Close

Thread: Slingbox?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Slingbox?

Im really interested in getting myself a slingbox (Will be a xmas pressie from myself ) and was wondering:

1. Has anyone got this running on a MAX DSL (8MB) - and what is the performance like? (i have been thinking of requesting that i be switched back to my standard 2MB line as i found that to be more stable)

2. Where is the best place to get one, are they available second hand, cheapest place ive seen them is Currys at 129.99 for the SB150-110 (surely currys cant be the cheapest around!!)

I have SKY+ which is what i plan to use it on

thanks in advance for any advice, and a very merry Christmas to you and yours

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Slingbox?

My missus did "demos" of these at PC World (Bolton & Bury) & Currys (Wigan) 2 weeks ago (she's not an expert but a product demonstrator) and I think you'll find that only DSG (Currys, PC World & The Link) sell them (or so Currys said).

PCW had them up at £179.99 while Currys reduced them that day to £129.99.

Some of the details my missus had to collect included returns. Currys had most of their sales from November returned due to stuttered streaming and slow remote response.

I didn't like the look of them myself, but hey..

HTH

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you aren't that bothered about spending money have a look at orb.com if you've got a tuner card in the pc already this will do the same thing for free as well as stream other media (music etc)

cas

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You need a minimum upstream of 256k for the slingbox.I'm on the 10meg from N-T-L and use my box everywhere.I was sitting on Pattaya beach while watching the 2nd ashes test and also have is streaming to my T mobile Vario II while i'm out and about here in the UK.It's a great bit of kit if you have what it needs to work correctly.
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    if you aren't that bothered about spending money have a look at orb.com if you've got a tuner card in the pc already this will do the same thing for free as well as stream other media (music etc)

cas
    Casio - ive had a look at this, lokks very interesting, but i have not been able to work out if it has the capability of changing channels or controlling the sky+ box etc, can you advise........thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hotentot View Post
    Casio - ive had a look at this, lokks very interesting, but i have not been able to work out if it has the capability of changing channels or controlling the sky+ box etc, can you advise........thanks

You should be able to do it yea, with the IR eye thingys , I use it on my MDA PRO

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive not got it connected to sky and i don't think it can to be honest unless you have it connected to a media center and have the appropriate ir senders personally i use it for tv shows that ive recorded with a media center and anything ive downloaded and it works fine for me, although its shitty on a mobile without 3g lol

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

See my posts in this thread which show video from my slingbox while I was sitting in my hotel room next to Nana Plaza in Bangkok:

http://digital-forums.com/showthread...light=slingbox
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks
    Karma Level

m8 he was meaning the orb software not slingbox as far as i know

Thanks
    Karma Level

thats it !! im sold to slingbox, infact i found a site called radioandtelly.co.uk that allows you to download the slingplayer and then connect to their private slingbox to test it from a location of your choice (sort of like the sainsburys "try before you buy" idea) it's niceee

i ordered my slingbox from dixons last night....advertised at 179, using the discount code NOW35 i got it for 129.......i'll let you all what its like when ive got it and its all setup

GOD!! i havent bought myself a gadget in over .......errrrr...i cant remember how many years, and now, in the space of a month, ive got a BNIB panasonic Vieira (Currys sale NOW ON!), TomTom on my new Nokia N73 (Thanks again Russ) and blinking Sky TV on my laptop and mobile where ever i go in the "new age" world..................i'm frikking overdosing i tell thee

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Got one of these today!

£83.99 from john lewis using £20 off orders over £100 from HUKD.

Working great on my lappy.

I wont be doing much work tom with England V India on in work!

And itll come in handy when the midweek games are on during the Rugby world cup so i can watch at my desk!!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington