Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Which Ultra Compact Digital Camera should I buy?

Hi All,

As the heading says, any recommendations on which Ultra Compact Digital Camera to purchase would be highly appreciated. The use will only be to take photos of Family and Friends, dont have time to make it a hobby just yet, but I am looking for something small lightweight, robust and with excellent image quality.

I currently own a Sony DSC-T1 which is a few years old, and the big gripe I had was the huge amount of Red Eye in each pic and average picture quality. I remember seeing some Pictures from a Fuji camera which looked much better than my Sony even though they were a lower Megapixel count.

Which cameras would people recommend, SOme people recommended the Canon 800IS, but I was wondering what other cameras people recommend! Money is not an issue, but was thinking probably anything from £200-£500.

Cheers

Im

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: Which Ultra Compact Digital Camera should I buy?

H Imran,

If you want a cracking camara with zoom and good amount of control but not pro DSLR I would look at the Kodak Z612.

Its a beauty for just about £200 and does look stunning with good results and 12x optical zoom with stablization built in. With the optical and didital zoom it totals 50x zoom.

Its 6.0 megapix and is well worth consideration.

Good Luck.

icemanonline

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Imran View Post
    Hi All,

As the heading says, any recommendations on which Ultra Compact Digital Camera to purchase would be highly appreciated. The use will only be to take photos of Family and Friends, dont have time to make it a hobby just yet, but I am looking for something small lightweight, robust and with excellent image quality.

I currently own a Sony DSC-T1 which is a few years old, and the big gripe I had was the huge amount of Red Eye in each pic and average picture quality. I remember

seeing some Pictures from a Fuji camera which looked much better than my Sony even though they were a lower Megapixel count.

Which cameras would people recommend, SOme people recommended the Canon 800IS, but I was wondering what other cameras people recommend! Money is not an issue, but was thinking probably anything from £200-£500.

Cheers

Im

Hi Im,

Check this out too......

http://reviews.cnet.com/Kodak_EasySh...tml?tag=uoavrg

Good balance of opinion.

cheers icemanonline

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Which Ultra Compact Digital Camera should I buy?

I have an Ixus800i and i wouldnt call it 'ultra' compact. However it is a nice size and sits in the hand really well, and is surprisingly heavy (gives a nice feeling of quality tho'). Best to visit a shop and try..............!

Thanks
    Karma Level

[quote=Imran;2157219]Hi All,

With Canon you cannot go wrong. However keep well away from Fuji as even a finger in front of the zoom whilst opening may lock it causing a fault classed as 'impact damage' by warranty dept in Bedford Uk wll also void your warranty. This locking is not heard of on other manufacturers cameras resulting in you paying for what is basically a Fuji design problem.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That's not quite true mate there is apparently a fault with some canon zoom mechanisms when they are subjected to excessive motor load, like an impact to an extended lens or getting debris in the system. If I remember correctly it's called an E18 fault. I have a canon myself & it's a great little piece of kit, I'll just be keeping it clean & not hammering in nails with the zoom lens
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I recently got a Sony Cybershot T50 ultra compact and its brilliant the battery life lasts for like 300 shots.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have just sold my t50 on ebay, i had it less than a month and thought it was a pos.

Its a great camera outside, it will take great photos but indoors with flash it has big problems.
    Because the flash is so close and also level with the lens any dust in the air gets reflected back and you get dust halos on a lot of photos.
    Shame because it takes good photos, but as i take a lot of pictures indoors it had to go.
    Here are some examples.
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...3/DSC00176.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...3/DSC00174.jpg
    Sony say this is normal
    So can anyone recomend me a new cam.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuji F30 gets great reviews, or its little brother F20

Thanks
    Karma Level

colh are u sure its dust? coz it looks like orbs to me which means the place is haunted according to Derek Acorah!!
    Last edited by stevo25; 16th March 2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by stevo25 View Post
    colh are u sure its dust? coz it looks like orbs to me which means the place is haunted according to Derek Acorah!!
    Dont think the place was haunted but you never know.
    Sony say its dust that is very close to the lens, with the flash being so close it lights it up.

May be i should send Derek Acorah those photos and get his advice.

There are some new cams out, i am looking at a Pentax A30, looks good on paper but the A20 got slagged off in the reviews so i will wait and see.
    Canon is bringing out the ixus 70 and 75 any day too, they might be worth a quick look.
    I need a cam for my holidays, i take a lot of shots in bars (thats where i spend a lot of time on holiday) so thats why the t50 was no good to me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmmmm Uniformly "squared off" dust AND it's all grey. AND it seems to be coming out of peoples heads. Strange
    "Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."

Albert Einstein