Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Driving license points removal?

is there anyway to remove points from your licence that have not yet expired? someone told me if i say my license was lost and applied for a new one it would come back clean is this true or are points stored on dvla database? or could i just remove points myself with an ink rubber? this is just a question about declaring points to insurance company could they find out in the event of an accident

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Driving license points removal?

Points are kept electronically and not physically (that i know of, never had points), and there isn't really any easy way to remove points, not as simple as just applying for a new license or rubbing them out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't bother telling lies to the insurance company as should you have an accident and they were to check your licence via DVLA your insurance would be void and you could also be done for fraud.

Whats more is that insurance company check out everything now as its costs them too much when paying out for injury claims.

So is it really worth risking a criminal record? Just tell the truth and pay the full premium as end of the day it was your fault that caused the points in the first place. Hopefully in a few years you'll have a clean licence, but a criminal record is there for life.

Thanks
    Karma Level

only way to have points removed is wait 3 years.. or get banned and start with a fresh slate.

the points youve had will remain on record for 5 years at a minimum (albeit, they wont count for anything after 3), wouldnt be surprised if it were forever, and insurance companies have access to this data also i believe.

edit: although on checkin wikipedia, it says 4 years o_O United Kingdom

In the UK, points are given for traffic offences, e.g. typically three to six points for a speeding offence. Points remain on the licence for four years from conviction (eleven years for drink- and drug-related convictions) - twelve points on the licence within three years makes the driver liable to disqualification by a court, but not automatic disqualification.[1] Since The New Drivers Act in 1995, if a person in the two years after passing their first practical test accumulates six penalty points, their licence is revoked by the DVLA and the driver has to reapply and pay for the provisional licence, drive as a learner, and pay for and take the theory and practical tests before being allowed to drive on their own. In the case of particularly egregious offences, the court may order the driver to pass an extended driving test before the licence is returned, even for people out of the two-year probation period.[2]

Thanks
    Karma Level

darn, I always thought it was 3 years after conviction. I'm going to have to investigate that a little but wikipedia is probably correct on the matter. Which is pish

Thanks
    Karma Level

No it is confusing as feck....

It works like this (basically as wiki says)

The points only count for 3 years (i.e. if you get 9 points 37 months after getting 3 points, it doesn't add up to 12 points)

However, the points stay on your license until 4 years have passed.

Once that 4 years has past you are supposed to pay to have your the points removed from your license. However, if you send off your license pointing out an error (like miss spelling in your address, or I had my place of birth printed as "unknown" for some reason), if you send it off pointing out the error it will be reprinted for free without the points on (as long as 4 years have past).

Finally, to confuse matters, some insurance companies ask for point details for 5 years... I always argue the toss when this happens. I mean the points expire after 3 years, they are not even on my frigging license after 4 years, so why are they asking 5 years?

The reason why there is some confusion over the points being kept in a database or not, is because most places physical handwrite the points on the license when you pay your fine. However, the points ARE kept on the database (or at least should be). So if you loose your license under the 4 years, the replacement should have the points printed on the new license. However, obviously if some pleb forgot to stick it on the computer you could in theory not be on the database. In which case it would make me wonder what happened to the fine you paid? Hmmmm. I suppose you could try the "pointing out the mistake" on your license to get a free reprint, in which case you will either get a new license with the points printed on it, or if you are a complete spawny git... a new clean license!

One final note, I haven't done the free reprint trick since the photo ID licenses started, so I dunno if you have the old type if they will give a free reprint or force you to apply of the new fangled photo id?
    Last edited by MsDG; 13th February 2007 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtygirl View Post

One final note, I haven't done the free reprint trick since the photo ID licenses started, so I dunno if you have the old type if they will give a free reprint or force you to apply of the new fangled photo id?

If you have an old paper one they wont give you another, they will force you to send in a photo and get the new style licence.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys, was just a drunken thought really best to keep within the law then

Thanks
    Karma Level

a friend of mine once ticked the wrong box(by mistake) on an insurance form. Stating he never had an accident, his kid was the same form and had a bump, they made a claim. It ended costing him thousands of pounds.

cheers

ian J

Thanks
    Karma Level

i got a speeder and physically lost my licence. The courts wrote the conviction by hand on the paper doc. When i aksed for a new one it came back electronically printed.
    Mladen