Close

View Poll Results: How many portions of fresh fruit and vegetables do you consume each day?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-2

29 42.65%
  • 3-4

22 32.35%
  • 5 and over

17 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 a day?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 5 a day?

How many portions of fresh fruit and vegetables do you consume each day?

With intensive farming practices and up to 75% of farmland being depleted of nutrients we should actually probably be eating more like 9-12 portions of fruit and vegetables per day.

The '5 a day' is much the same as the RDA amounts for vitmains and minerals, the minimum you should be consuming to support a healthy body. However, in times of stress, illness, injury etc. our bodies often need far more than these minimum amounts.

So, how many do you eat?
    Last edited by CzarJunkie; 20th February 2007 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 5 a day?

Was just thinking about posting something similar.

I try to have my 5 a day but dont always accomplish it............. If i cant eat the fruit or vegetables to make it up then ill have some fruit juice to boost it up.

I have a question regarding 5 a day too............. If i made a smoothie with 3 different fruits in it, is that 3 of my 5 or 1?

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

Was in tesco last night, and they had some sign showing you what a typical size portion was and there was a photo of about 10 grapes in someones hand. If you count a portion so miserly, I probably eat 5-10. I personally think i eat more like 2-3.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 20th February 2007 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Made post a bit more understandable.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Aside from protein supplements, probiotics and an organic food powder I have at least 3 portions of fruit in my morning smoothie. Usually have an apple or banana at about 5pm.

In the evenings I no longer eat potatoes or rice so have a very large portion of fresh vegetables, normally greens: cabbage, mange tout, sugar snaps, spinach, cabbage and my current favorite, broccoli. Not really a big fan of carrots or sprouts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I probably only eat 1-2 a day, but i don't know how much 1 portion is :/

EG, i had a stir fry last night with bean sprouts, and various veg, but as far as i know that could have been 1 portion or 100 portions

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think we have highlighted the main problem with this 5-a-day thing. It's not clear how much a portion is. It's also sometimes hard to work out the portions of vegetables or fruit which are contained in pre-prepared food.

I couldn't say that I regularly hit my 5-a-day target, but do try. I supplement my diet with multi-vits.
    Photography: Nikon D50 - 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 105mm Macro, 2 x 2gb SD Cards, Jessops Tripod, LowePro Rucksack

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wizer View Post
    I think we have highlighted the main problem with this 5-a-day thing. It's not clear how much a portion is. It's also sometimes hard to work out the portions of vegetables or fruit which are contained in pre-prepared food.

I couldn't say that I regularly hit my 5-a-day target, but do try. I supplement my diet with multi-vits.
    The portion sizes are an issue, but I think a good rule of thumb is 80-100g for each portion.

As regards processed foods, I wouldn't count any of them towards the 5 a day no matter what the food manufacturers or supermarkets may tell you. As soon as you start processing a fruit or vegetable oxidation starts to take place, nutrients are lost, especially the enzymes (enzymes are also lost when fruit or vegetables are cooked). The enzyme content of fruit and vegetables are crucial in order for us to digest them properoly and get the full nutrient value from them. That's why it's recommended you eat 60% of your diet raw if you can.

However, there are some exceptions such as tinned tomatoes, they generally have a higher lycopene (a powerful antioxidant) content than fresh tomatoes, this is also the case for over ripe tomatoes. Although avoid the tinned tomatoes that contain artificial preservatives or any other additives such as citric acid or salt etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have 2-3 a day, and when i am in the mood 2 peices of fruit too. mainly veg i have with meals

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Thanks CJ, very helpful.

I don't know about everyone else but I find those quanities acheivably small, I expected each portion to be greater.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks a lot for digging for the info CJ, but personally I don't buy it, you know these scientists keep changing their minds about whats good for us.

Fruit salad: canned 3 heaped tablespoons
    Fruit salad: fresh 3 heaped tablespoons

Somehow I don't think 3 spoons of sugar out of a tin will quite do the same goodness as an apple or some fresh fruit salad.

I think it's a good idea to increase awareness, expecially amongst those who probably eat nearly none, but I think its easy when choosing a meal to think, ok, need something healthy and be able to instantly think whether the food is likely to do me any good or not (or if im in a pig out mood, sod the healthy stuff, I want my meat )

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by carlover View Post
    Thanks a lot for digging for the info CJ, but personally I don't buy it, you know these scientists keep changing their minds about whats good for us.

Fruit salad: canned 3 heaped tablespoons
    Fruit salad: fresh 3 heaped tablespoons

Somehow I don't think 3 spoons of sugar out of a tin will quite do the same goodness as an apple or some fresh fruit salad.

I think it's a good idea to increase awareness, expecially amongst those who probably eat nearly none, but I think its easy when choosing a meal to think, ok, need something healthy and be able to instantly think whether the food is likely to do me any good or not (or if im in a pig out mood, sod the healthy stuff, I want my meat )
    Well done, displaying that level of ignorance must be hard work. And you acheive it on almost a daily basis.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have eaten more than 5 a day for years. You should check thepan after I have curled off a prize log.

Seriously it is easy if you are a veggie as the consituent of most of your meals are veg. During the day I have a nana and an apple at work and usually brocolli, green beans, corn on the cob, butternut squash etc with my tea. I usually have a smoothie with the little un at some point as well which consists of a whole mango, a handful of bluevberries and a handful of strawberries or raspberries with half a pint of juice that we split 65/35.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Usually have 3 portions with my morning smoothie breakfast mixed with oats.
    An apple and or an orange at elevenses. Some fruit at lunch and I eat a small bag of figs or dates during the day as a substitue for sweets.
    Plus couple of glasses of fruit juice a day. Couple of spuds and broccolli or cabbage an or raw onion in the evening. (except tonite (pancakes )
    Reckon im covering my 5 a day no problem.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I eat around 5-6 portions a day , fruit and veg is one thing i cant live without lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

I try to aim for around 15 a day. I also started taking multi vitamins recently.

On a good day, fruit and veg wise, I'll normally consume over the whole day, one banana, apples, strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, raisins, dates, a lemon, a grapefruit, lettuce, peppers red, green, & yellow, green beans, peas, carrots, brocolli, mushrooms, onion, and spinach... plus what ever else I pick up at the super market.

On a bad day it's around 10 or so. And after looking at those portion sizes I seem to be pretty much on track too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a lot of smoothie, but does that count? They have loads of different fruit but they're not really 'fresh'. I also have a lot of orange juice, some vegetables with my meal and when I'm bored I have supplements.
    Note: I am not an admin. I just have a red name :happy:

Thanks
    Karma Level

my diet has flunctuated recently, but recently i'm back on track, mainly due to a payrise I can afford a lot more healthy stuff.

While good food is a desire for myself, it's not always possible, but i'm working on the 5 a day.

So far today I've hit 4 fruit and veg and I've not head dinner so that's good. I often don't find it hard to do the 5 a day. I am getting into having half fresh, and half frozen fruit. I've found frozen fruit is awsome for smoothies becuase it breaks up real fine, lasts ages and costs less. Mixed with fresh, it's all good on that front.

My veggies are not so varied but I eat good meat and a lot of fish so I reckon I'm nailing the health barrier. My main vice is alcohol, something which will live with me forever and probably kill me, but I love it so
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

I eat 2 apples and 2 bannanas a day pretty much every day, with assorted fruits (Mango, Papaya etc) every no and then. Probably not as much as I could, but definitly more than I used to
    Drinkin' beer in the hot sun
    I fought the law and I won
    I fought the law and I won

Thanks
    Karma Level

As a flat we try and get 5 portions into the main meal in the evening and usually manage it. Whatever else we eat during the day is a bonus. For instance, we usually also do protein shakes and they contain 5 different types of fruit usually.

Guess I vary from 5 to 10, depending on the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks