Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Photos Canon Powershot A85

I'm getting one of these off my mate tomorrow for a really good price (£25).

I know it's a model that is a couple of years old but the only digital camera I've previously owned is a kodak (the "watchdog" one) and it was sparse on features. I like the look of long exposures, this does up to 15s I think.

Has anyone got any useful tips for this model? I will be taking some photos next weekend hopefully. I've seen some polariser kits (and other lens conversions) are any of these worth considering. I live 5 minutes away from a forest so I should be going down there when it's drier.

I know it's not a DSLR, I would really like one but can't justify the outlay for a 'possible' hobby. For £25 (owned but unopened) I think the A85 will be good for me, plus the battery life is supposed to be good. On the kodak it was awful.

Cheers.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Canon Powershot A85

I think you have yourself a bargain there.

The only thing I'd recommend for it at the moment are some decent high capacity rechargeable batteries. Worry about extra filters and lens converters etc once you've got to grips with it. If you're thinking about long exposure shots though you'll will at some point need a tripod of some sort.

I've no tips specific to that model but have a read through the "Photography tips" sticky for some general ones.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks Slarti. I have some 2500mAh ones & a rapid charger, now I have a proper use for them

I'm aware of the potential E18 problem so I will get a decent case sooner rather than later to keep the zoom mechanism clear of debris.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought this camera a couple of years ago as my first digicam
    and it is a great bit of kit for what it is.

I spent two weeks in France with it and photographed the shit out of the place, and took some great shots IMO

Good rechargeables are a must, and you can get a decent starter tripod off fleabay for cheap.

Play about with the settings, you'll feel like it is an SLR after that kodak thingy - me dad's got one and its wank

I still keep the A85 with me when I'm out, my little workhorse. I still get shy pulling out my S3 so sometimes I feel less self concious with the little one.

Hope this helps

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wow. I picked this up this evening, what a cracking little camera.

I don't know how to do anything special yet but I tried a few things, the stitch-assist is a nice looking feature. I tried a long exposure from the armchair, I chose 15s and it was something like iso50, the image was kind of yellow all over (like I said I don't know what's going on yet - the manual hasn't had the spine cracked yet). Seen a 1GB card on 7dayshop for £9 & will get that soon. Shot a small video with the a85 too. Lots to do.

Someone might be thinking "where were you in 2005?" but it's a revelation to me & I'm looking forward to taking many pictures. I've taken 30 so far (plus the video), on the old kodak the batteries would have petered out ages ago.

Very pleased