Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default bit of jazz for the CV, something uncheesy

what a load of shite I had written in this post before I edited it, shortened it now.

basically I've done a CV and need a non-cheesy couple of lines at the start to show my intentions in life. basically to work in IT. i have some experience but nothing relevant to IT, so something that shows i'm not yet another compsci student is what i need

attached PDF of what i have, just need to replace the latin filler text.

hopefully i'll get a 100k a year and company ferarri now, since thats what happened to the last young unqualified person to post this

cheers in advance, karma awaiting as usual
    Last edited by TwoPlAnKs; 20th June 2009 at 07:35 PM.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: bit of jazz for the CV, something uncheesy

I'm no good at this lad, thought I'd give you my impressions/help

Opening sentences:
    I am a dedicated, motivated, enterprising ,reliable person and can handle time pressures and I am comfortable working in a team enviroment or on sole projects. I feel that these qualities along with my experience in IT would mke me an ideal candidate for any positions which would utilise my knowledge and eagerness to learn. Is this y enough

Young Enterprise thing

This involved the creation and management of company website, e-mail system and online discussion system......

Computer Skills:
    I would maybe change the wording to
    "I am skilled in Java, PHP, SQL, HTML, CSS and have (Insert years here) years experience working with Linux and Microsoft Windows platforms."

Work Experience:
    I wouldn't put the "Most Recent, in chronological order" line.....you don't want to treat them like an idiot do you?

Shop work
    Maybe put in "Ensuring staff effectiveness and efficiency"

Tutoring

Providing one to one tuition in higher mathematics enabling students to forsee and overcome problematic situations in their studies.

IT Placement

I would put in the different IT duties you had "sugar coat" them if you please as well....

Hope that helps in some way mate.
    Last edited by Justcracked; 10th March 2007 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for your help, you make some good points there that i wouldnt have thought of

the problem with mentioning experience is that i've not got any, which is the big hurdle all new computing people seem to face. hoping that this CV can get me some sort of placement for summer and then i'd like to do a proper year out of uni placement later on too. apparently my uni has a thing set up where you can go to California for a year which sounds pretty cool, and work for sun microsystems. very competitive though

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I would throw in some power/jump words there.

"motivating staff and driving efficiency"

Also use words like "excellent, loved, enthusiastic, boost"
    Don't use the word "job" but "role" instead. What good things came out of the company website and online chat tool? ... e.g "higher productivity and cost efficient" etc.

What puts you above the rest? have you received any awards? even if it is just a buddy award.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have to agree with cronus, i was going added to ''motivation'' to the cv. employers love it

Thanks
    Karma Level

opening sentance

Highly motivated, extremely ambitious, and exceptionally organised, I am enthusiastic about my work and ensure that it is always done to the highest standard. I have a keen interest in technology and computing and feel that my analytical nature is an asset in such an environment.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    opening sentance

Highly motivated, extremely ambitious, and exceptionally organised, I am enthusiastic about my work and ensure that it is always done to the highest standard. I have a keen interest in technology and computing and feel that my analytical nature is an asset in such an environment.
    hit the nail on the head there matey v good indeed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    i have to agree with cronus, i was going added to ''motivation'' to the cv. employers love it
    i was wondering about stuff like that. i'd throw a lot of CVs in the bin with shite like that in them but i'm not a manager. do the manager breed of people really genuinley not see through that bullshit? i'm starting to think that since i dont have anything thats actually of any use then maybe i should just fill it with management speak and get a job working for an idiot until i get the experience to convince somebody who does see through the management bullshit to employ me

Thanks
    Karma Level

you have to sell yourself - no good leaving them guessing. Several merchant bank IT departments didn't seem to mind things like that on my CV

Thanks
    Karma Level

From my limited (very) experience, make sure that whatever you have on your CV you can back up with examples...

The last (and only) interview I gave to someone looking a job in my firm, he CV looked good, until you probed into what she said she could do, and I then it turned out she'd put down what she would like to do and didn't even know the basics.

Needless to say, she didn't get a job

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah, spend a while thinking up answers to key questions ie when have you worked in a team, when have yo uovercome a problem, when have you overcome a problem in a team/with a team member etc and what role/part did you take in the above

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just to add to this. I've always worked on the principle that an employer, when looking at 100 CV's, will be looking (first of all), for reasons NOT to hire you. What I mean by this is have a look through your CV, and make sure it reads very well. If a sentence doesn't fit, change it, no matter how many "power words" you try to get in there. Only after that, can you ensure that your CV is getting looked at for what you can bring to the business.

Also, one thing to remember, if nothing else, is that the CV is only meant to get you an interview, and to give some structure for you to base any interview questions on. Keep some things vague, and only elaborate on things that you feel very confident about explaining in detail. As much as you have to tell them enough to get them interested, you have to keep it vague enough for them to want to find out more about you....and thats when you really sell yourself.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Coming to the party a little late on this one but if I were you I'd try and identify what area of IT you want to get into and tailor the CV to that. If its web development then you're nearly there for a junior position, bring out the languages you know more and give specific examples of your uses of them - URL's are what an employer wants to see. If however its IT support or a similar role then I'd ditch the references to specific programming languages and bring out more on the server side experience and give examples.

At the level of job you're aiming at employers know that you won't have much experience so what they want to see is someone with bags of enthusiasm and someone who has done a bit of research into the company and job they're applying for whch shows resourcefulness.

Personally I'd avoid buzz words and jargon and keep it plain, simple and easy to read. I see loads of CV's for people wanting to work for my company and the junior IT roles I fill I choose people who have done the leg work. Generic CV's and covering letters can be spotted a mile off and generally go straight in the bin, my attitude is that if you can't be arsed putting any effort into the application then I can't be arsed giving you an interview!