Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Stopping unnecessary high traffic when browsing network folders

At work, we've started to scan in the engineering drawings onto one of our computers - 'the server'. When the folder is accessed from across the network DU Meter (on the browsing machine) reports 76Mbps DL and 2Mbps UL. The filelist appears straight away but I assume this transfer is folder/image data for the browsing of the folder. Thing is this transfer effectively locks up the browsing computer for a couple of minutes each time the folder is accessed.
    Is there a way of disabling this tansfer of background info. All I want to do is see the list and then grab the tif in question - and then wait for the picture to appear. Have set the folders to list view so no x-fer of thumbnail info.
    Win2000 server and XP-Pro clients.
    Any ideas chaps???

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Stopping unnecessary high traffic when browsing network folders

couple of things can cause this, these are my thoughts

When WinXP maps to a network share it registers for events happening on that certain share. So if a file changes on any level in the directory structure of the mapped network share, then each WinXP workstation receives a SMB notification about this change. If many users are updating files on the network share, then it will cause a lot of traffic and make the tree-view in File Explorer flicker.

One can configure it to only register for events happening in the root of the mapped network share:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \Explorer]

NoRemoteRecursiveEvents = 1

One can configure it to not register for any events happening on the mapped network share:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \Explorer]

NoRemoteChangeNotify = 1

Note if using software which relies on being notified of file changes and its files are placed on a mapped network share, then this change in policy might give unpredictable results.

When opening a file over a network, then besides requesting the file contents, then it also request extended details about the file and the share it resides upon. This gives extra traffic and can increase the time it takes to open a file

One can disable this fetching of extended details by adding the following values to the registry:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{3EA48300-8CF6-101B-84FB-666CCB9BCD32}]
    "SuppressionPolicy"=dword:00100000

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{883373C3-BF89-11D1-BE35-080036B11A03}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\CryptoSignMenu]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SCAPI]
    "Flags"=dword:00100c02

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the hacks jellyfish. Not helped my situation tho'. I'm assuming these are all client registry settings and not server-side?

All scans are static data and will never be manipulated by users.
    Additions to the folders are made en-mass when each binder of drawings is processed (typically once a fortnight / month).
    Have tried mapping the root folder "Drawing Scans" to drive N: as opposed to being a simple shared folder on "Server" with no benefit. Folders are all set to read only, are ticked for fast searching.
    Tifs are typically 50k-1550k and I'm x-ferring >60mbps for up to 2 mins a time.
    Next thing to try is to limit the number of files in each folder - currently around 1000 per.

Thanks
    Karma Level

when you state "the server" what hardware is this and what operating system are you running as a server

Thanks
    Karma Level

Server - LOL. I knew that would be a question sooner or later.

Dell Poweredge 600sc 1700 Celeron 256Mb running 10 user Win2000. Serving data only. Soon to be replaced as we're moving to a production system that relies on a network share on the server, connected to XP clients.
    Have worked around the problem by running MSPVIEW first then navigating to the folders. Doesn't seem to lock up this way. /touching wood/
    Last edited by chizh; 1st December 2006 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chizh View Post
    Server - LOL. I knew that would be a question sooner or later.

Dell Poweredge 600sc 1700 Celeron 256Mb running 10 user Win2000. Serving data only. Soon to be replaced as we're moving to a production system that relies on a network share on the server, connected to XP clients.
    Have worked around the problem by running MSPVIEW first then navigating to the folders. Doesn't seem to lock up this way. /touching wood/
    is that Pro or Server - as with Pro their are limitations with what it can do, obviously if you want to run a server you need to run Windows 2000 server. I suspect your initial problem may be due to running Windows Professional.