Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Friday Night Lights

I'm a huge fan of the movie. A fucking huge, huge fan. And you know what? The first episode of the television series did not disappoint in the slightest. Well worth watching.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Friday Night Lights

i have to agree , im up to episode 16 and it just keeps getting better

glad british tv has picked it up although it is on ITV4 !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WalterPill View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the movie. A fucking huge, huge fan. And you know what? The first episode of the television series did not disappoint in the slightest. Well worth watching.
    a quick synopsis ?

THE BARON

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the recommendation. Just worked my way thru all 6 seasons of The Larry Sanders Show and was waiting for something else to come along.

Looking at some of the stills on IMDb there appears to be a fair bit of crumpet too. Eye candy always improves a good drama series, that's something that I think is lost on British TV makers, they can't seem to combine the 2.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758745/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by baronvon View Post
    a quick synopsis ?

THE BARON
    Expanding on the hit feature film "Friday Night Lights," this poignant series centers on the small rural town of Dillon, Texas, where the coveted state football championship rings are held in the highest regard. Dillon's promising high school team, its star quarterback, and newly appointed head coach Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler, "King Kong," "Grey's Anatomy") feel the mounting pressure of the town's pride and honor riding on their shoulders as a new football season kicks off.
    Ultra-realistic, brilliantly edited, very well shot and the performances look suitably excellent. The match scenes are particularly well done, much like the movie. They jammed a great deal into the first show, maybe a little too much as it fair fucking zipped by but that's generally symptomatic of most pilots/first episodes nowadays as to hook the viewer from the start. The Black Donnellys pilot was much the same and is another show that I'm thoroughly looking forward to based on the quality of the first episode.

It's basically everything that Skins isn't. No sensationalism, quality acting, a distinct lack of cartoonish farce and some fantastic looking fanny. A great deal of british viewers won't take to it as there's a lot of praying and whatnot, they'll look at that and think it's typical american schmaltz whereas it's in fact an accurate representation of what life is like in small town america particularly the mid-west. That'll be lost on many people though and they'll just see it as cheesy. These same people will then sit down and watch that time travelling, jurassic park, doctor who rip-off on ITV.
    Last edited by WalterPill; 15th March 2007 at 02:30 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. Just worked my way thru all 6 seasons of The Larry Sanders Show and was waiting for something else to come along.
    Brilliant show. I rarely missed it when it was shown late night on BBC2 (I think). Shandling, Tambor and Rip Torn are fantastic. Brilliant characters. Very influential as well. I get the impression that Gervais may well have been a big fan.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have been watching it also, thought it was shameful, but its not a half bad series really.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Shameful?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm now up to episode 14 and happily it has not disappointed in the least. Fantastic show. It's often manipulative and the games are probably slightly over-dramatic but fucking hell, where would 24 be if they we criticized the fact that there was really too much incident and too much drama in each episode.

The birds are ultra hot and it's a supremely watchable show. I urge any fucker to at least give it three or four episodes.
    Last edited by WalterPill; 15th March 2007 at 02:36 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WalterPill View Post
    I'm now up to episode 14 and happily it has not disappointed in the least. Fantastic show. It's often manipulative and the games are probably slightly over-dramatic but fucking hell, where would 24 be if they we criticized the fact that there was really too much incident and too much drama in each episode.

The birds are ultra hot and it's a supremely watchable show. I urge any fucker to at least give it three or four episodes.
    I have to agree, I'm loving every minute of it. The characters are well written, have plenty of depth and while the story lines are a little predictable it's very well done.

Agree about the crumpet too, the 2 main female characters, Lyla and Tyra are fucking lovely which makes the whole experience that much more satisfying. And I know it's wrong but the coach's daughter Julie makes me wish I was Gary Glitter. The little minx.

The only problem I see for this show is it trying to cover too many issues at once, we've had disability, race, teenage angst, teenage sex, mental health, adultery, father/son shit, mother/daughter shit, the war in iraq, sexual politics, drugs, truancy and shop lifting. As soon as Tim Riggins announces he's gay they'll have just about covered the lot within the 1st season.........

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lyla and Tyra........Fucking hell.