• No

7 19.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you tip?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Do you tip?

If so, why? If not, why not?

Personally I don't. I don't see why people who serve you in a restaurant should be treated any differently to any other person that provides you with a service.

Although if in a group and everyone tips, I will. Reluctantly.....

EDDIE
    All right. Everybody cough up some green for the little lady.

Come on. Throw in a buck.

MR. PINK
    Uh-uh. I don't tip.

EDDIE
    You don't tip?

MR. PINK
    No - I don't believe in it.

EDDIE
    You don't believe in tipping?

MR. BLUE
    You know what these chicks make? They make shit.

MR. PINK
    Don't give me that. She don't make enough money, she can quit.

(Mr. Blonde laughs.)

EDDIE
    I don't even know a fucking Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me just get this straight. You don't ever tip, huh?

MR. PINK
    I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I mean I'll tip if somebody really deserves a tip, if they really put forth the effort, I'll give 'em something extra, but I mean this tipping automatically is for the birds.

(Eddie laughs.)

I mean as far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.

MR. BLUE
    Hey, this girl was nice.

MR. PINK
    She was OK - but she wasn't anything special.

MR. BLUE
    What's special, take you in the back and suck your dick?

(They laugh.)

EDDIE
    I'd go over 12% for that.

MR. PINK
    Hey Look, I ordered coffee, right? Now we've been here a long fuckin time, and she's only filled my cup three times. When I order coffee, I want it filled six times

MR. BLONDE
    Six times? Well, you know, what if she's too fucking busy?

MR. PINK
    Words "too fucking busy" shouldn't be in a waitress' vocabulary.

EDDIE
    Excuse me, Mr. Pink - the last fucking thing you need's another cup of coffee.

MR. PINK
    Jesus Christ - I mean these ladies aren't starving to death. They make minimum wage. You know, I used to work minimum wage. And when I did, I wasn't lucky enough to have a job society deemed tip-worthy.

MR. BLUE
    You don't care they're counting on your tips to live?

(Mr. Pink rubs two of his fingers together.)

MR. PINK
    You know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.

MR. WHITE
    You don't have any idea what you're talking about. These people bust their ass. This is a hard job.

MR. PINK
    So's working at McDonald's, but you don't feel the need to tip them, do you? Why not? They're servin ya food. But no, society says don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That's bullshit.

MR. WHITE
    Waitressing is the number one occupation for female noncollege graduates in this country. It's the one job basically any woman can get and make a living on. The reason is because of their tips.

MR. PINK
    (pauses) Fuck all that.

(They all laugh.)

MR. BROWN
    Jesus Christ!

MR. PINK
    Hey, I'm very sorry that the government taxes their tips. That's fucked up. That ain't my fault. It would appear that waitresses are just one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. You show me a paper says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it. But what I won't do is play ball. And this non-college bullshit you're giving me, I got two words for that: "Learn to fuckin type." Cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent, you're in for a big fuckin' surprise.

MR. ORANGE
    Hey - he's convinced me. Give me my dollar back.

EDDIE
    Hey! Leave the dollars there.

JOE
    All right, ramblers, let's get ramblin'. Wait a minute. Who didn't throw in?

MR. ORANGE
    Mr. Pink.

JOE
    Mr. Pink? Why not?

MR. ORANGE
    He don't tip.

JOE
    He don't tip? What do you mean you don't tip?

MR. ORANGE
    He don't believe in it.

JOE
    Shut up. What do you mean you don't believe in it? Come on, you, cough up a buck, you cheap bastard. I paid for your goddamn breakfast.

MR. PINK
    Alright - since you paid for the breakfast, I'll put in, but normally I would never do this.

JOE
    Never mind what you normally would do. Just cough in your goddamn buck like everybody else. Thank you.
    Last edited by CominAtcha; 3rd December 2006 at 08:25 PM.
    If you can smell it, it's in your mouth.
    Click

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Do you tip?

We don't live in America - waiters here get minimum wage (at least) and food costs shit loads so I don't tip normally. If the service is really good or we're in a large table then we'll tip appropriately.
    'If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?'
    Anon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes, I tip between 10-15% unless the service is poor.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

Funny you brought up the mr pink thingy, cos I was thinking i'm gonna refer to him as soon as I saw the thread title.

Exceptional quality and service are the only reasons I ever tip. If they feel they are not making enough money without tips, then they should've thought about it before accepting the job. It's not my responsibility to help out everyone who cannot think of how to meet their most basic needs.

Also why for example should waiters be tipped, yet car mechanics always have people haggling the price down? I know who is going to work much harder to earn their money.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I maybe fat, but I'm not American, therefore I don't tip.

Most places add a bloody 15% charge anyway these days, so fuck 'em!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've never understood that. Why don't they just add 15% to the price of everything? What are they trying to show, that business is so bad they can't afford to pay staff, and need us to chip in a bit extra so the staff can actually take some money home? WTF? Shit like thats worthy of a post in the whine cellar.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nope. Unless the service is good enough to warrent it. But then again, if the service is that good, why do they need my petty cash when they could go get a higher paying job?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I always do 10-15% anywhere automatically unless they're shite in which case fuck em and we'll just take the piss, and write some tips on a piece of paper, like "smile more", "cheer up" or if they're really shit "get another job!"

It's a nightmare in the US, everyone expects tipping, I once got a bollocking off a taxi driver because I was going to give him change for a tip - the fare was five dollars, so I was scratting up seven to give him, five ones and the quarters in my pocket and he went off on one saying he wanted ten and that tips were to help him feed his family, he just expected a five dollar tip, the thing was he was the most ignorant and miserable taxi driver I've had in any country, in the end he booted me out the car - never really understood that bit as we were where we wanted to go, and he got fuck all tip!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i generally do tip except if the service or food is shite, and if they have the cheek to automatically add a service charge on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tip if service is good and if the place doesnt automatically add a service charge, I hate it when they do that.

I know a few of the staff in the Hard Rock Cafe in Manchester, one of them works the door seating people etc. Last year he asked if he could serve tables as he was getting pissed at the money the servers were making. He was getting about £200-250 a week extra in tips when he was doing it so was loving it, unfotunalty he fell over the tram lines and broke his arm so ended back in the door.

I even used my rule over in the US, service is normally excelent over there as they want the tips. In the house of blues in vegas the bar man expected a tip for getting me 2 bottles of water. I gave the exact money so he was really pissed at me.
    In Newark airport we were sat at counter in a burger place, it took ages to get our order taken, the guy never asked if the food was ok, we did try to grab his attention as one of the meals was crap, normally it is free refils we were never offered a refil or asked if we wanted to buy another drink. we ended up paying another server we needed to go. I went to the loo near the place and when I came out the original server came after me with a laminated sheet informning me I needed to leave a tip. I sold him why I didnt he still he left empty handed when I told him his service was crap and didnt try to defend himself.

I will even tip if we have problems and they are sorted out for us.

US taxis annoy me expecting a tip and automatically adding on to the fare, I pay the price on the meter if they were good and helped with bags great they get a tip but the ones that drive like a maniac not a chance, I take their badge number and complain.
    Last edited by Little John; 3rd December 2006 at 08:55 PM.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Vegas is a nightmare for tipping ain't it, my mate upset one of the barstaff in HOB too, it was a nightmare as whenever he went back up to the bar the barman told the other staff he didn't tip and they didn't serve him again!

Always like it in the Voodoo Lounge, whenever you leave them a decent tip they all go crazy and start doing some flair stuff, it's really cool!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes, unless I am given a reason not too, usually 10%-15%

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I only tip when the service is good. My girlfriend always wants to leave a tip even when the service has been shite. Her arguement is that they don't make that much. Bollocks to that, if they don't make that much and rely on their tips to make up their wages then they should come to work with a better attitude.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yes most of the time..... just can't help myself.... giving money to the poor makes me feel good lolol

Thanks
    Karma Level

I hate the whole aspect of leaving a tip, you feel like a fucking tight cunt if you dont leave one, but why the fuck should you??

They get paid minimum wage like anyone else but you wouldn't tip someone in say a clothes shop would you?

If a doctor cured you of cancer, you wouldn't give him a tip, but you're expected to give one to someone who just carried your pizza 20ft across a room.

I hate when they give you the bill aswell and it's signed with a little smiley face beside it, fuck off!

Thanks
    Karma Level

If a place adds an automatic service charge they get fook all (cheeky coontz)
    If the service and food is good, they get 10-15%
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tip 10% if the service has been good, if you go to a place often enough it pays off, free drinks and far better and quicker service.

The places that automatically add it onto the bill, you can tell them you're not paying it as it's something they can't force on you.

The people working in resturants and bars don't earn that much money, certainly not enough to live on in some parts of the country, tips are the only way they can make more money and if you give a cash tip rather than on a card they won't get taxed on it too.
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM

Thanks
    Karma Level

normally 10% unless service is bad. if service is particularly more then all depends on how much i paid, but can be anything up to 25%. reason is that i have worked in pubs, bars and restaurants for about 7 years now.. and the wage you get is diabolical when you consider how much you do. working behind a bar is fucking hard work, especially if you do cocktails. a lot of people seem to think you finish when the bar closes, but say if the bar closes at 3am, you may have started at 2pm doing set up and not finish till 5am due to the breaking down.

as for service charges.. complete joke. very rarely do the staff see any of it, firms just use it as a mechanism to make their prices seem lower. i have seen people say they don't want to pay the service charge and have it stricken off their bill maybe 3 or 4 times in my life, i remember one of these left an actual tip instead saying the staff won't see the service charge and that he wanted us to receive our deserved tips.

people may moan about it, but no1 is pointing a gun at your head. it makes me sick how people are tight about, considering how much effort you make to please them. i don't try my best to make a tip, i do it because it's what i'm paid for. despite this i don't think 2-3 quid is a lot for someone to pay if they've paid 20-30 quid for food/drinks and an hours worth of service.

i think the US hit the nail on the head with respect to tips. most people that use restaurants aren't going to miss a few quid, and the staff do really appreciate it.

and saying that people know how much they will get paid.. true, but it is the only work people can get. for the record i always used to tell the staff not to expect a tip, but to earn one - usually got them giving 100%.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    considering how much effort you make to please them. i don't try my best to make a tip, i do it because it's what i'm paid for.
    If your just doing what you're paid for, why do you expect an extra couple quid? so i've spent 20/30 quid and got an hours service, big deal, forgive me if im wrong but the restaurant is paying you for the service, not me.

If i told you before i ate the meal that i wasn't gonna give you a tip, would you drop the fake smile and give me crap service now that the lure of a tip is gone?

Im not having a go at you personally, just in general, i reckon thats what would happen, or at the very least there would be some snide remarks made in the kitchen "spit in that cunts food, isnt gonna give us a tip, the tight fucker!!"

lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

working in a shop i feel that i should get tips when i go to exceptional lengths, i mean just tonight i had to tell a guy that we don't in fact sell red chardonnay (apparently his girlfriend likes red wine and asked for chardonnay so he guessed it was red) and recommend him a nice white chardonnay to get him laid tonight. another guy didnt like our size of prepacked potatoes so i said he could open the bag and put the rest to sell loose at much hassle to myself. somebody else wasnt sure about an expensive bottle of liquer so i said he could buy it and i'd give him a refund if it wasnt what they wanted and he brought it back tonight. all these people know damn well that its not my job, in fact the last two directly contradict my job and could have got me in trouble. they all left delightfully happy and not just bloated and pissed like they would be after a meal in a restaurant and not one would tip me. in restuarants people just whip out the card to pay and everyone roots through their wallets to get change but in the shop its already in their hands and they still wont hand it over

some guys in the shop used to take it literully when folk said keep the change (not if they actually specified they wanted it in the charity box though) and bought a 10p chocolate bar or something at the end of the shift. not much to show really is it

it proves that people dont want to tip, people do it because its normal to do it in a restaurant

i do leave tips though but only for complex orders in bars. i dont really eat in restuarants with table service unless i'm with the family in which case somebody else pays. the reason i do it is that i know how delighted my friends who work in bars are with tips and how happy they get even with just a few pounds. i give them to taxis that take us home from town too because i know a lot of taxis sit in their driveways all night and they just do contract work during office hours so i like to appreciate the ones that go out to get their car full of sick and abused by drunks. i wouldnt do it anywhere else because i wouldnt want to look like a weirdo though, even though others are just as deserving

when i was a paper boy i got a lot at xmas, and that was really good. i mean if all your customers give you £5 that can make a massive amount of money and its so much more to somebody that young. i hiked up to some posh guys house at the top of a massive hill 12 times every year with some posh person magazine and he gave me a £10 tip at christmas, and i still remember it now and try to be nice to him when he comes into the shop to pay his bill for the magazine. it goes a long way

i think its a good way of making people work harder too, like the ultimate performance based payrise so you get better service as a result
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks