Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Health fears lead schools to dismantle wireless networks

Radiation levels blamed for illnesses

Teacher became too sick to work

Parents and teachers are forcing some schools to dismantle wireless computer networks amid fears that they could damage children’s health.
    More schools are putting transmitters in classrooms to give pupils wireless access from laptops to the school computer network and the internet.

But many parents and some scientists fear that low levels of microwave radiation emitted by the transmitters could be harmful, causing loss of concentration, headaches, fatigue, memory and behavioural problems and possibly cancer in the long term. Scientific evidence is inconclusive, but some researchers think that children are vulnerable because of their thinner skulls and developing nervous systems.

At the Prebendal School, a prestigious preparatory in Chichester, West Sussex, a group of parents lobbied the headteacher, Tim Cannell, to remove the wireless network last month. Mr Cannell told The Times: “We listened to the parents’ views and they were obviously very concerned. We also did a lot of research. The authorities say it’s safe, but there have been no long-term studies to prove this.

“We had been having problems with the reliability of it anyway, so we decided to exchange it for a conventional cabled system.”

Vivienne Baron, who is bringing up Sebastian, her ten-year-old grandson, said: “I did not want Sebastian exposed to a wireless computer network at school. No real evidence has been produced to prove that this new technology is safe in the long term. Until it is, I think we should take a precautionary approach and use cabled systems.”

At Ysgol Pantycelyn, a comprehensive in Carmarthenshire, parents aired their concerns to the governors, who agreed to switch off its wireless network. Hywel Pugh, the head teacher, told The Times: “The county council and central government told us that wireless networks are perfectly safe, but as there were concerns we listened to them and decided that the concerns of the parents were of greater importance than our need to have a wireless network.”

Judith Davies, who has a daughter at the school, said: “Many people campaign against mobile phone masts near schools, but there is a great deal of ignorance about wireless computer networks. Yet they are like having a phone mast in the classroom and the transmitters are placed very close to the children.”

Stowe School, the Buckinghamshire public school, also removed part of its wireless network after a teacher became ill. Michael Bevington, a classics teacher for 28 years at the school, said that he had such a violent reaction to the network that he was too ill to teach.

“I felt a steadily widening range of unpleasant effects whenever I was in the classroom,” he said. “First came a thick headache, then pains throughout the body, sudden flushes, pressure behind the eyes, sudden skin pains and burning sensations, along with bouts of nausea. Over the weekend, away from the classroom, I felt completely normal.”

Anthony Wallersteiner, the head teacher of Stowe School, said that he was planning to put cabled networks in all new classrooms and boarding houses.

Professor Sir William Stewart, chairman of the Health Protection Agency, said that evidence of potentially harmful effects of microwave radiation had become more persuasive over the past five years. His report said that while there was a lack of hard information of damage to health, the approach should be precautionary.

A DfES spokesman said: “It’s up to individual schools to decide on this.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...1748%2C00.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Health fears lead schools to dismantle wireless networks

parents are worried about that yet give their kids mobile phones, I see the great logic there

Thanks
    Karma Level

what a load of shite

parents have to be the one group of people i hate more than any other, in terms of generalising against people. whether you are moaning about people who scrounge off the state, moaning about illegal immigrants with no intention of working in this country, moaning about kids with no respect or old people who expect all the respect, there is just no comparison to the group of people that are responsible for almost all the problems with the kids of today(in fact exactly all of them since we wouldnt have kids if it wasnt for them, but you know what i mean) and still find the need to moan against increases in technology over random and unresearched fears over things they cant and dont understand

blacksheep makes a good point. although i wouldnt be surprised if most of these particular parents are also against mobiles, it definitly would surprise me if none of them fed their kids unhealthy foods or let them play computer games all day

wireless networks are obviously going to have been tested before being dumped on the world. schools dont put big scary child killing machines in classrooms (with the obvious exception of some of the teachers of course )
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well that's not totally accurate TwoPlanks.

There isn't enough time to fully test something any more, technology is moving along so quickly by the time it's deemed to be safe the 10/50th generation model is out.

It wasn't so long ago that Teachers were smoking in the classroom while teaching children, Only in the past 10~15 years has smoking been deemed to be unhealthy, and even now, people are denying it.

Nothing can truly be fully tested, from drugs (Thalidomide) to errrr, something or another (mumble mumble)

With new technology, comes the problem of creating new tests to make sure everything is safe.

Only in the future, can we really state if something was safe.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm a parent and I dont bitch about immigration or kids with no respect.

the only thing I dont like is being told by the government how I should raise my child to their standards.supernannies, lunch diets, what clothes they can wear (hoodies) etc etc, all bollocks. hes my child , not theirs.

I really doubt that a wireless router etc has enough power to cause radiation sickness or anything like that

as for
    '“I felt a steadily widening range of unpleasant effects whenever I was in the classroom,” he said. “First came a thick headache, then pains throughout the body, sudden flushes, pressure behind the eyes, sudden skin pains and burning sensations, along with bouts of nausea. Over the weekend, away from the classroom, I felt completely normal.”'

sounds like stress to me

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdancer View Post
    I'm a parent and I dont bitch about immigration or kids with no respect.

the only thing I dont like is being told by the government how I should raise my child to their standards.supernannies, lunch diets, what clothes they can wear (hoodies) etc etc, all bollocks. hes my child , not theirs.

I really doubt that a wireless router etc has enough power to cause radiation sickness or anything like that

as for
    '“I felt a steadily widening range of unpleasant effects whenever I was in the classroom,” he said. “First came a thick headache, then pains throughout the body, sudden flushes, pressure behind the eyes, sudden skin pains and burning sensations, along with bouts of nausea. Over the weekend, away from the classroom, I felt completely normal.”'

sounds like stress to me
    ah the exception that proves the rule. good show
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

'I felt a steadily widening range of unpleasant effects whenever I was in the classroom,” he said. “First came a thick headache, then pains throughout the body, sudden flushes, pressure behind the eyes, sudden skin pains and burning sensations, along with bouts of nausea. Over the weekend, away from the classroom, I felt completely normal.
    and I bet they didn't try catching him out by say having the leds lit on the router but no radio signal - it'll all be in his head 99.99999999% guaranteed. Either that or he's the small fraction of the population that is akin the people who pick up radio signals via their fillings.

If a parent is to be worried about wifi they should be worried about the experiments that kids are allowed to carry out with radioactive sources or even using electricity as that gives out electromagnetic waves...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wifi has an effective range of about 100 metres where as mobile phones range is in kilometres and they hold a phone next to thier head!!! Are these people crazy or from mars!!!
    Last edited by ian_jedi; 24th November 2006 at 09:40 PM. Reason: bad spelling :)