Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Various DVD+R DL Disks tested by me

Been wanting to do this for a while and finally i have had some time to do some testing on various disks that i have used for 360. im no pro tester so bare with me

kit:
    Burner: Pioneer 111D
    Firmware: TDB 1.29
    360 Drive Tested: Samsung Ms25m, Xtreme 4.2A

Note: All games worked on my sammy ms25, these are just tests of the quality of the disk, i.e any read errors or PI failures, which lead to the disk deteriating over time, so the game may work now, but come 3 months down the line will they work?

Lets start!

1st Disk Quality Test - using Benq 1620pro as the reader, Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.0.0, used CloneCD, set at 4x but it burnt at 2.4x disk: RICOHJPN-D01-67

As you can see the test was going superbly up until the layer break where the score dropped significantly from 93 to 73, but it stayed at 73 and didnt go any lower towards the end of the disk

2nd Disk Quality Test - using Benq 1620pro as the reader and using Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.0.0, used Imgburn, with layer break set in options, set at 8x and burnt at 8x. Disk: RICOHJPN-D01-67

As you can see the test was going superbly up until the layer break where the score dropped significantly from 93 to 70 then to 59 at the end not good im afraid, burning these disks at lower speeds seem to have the edge!

3rd Disk Quality Test - using Benq 1620pro as the reader and using Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.0.0, used clonecd, set at 8x and burnt at ~7x - 8x. disk: RICOHJPN-D01-67

4th Disk Disk Quality Test - using Benq 1620pro as the reader and using Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.0.0, used clonecd, set at 2.4x and burnt at 2.4x. Disk is a DataSafe DVD+R DL Ritek D01

As you can see the test was going superbly up again until the layer break where the score dropped significantly. Not good in my eyes

5th Disk Disk Quality Test - using Benq 1620pro as the reader and using Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.0.0, used clonecd, set at 2.4x and burnt at 2.4. Disk is RICOHJPN-D01-67

i thought maybe i woild get better results using clonecd at 2.4x but sadly this wasnt the case, i doubt i will ever see a RICOHJPN-D01-67 with a decent quality score from these tests! shame really!

6th Disk Disk Quality Test - using Benq 1620pro as the reader and using Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.0.0, used clonecd, set at 6x and burnt at 6x. Disk is a Verbatim dvd+r DL, MKM 001

as you can see, the difference in the verb and the aone is quite noticeable, with the verb there are a few green peaks compared to the ones in the aone results. This is why the verbs are the best you can buy, less errors means less problems, final quality score is 93, and not that much of as problem after the layerbreak, this is where the aone disks let it self down, after the layer break.

Conclusion

Of course many people will have their own views about what disks work fine for them etc etc

but looking the the test results it seems to me that the cheap disks all have trouble after the layer break and the dearer verbatim disk doesnt have this problem.

for me, i will stick to the verbatims as i am a just a quality freak when it comes to disks, i can burn on verbs all day long without worrying about the data thats on them, but with the cheaper disks i certainly wont be putting anything important on them
    Last edited by biggy7; 23rd November 2006 at 05:59 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Various DVD+R DL Disks tested by me

quality test results make, fantastic! :thumbup

Time Flies when you're having fun! A decade of DF - April 2002-2012.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

well done biggy, cheers

maybe more of us should post these kind of results and build a good db for us.
    You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be all right!

Thanks
    Karma Level

nice post Biggy.
    appreciate the effort & for sharing
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Re: Various DVD+R DL Disks tested by me

Biggy7,

I have got a pioneer DVR 111D 1.29fw and cannot get my media to burn at 8x can only get 2.4 its mirror 8x its the ricoh 02 dye...... i know that people have the same issue's, but have you got firmware or the version of firmware to resolve this media issue?

thanks,
    Saint15

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by saint15 View Post
    Biggy7,

I have got a pioneer DVR 111D and cannot get my media to burn at 8x can only get 2.4 its mirror 8x its the ricoh 02 dye...... i know that people have the same issue's, but have you got firmware or the version of firmware to resolve this media issue?

thanks,
    Saint15
    hi mate

the 02 dye you have is not supported by pioneer at this moment in time, the most you are going to get out of it is 2.4x im afraid

the 67 variant is supported though and 8x is supported

we just have to wait and hope pioneer include the 02 media code in their next firmware update.