Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Windows or Linux??

I currently have XP but am deciding whether to get W Vista (if there is a decent download) or move over to Linux.

I don't know anything about Linux though.

What does Linux have that Windows doesn't and vice versa?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Windows or Linux??

you need a far greater understanding of linux to use it for a day-to-day os. even the gui desktops.

which variety of linux were you thinking of?

tbh i really wouldn't bother, dont think it's quite there for home pcs yet

Thanks
    Karma Level

wtf?!? not there for home pc's? linux if you can be bothered spending a little time will do everything vista does on a computer from 3-5 years ago. The only problem linux has is game support and you can get arround some of that with things like wine.

Def worth a play, especially as its free best bet for an easy ride have a look at something like ubuntu or suse.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well IMO id wait for windows vista as i have been told theor are still hardware issues and a few softwares not working well with it. Linux however is good as i have been using it for awhile because i just wanted the change from windows. Windows vista looks like a good rip off of mac 10 OS. Although some people dont think so, if you like the mac 10 OS then windows vista gonna be your thing.
    The requirements for windows vista is alittle heavy than the other OS so it all depnds on your hardware and some software to.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd say if you don't know why you need Linux then you don't need it...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with JK and BS.

First of you got to know why you want Linux, it's simple really, the reason could be cost, you can't afford windows or you can't be arsed with all the cracks.

For other doubters I've been using all sort of *nix's for around 8 or 9 years now and mostly for desktops. And I for one can say it has dramatically improved since the days of when i was using it on the 2.2 kernel and trying to configure USB devices so consider yerself lucky!

Anyway, if you are looking for a desktop box check out ubuntu it has several variations be it kubuntu and edubuntu and Xubuntu, I'm sure theres more but its too early to start thinking just yet.

But probably in the long run you'll always have a wee bit of a need for a windows PC someway or another. So if you do just install vmware on linux, a lot more stable on linux than windows...you could also try VirtualBox on linux which is a free derivative of vmware.

/me waits on the windows fan boys to come along now

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    wtf?!? not there for home pc's? linux if you can be bothered spending a little time will do everything vista does on a computer from 3-5 years ago. The only problem linux has is game support and you can get arround some of that with things like wine.

Def worth a play, especially as its free best bet for an easy ride have a look at something like ubuntu or suse.
    I agree with what you're saying but I think a new user will get frustrated before they get the functionality they used to have in windows. I'm an open source fan and use varieties of linux on a day to day basis at work though my opinion still remains!!

As you've said, it's free so there's absolutely no reason not to try SoundOfFaz!

Good luck

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bmuk View Post
    I agree with what you're saying but I think a new user will get frustrated before they get the functionality they used to have in windows. I'm an open source fan and use varieties of linux on a day to day basis at work though my opinion still remains!!

As you've said, it's free so there's absolutely no reason not to try SoundOfFaz!

Good luck
    But everyone had to be new to it to start with and if they followed that argument nobody would be using it

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    John Keymer[/B]]
    I'd say if you don't know why you need Linux then you don't need it...
    thats what I keep saying to people about Vista...

Thanks
    Karma Level

try linux (i'd suggest kubuntu is good for a n00b) of maybe fedora.

I only use linux now and have done for some time. Theres nothing i need windows for at all. The main problem most people have with linux is that they try too hard to make it into windows. its a very steep learning curve, but well worth the effort. Try is as a dual boot for a while. If as most people, you use a pc as a media terminal (internet, music, video) then you will have no problems and you will be staggered at the configurability and ease.

Windows users dont realise how much they are railroaded into thinking they are getting what they want. With linux, if something hacks you off, you can change it, all of it.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    thats what I keep saying to people about Vista...

Unfortunately, I know exactly why I DON'T need vista, hence why I ain't installed it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for all th ereplies guys, just fancied a change and have heard a lot of positive stuff about Linux.

Will try it out, Vista too

Thanks
    Karma Level

i used to use linux and became pretty much self sufficient in it, didnt really need windows for much of anything

then of course i'd need to do something that did need windows and reboot into ye olde windows installation, and with the advent of the recent versions of windows i just didnt need linux because windows could do everything i needed

i'd still use linux if i was setting up a web server or something though, just cos its free more than anything else
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore