike2k1 View Post
    some cheeky buggers already started selling the link...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Free-PC-Get-a-...QQcmdZViewItem
    That is a bloody cheek, amazing the things people get away with on ebay

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    Did your m8 have a MAC code?

only thing I can't find out from their FAQ's etc. is if the activation is still £49.99 if you provide the MAC - Connection fees are usually waived by most ISP's if you have a valid MAC for them to use.
    he hasn't had broadband for over a year so no MAC code m8

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers - i emailed them asking the question - still awaiting a response. Typical isn't it - look into a new ISP and the isp my mum is with goes down the pan the very next day - looks like she'll be going as soon as her line is disconnected by v21/biscit/netservices

Thanks
    Karma Level

sounds great but i need a gaming system
    o r i g i n a l l y k n o w n a s
    MaKas

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 3.30ghz+
    2GB Crucial Ballistix Ram 1000mhz+
    500GB Western Sata-2 16mb Cache
    Nvidia 8800GT 512mb Dx10 PCI-E
    600W Power Supply

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally i'm steering clear for various reasons :-

1 - £49.99 for modem and connection even if you have a MAC code and don't need/want the shitty modem they offer - Compulsory charge they say.

2 - Website FAQ's say the pc is yours to do what you want as soon as you get it however the t&c's state it remains their property for the duration of the 3 year contract.

3 - You don't actually pay £19.99 for the ADSL - when you sign up you take out a loan with a different company for the £760 odd - So if redten go down the pan you're still left with the loan to be paid off and looking for a new ISP so you'll end up paying twice for your broadband.

4 - The system is advertised as having a 19" flatscreen but thats only if you're in the first 10000 new subscribers

5 - they are too closely associated with watford.co.uk