Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Nikon D40 or CANON 400D

Looking at getting myself a SLR, I like the look of the D40 as its light and compact but the Canon 400D looks good to. I wonder which takes better pics, I know the Canon is 10m and the Nikon 6m res but that doesnt always guarantee better pics. About £150 difference between cameras

Any advice would be appreciated

bub

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nikon D40 or CANON 400D

400D wins hands down.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is that a biased or fair opinion, in what ways better, for eg I thought Nikon lenses are the best,

cheers
    bub

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would buy Sigma lenses anyway. Do youmean the stock lens. I like the way Canons work but then again I haven't used a Nikon. The stock lenses on the Canons can be a bit slow on autofocus apparently, mine is a bit slow for AF on fast stuff but that came with a 300D, but you can always get the Sigma 18-55 lens instead of the Canon offering as a package from many retailers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a canon d400, very happy with that... never had other than canons...

Thanks
    Karma Level

thank for replies, When you say stock lense does that mean the standard lens that cost about £30 more than the body? if so thats what I mean.
    Are you saying the Sigma 18-55 on the canon is better than the actual canon 18-55. How much is the sigma lens because I could just get the body.

Thanks
    bub

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dunno about pricing but I would check somewhere like Warehouse Express for a deal but I would also ask Slarti if he has any recommendations on best place to buy. I think you will only be looking at about 40 quid difference for the Sigma vs the canon lens. I hear that the Sigma is better yes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks, will go to my local cam shop and have a good look as to what I thinks suits me mosr. Looks like the 400D at the moment

Thanks
    Karma Level

TBH both very capable cameras. If you are new to D/SLR, then neither will let you down. D40 has some limitations, notably inability to work with non-DSLR lenses. As this is your first camera, shouldn't affect you. The canon has a lower ISO (sensitivity) and slightly better noise control. The nikon has better ergonomics and screen/UI. Canon doesn't have spot metering, Nikon does. Nikon has fairly advanced 3d metering, and sophisticated flash control.

There's so little in it for a newcomer, that I'd suggest you handle both for a while to see which feels best in the hand. TBH no matter which camera you choose, you're more likely to be the limiting factor of any images rather than the camera.

FTR I used canon prosumers, got tired of them dying on me and swapped to nikon d70s. Canon pictures are cleaner, but nikon wins on usability and build. Once you get how nikon does colour, pics come out lovely.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks eolair for advice, just out of interest for a beginner, i was wondering especially when the missus uses it which out of the 2 will take better pics on full auto mode.

Thanks
    bub

Thanks
    Karma Level

both much of a muchness. IIRC the nikon kit lens is slightly less soft, and does on-board flash pics better. As long as knows not to clip heads etc the pics come out just fine. The only other tricks might be to show her how/why to use spot metering on P mode when lighting is tricky, or to use the flash in daylight when sun is behind people.

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers for info, ive shopped around and can get the Nikon £100 cheaper than the canon, but i suppose the canon is 10mill res in comparison to the Nikon 6 mill.
    I decided to get an SLR because I felt my compact dig camera was good but gave me crap pics at my kids school play, I did mess with settings but I think I needed a more powerful flash or something as pics where dark and not very clear with or without the flash on. I tried slower speeds etc but no good. Thats why I want a camera that will take good pics in all situations.

cheers
    bub

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    gave me crap pics at my kids school play
    I was under the impression that folk weren't allowed to take pics of kids at plays and stuff these days. You are lucky as everyone I know with kids can't fo it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If price is the main concern I'd say go with the Nikon, if not, go with the Canon. Whichever you choose though I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the results.

Here's a side by side comparison of the two, with links to detailed reviews and sample images - LINK

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    I was under the impression that folk weren't allowed to take pics of kids at plays and stuff these days. You are lucky as everyone I know with kids can't fo it.
    No my kids school is ok about pics, loads of parents where taking pictures, I know its become a sad world because of all the peados etc, so i suppose they will end up eventually banning photography their aswell.

Thanks for reviews slartibartfast, ill have a look now

bub

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi bub

I'd go for the 400d too. I've got a 350D and love it.

The only other thing I'd say about moving up to DSLR is be sure you really want or need to - but I guess you've already decided that. The compacts do everything for you in the camera, you hook it up to the pc and your pics look ok.

With a DSLR if you're using the "creative modes" as canon call them ie not the auto or other such modes you need to do the hard work not the camera - you'll be shooting in raw not JPeg. You also need to spend time post processing the images in Photoshop or some similar product. Raw images tend to come out of the camera softer then processed JPEGs and often you'll hear people moaning that they're DSLR is faulty or not as good as their old compact.

The other issue is lenses - now that's where the real expense is. Good lenses are not cheap. And cheap lenses aren't always good.

Go for it though because with a bit of extra effort you will notice the difference in your images.

Good luck and enjoy your new camera

MML

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by muttleymacclad View Post
    Hi bub

The only other thing I'd say about moving up to DSLR is be sure you really want or need to - but I guess you've already decided that. The compacts do everything for you in the camera, you hook it up to the pc and your pics look ok.

With a DSLR if you're using the "creative modes" as canon call them ie not the auto or other such modes you need to do the hard work not the camera - you'll be shooting in raw not JPeg. You also need to spend time post processing the images in Photoshop or some similar product. Raw images tend to come out of the camera softer then processed JPEGs and often you'll hear people moaning that they're DSLR is faulty or not as good as their old compact.

The other issue is lenses - now that's where the real expense is. Good lenses are not cheap. And cheap lenses aren't always good.

Go for it though because with a bit of extra effort you will notice the difference in your images.

MML

this is what crosses my mind when i consider getting a dslr, at teh moment i dont use my current camera to its full potential, so it would be a waste, plus all the added affort of different lens, the risks of dust getting in when u change lens and my general clumsyness makes me stick with a compact for the time being.
    The main thing that motivates me to go DSLR is that fact ill look more like a professional when i use it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by muttleymacclad View Post
    Hi bub

MML

Thats valuable info and I havent 100% made my mind up. All I want is a digi cam that does a good job in all situations, especially indoors at a distance.

cheers
    bub

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't think the 10mp vs 6mp is anything to worry about. You will get a larger file, but 99% of consumer priced lenses don't show any real difference in picture quality. You need to spend serious money on a lens to see 10mp worth of clean sharp detail.

Trust me, don't go on features - the cameras are 95% the same. Handle both cameras and go with the one that feels best in the hand.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for reply, I think ill take my time before I make a decision.

bub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast