Close

Thread: Early adopters

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Early adopters

I don't get you guys that have to have the latest console literally on the day of release. You get all the stress of orders getting delayed/not fulfilled and then when it does arrive its the wrong voltage, there are no games, its full of bugs and in general doesn't live up to the hype. Why do you guys do it?

I'm still considering whether or not to get an Xbox 360; but if I do get one it will be safe in the knowledge that millions of little guinea pigs have alread beta tested it for me
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Early adopters

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    I don't get you guys that have to have the latest console literally on the day of release. You get all the stress of orders getting delayed/not fulfilled and then when it does arrive its the wrong voltage, there are no games, its full of bugs and in general doesn't live up to the hype. Why do you guys do it?

I'm still considering whether or not to get an Xbox 360; but if I do get one it will be safe in the knowledge that millions of little guinea pigs have alread beta tested it for me
    I think there are a number of reasons, some do it simply because they are game crazy, others because of vanity and others because of the technology.

I've never gone wild for game consoles but I did get a 360 on the day of release and I'm glad I did. I've now found a game console that has wrestled me away from PC gaming for good. I never thought that would ever happen...........

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know what your saying GTI. I find it mad that people will que up and wait for hours just for a plastic box.

Each to their own I guess, better to be doing that than shooting needles into your arm!

I had an xbox 1, it was the first machine (console wise) I owned. I only got it as my friend showed me he's modded up one and that sold it to me.

I got a 360 earlier in the year and love it. Im not a massive gamer but what they have done is fantastic (with regards to live)

It does piss me off with how buggy and rushed some of the games can be, always patches etc...

Anyway, I love it, Wii looks good fun also. Consoles rock

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah and the 360 is still buggy as fuck

Thanks
    Karma Level

I NEED A WIIIIIIIII

I just love games and technology so I am usually hell bent on getting one on release or near as possible. The wii has eluded me so far though as my pre order has been put back by lx direct (bastards). I think the need is some kind of addiction. I guess it is a bit sad but I get excited when i get a game before its even released on retail like gears of war was.

Thanks
    Karma Level

im a pretty big gamer, but ive never rushed out to get a machine on the day of release untill the wii, this is mainly because its something so new, but also because it has some games i really want to play early from day one. In the past ive bought machines 6-12 months after they launched becasue thats when there was a game worth having. the cube i bought for mario, the ps2 i bought for metal gear, xbox...umm, so i could solder a mod into it.

I too cant see the point in rushing out to by a machine like the 360 or the PS3 right away, all they offer for the first 12 months are the same games u can get on current consoles with a few extra bells n whistles and considering i can download the older ones for nothing, theres very little making me want to spend 200-400 on a console and 40-50 on a game i can basicaly enjoy for free.

I have to admit, opening the box and seeing the wii for the first time in reality, plus being one of the first to own one in the UK does have a great feeling to it, alot of the excitement for me when getting a game is it all being new and you have no idea what your gonna see when you power on, a few months after launch the games have been all over the tv, net and magazines and when u finally get to play it, its not so interesting.

Now the 360 is out of its infancy, the games are so much better, GoW, rainbow Six, Viva Pinata etc all look 10x better then the launch games and i dont really expect there to be a game that is worth bothering with on the PS3 for atleast 6 months. There are people who just want the latest gadgets, but i do agree, whats the point, after the history of sony consoles being so unreliable, im definetly not rushing to blow 425 quid + on one.

I did spend £450 on an imported N64 tho...but thats different..i couldnt wait 12months fo the UK release to play Mario 64
    Last edited by {{909}}; 13th December 2006 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm with you GTI, I don't get it at all. And I really am at a loss to understand the people who queue for hours just to get their hands on a machine. Back when I was a kid I don't recall any of my friends ever saying that they were off to the shops to queue for 98 days to get the latest Spectrum 48k. Then again, the shops didn't even open in order to allow people to do this. There was never a big fuss on "release day", it was in the shops or it wasn't. Queueing up was something the girls did for the semi-famous pop stars of the day!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've never owned a games console, but this new trio of machines are tempting but I don't think I'd use one enough if I got it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

people que to be the first to see a movie, in some cases other things too, harry potter books saw massive midnight launches in same places.

Thanks
    Karma Level

But when did people start this insane queueing to be the first? I mean its bloody ridiculous!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    But when did people start this insane queueing to be the first? I mean its bloody ridiculous!
    Not in Amsterdam mate, when the 'ladies of the night' swap shifts the ques are massive. Everyone body wants shotgun, otherwise your gonna be stirring the porridge.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    There are some people out there who feel the need to be part of some hype-driven shared experience which they achieve by queuing like lemmings. I guess it dates back to the days of teenage girls queuing outside woolies for the latest Cliff record.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

I guess it dates back to the days of teenage girls queuing outside woolies for the latest Cliff record.
    Now that I can understand.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I didn't mind queuing when I took part in the Houston 500

Get down to ASDA or whatever and treat yourself lads, its crimbo!

Thanks
    Karma Level

so thats why it turned into the houston 750 then, DJAd kept going back for another go!

Thanks
    Karma Level

My console madness has been passed down from generation to generation.......... When i was a kid my old man had a NES with Track & Field and then a SNES, I was pretty much forced to get a Mega Drive for my Birthday by him one year and its just gone on from there really.

I did buy 2 360's on release day but only to sell for a tidy profit on ebay and then i got one for xmas last year off the Mrs........... Dont think im gonna go for a PS3 but when the Wii drops down a bit in price ill get one for sure

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur