Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Fileopen PDF password encryption - help

Hey All,

I hope this is the best place to put this thread, if not, feel free to move it mods

Right. I've legitimately purchased some documentation that has been given to me in PDF format. (6 x pdf files), located on a CD.

It came on a CD, which has a Fileopen installer, it installs fileopen and its own application and then when you run the program it opens the pdf's.

Now, i have what i can only assume is a damaged CD, as my dvd, cd, or dvd-rw drives don't want to read the disc, they struggle like mad. However, i did manage to get it open ONCE, and I copied the contents of the CD to my usb mem. stick.

I CANNOT open the files - all I get is a pop up saying "This file was created using an unlicensed evaluation copy of Fileopen publisher." I click ok, and another box appears with exactly the same message.

If I try and open the individual PDF, it says I don't have rights to view the file, and then opens IE and links to the sellers webpage.

I don't want to print, edit or anything like that, I just want to open them!!!

Now, I've tried contacting the seller, and i've had no joy. Ideally, I'd love to have the 6 PDF's without passwords, but I don't think its easy. I've tried copying everything I copied from the CD, to another, new blank CD, but it didnt work. I don't know what the difference is - maybe i missed a file, maybe the cd needs a certain name?

So, does anyone have any ideas on this? Don't forget the seller isn't willing to help me without charging again, as they are stating the cd was damaged by me.

Can I bypass the password(s) somehow? Can I do anything about this?

I doubt I can, I just thought I'd ask.
    Please help, if it is at all possible. Thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fileopen PDF password encryption - help

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes I have, i've tried those.

I get an error about 40bit RD4 encryption. Non-standard.

Thanks
    Karma Level

how long have you had this disk? and how did you pay - if you paid via credit card then speak to them to do a refund. Also if you've had the disk only a short period of time then the seller is being a bit unreasonable and a word to trading standards or the like/threat of small claims court may kick him up the ass and get him to help out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

right folks... progress has been made.

Basically - i SOMEHOW managed to get the cd to read in one of the 5 computers i have access too. What i did notice is that the cd virtually looked see-through - which probably means the laser had problems reading the data.
    I covered the top of the cd and got it to read (just about) and got into the PDF's.

Once in the PDF's, i exported EVERY page/image into a jpeg. This at least means I have been able to dump all jpegs onto cd. I've lost all pdf navigation/links, but the pages are viewable nevertheless.

The pdf's and original cd were about 100-200MB in size. Its taken 2CD's (about 900MB) once extracted into JPEGS! (Just goes to show the compression!)

Anyway, the seller is no longer contactable, as the email addresses and phone number i have are both disconnected/not-valid, so that didn't help too much

But i think i'll have to do with the jpegs! IF i can be bothered i could remake a PDF at somepoint, but adding the navigation etc could be an A*SE of a job!

Thanks for all your help and ideas peeps.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Assuming the info is all in black & white, or four colour....
    (1) convert all the JPEGS to GIF. Get an app to open and batch print to a PDF printer. Still no navigation, but easier to manage than hundreds of JPEGS.

or

(2) convert all the JPEGS to TIFF. Pass through a electronic 'reader' to convert to text. Proofread and edit mistakes. Print to PDF.