Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default March launch + firmware update

Found on the playstation.com forum:

Quote:
    INFO GATHERED FROM LONDON’S www.threespeech.com event with Phil Harrisson (December 12th 2006)

Playstation 3 european launch within the first 2 weeks of March 2007, as explained to me, Sony’s financial year ends on the 3rd week of March and therefore they want to launch before the next finanacial year begins. Judging that UK consoles always release on a friday expect the european launch on either the 2nd or 9th of March. Though a strong hint was that they are hoping to drop the playstation 3 on the 3rd day of the 3rd month (march 3rd).

On the same day as playstation 3’s euro launch SCE are to distribute there march firmware update with features including:

multi-tasking (included will be audio/video conferencing while browsing the xmb and its features/ gameplay).
    new xmb display options
    new animations for audio playback.
    new photo album options.
    playstation store auto ressume
    psp remote play advanced access option (so that you can have access to your ps3’s content anywhere that has a internet connection)

Firmware will be constantly updated, with the view of a tv tuner and tivo like service to be available in the 3rd quater of 2007.

Also it is hoped that the same week as the euopean launch of the system will also see the worldwide launch of the ps3’s HDip Camera (specifications to be announced at a later date). In terms of other accessories, Sony dont see it as a necesity to manufacture playstation branded headsets, keyboards or mice, as put to me by Jonathun of SCE’s threespeech.com ‘Third party companies can offer these accessories to the consumer at a price which SCE could not compete’.

A extension to the Sony online store will also make its debut in march. Titled ‘Sing Store’, PS3 owners will be able to purchase songs for there ‘Sing Star’ kareoke programme from a slew of artists and will also be given the option to view the songs purchased as music videos via the video playback option within the xmb.

In terms of the european online store, while still being extremley vague, a spokesman for SCE europe was able to explain that Sony would have no defense if they were to charge the european consumer more than in other regions as there are no extra costs on digital distribution as apposed to a product with packaging etc. So expect a $15.00 download to cost people in the UK around £6.50.

other notes-

PS3 will be sold at £425 or lower, meaning we could have it cheaper then the previousley stated price.
    Dont expect to see 20GB models available in europe.
    No VGA cables to be released.
    No plans to make RSX available to Linux OS, due to security issues.
    A service to reserve your playstation online id will be up and running this weekend or next.

Sony make a much smaller loss on European PS3’s, so expect production to be diverted there, if needed.
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: March launch + firmware update

PS3 will be sold at £425 or lower
    I REALLY hope it is lower!! But at least we know its not going to be more than £425, but thats still about $834 USD!! They only have to pay $599 which is only £305, I hate the fact they we always seem to get shafted!!

£120 is quite a bit of money! No wonder
    Sony make a much smaller loss on European PS3’s
    EDIT: Doesn't it cost them $899 to manufacture, so £425 would mean a loss of just $65 per console! Instead of $300 per console!!
    Last edited by Mario87; 14th December 2006 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i think sony will bring it out at £399, they really need to sweeten up the european market after the string of disapointments. I still wouldnt bet against another delay tho.

Thanks
    Karma Level

£399.99 is still $785! So thats still a loss of just $114 compared with $300! (That's if I remember correctly and it costs them $899 to manufacture!)

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah but its a fact were just gonna have to pay more than everyone else, the quid is stronger and all that crap. I cant see sony selling it much less, it would be a good thing for them is they did tho.
    Almost everyone you ask about PS3 says they are interested but are waiting for the price to fall.
    If the march launch comes arround and they have something truely AAA grade to play on iot, a competetive price and an established online service, it'll drive the nails into M$'s coffin even faster then Billy can manage on his own

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yea, would love to see it at a competitive price with the 360, and some AAA titles! That would surely secure Sony a win!

Like you say, all my mates are wanting a PS3 or a PSWii combo (I'm being greedy and going for all 3, esp seeing as I get "free" 360 games), but most are either waiting for a price drop or GT5!

Most of my mates only really play their PS2's for Pro Evo and GT4! Only one of my other mates is as internested in games as I am, and he's got a 360 but doesn't like it! So he's gonna sell it and get himself a PSWii (getting his Wii in Jan with Super Mario Galaxy)!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldn't dream of paying more than £200 for a console...so I can see me waiting a couple of years for the PS3

Shooooooo-ryuken!