Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help total thicky needs help please

hi chaps , normally i can muddle through most things but this has got me.
    I have just got a linksys modem/router from pissy world and it has me stumped.I had a usb modem which i disconnected and connected the router to the (i assume) correct socket on my pc which had a little picture of 3 computers connected.When powered up there is al ight on to let me know that the dsl is connected but my computer doesn't seem to recognise the modem.The manual does say something about setting up the ethernet adapter and try as i might i cant find anything on my computer about how to do this ,is my pc not working properly or am i dimmer than saddam husseins chances of winning his appeal.Thanx in advance

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: total thicky needs help please

You talking about a wireless router with a wireless network adapter? or jut plain old wired router?

you should be able to hop on to your router by opening a web browser and entering http://192.168.1.1 in your address bar, will give you certain menus, if you read the manual that came with your router you will see certain settings that should be checked (although i am pretty sure its plug and play) Generally you need to check that auto DHCP is enabled and you have Maximum Number of DHCP Users : set to at least 1. (i.e you)

The connector you should be plugging in is a standard Lan cable (RJ45) bit like a phone connector (what you plug into your wall socket , a tad fatter and squarer with a catch to hold it in place)

DSL MODEM -- Lan cable -- Router -- Lan cable -- NIC (network interface card on you PC)

If in doubt, turn off your modem completely(dis from mains) for at least 20 seconds, turn off your router.

Turn your modem back on, wait a few mins, then turn your router on, wait a few mins. (this is assuming you have all relevants connections in place!)

Doing this renews your IP from you ISP, hopefully kicking it up the ass.

Erm.. kinda in the dark really...

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanx for taking the trouble to reply fin 23 i will give it another go in the morning when i am less tired and considerably less pissed ! cheers m8

Thanks
    Karma Level

what you need to do is

plug the ADLS model into the port on the router thats probably labeled WAN/Internet

connect your computer using a RJ45 to a port on the router labeled LAN or may be numbered

then you need to fireup IE on your computer to go to the config page (which should be 192.168.1.1 - if this is not the address check the manual)

Once when you load up the configuration page of the router, you will need to configure it with your ADSL username and password and fingers crossed it should connect.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks to you both i really appreciate you taking the time to help me.i think i,ve sorted it out and i am a thicky for sure turns out the lan wasn't enabled in the initial bios set up page .duuuuuurrrrrr!!! now for my next load of problems trying to get my laptop to connect. thanx again