Close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Blatant cheating by Gerrard?

Just seen the first Liverpool penalty today. The second time Gerrard has played Sheffield United this season and the second time he has committed an atrocious and very deliberate piece of cheating to con the referee into a penalty. People go on about Ronaldo being a diving cheat, but surely Gerrard only gets away with this level of cheating because he is English? Disgraceful.

Still, looking forward to next Saturday now . 9 home clean sheets in a row against a United attack that is looking more than a little lacklustre at the moment, and damn lucky to get three points today. Were it not for a trememdous run from Ronaldo and the post we would only be 6 points ahead of Chelsea and not 9. Its going to be a great match next week, and I can't wait!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Blatant cheating by Gerrard?

Sheffield player left the ref with little choice the way he had his arm hooked around him. Speaking of diving bastards, Andy Johnson's dive was a lot worst against Watford. Even Moyes condoned it by saying no one would be complaining if he does it for England.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post
    Sheffield player left the ref with little choice the way he had his arm hooked around him. Speaking of diving bastards, Andy Johnson's dive was a lot worst against Watford. Even Moyes condoned it by saying no one would be complaining if he does it for England.
    Who mentioned Everton? You lot are bitter coonts...Johnson got sandwiched between 2 defenders...if you couldn't see that you're either Stevie Wonder or fcuking Stevie Stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G
    As for snotty he will bring his ban up like he's a martyr now. I hope your aware of the beast you've probably created gunner.

Awaiting Email Confirm masterbates69's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have to admit the first penalty was disappointing. It's pretty obvious Gerrard was looking for it. You know when Jacko put up a thread about Giggs goal against Lille and there was a fuss? Well just as I would have been disappointed if Liverpool had won a game like that, I am disappointed that Gerrard played for the penalty like he did.

Totally un-necessary, we shouldn't need to resort to it. We were at home, playing a team that with all due respect I would expect us to beat.

Edit: Just like to pick up on your comment about Gerrard/Ronaldo however. I find Ronaldo's cheating to be truly abhorrent. It does piss me off to hear United fans claim Gerrard is an even worse cheat - as I don't think for one minute he is. However, yesterday's affair was not nice, as I admit.
    Last edited by masterbates69; 25th February 2007 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think Gerrard should have got a pen for the first incident how could it possibly be...when Neville wrestled Chimbonda to the floor the other week that wasn't a pen was it? and compared to that this was a mere touch

In all seriousness if that would have been given against us i'd be dissapointed but accept it.Because as a defender if the attacking player alerts the ref to you holding him or blocking him and you carry on then there's always the chance you'll get punished for it.It was a foul end of but for some reason it's one of those things that generally go unpunished for some reason.Inconsistency from refs again?

Andy johnson on the other hand just dived.

Quote Originally Posted by Snotty View Post
    Johnson got sandwiched between 2 defenders
    I don't know about you but when i have a sandwich the bread normally touches the filling.
    Last edited by B.I.G.; 25th February 2007 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I knew this thread was going to appear and there were 3 debatable penalty decisions today:

1. The first was Van der Sar on Helgusen in the Fulham game - My personal opinion 50/50 either way, however Fulham deserved 3 points from that game, and should feel very aggrieved by the loss (as mentioned by Sir Alex himself).
    2. The 1st Liverpool Penalty - I also think this was a little harsh on Sheff Wed, and I do think Gerrard was looking for it, but if the Sheff Utd player had kept his hands down, and got his body in the way instead, this would not have been an issue. Lets be quite frank here, Liverpool won by 4 goals there was absolutely no way Liverpool didn't deserve the win.
    3. The Everton penalty - I agree I again thought it was quite harsh on Watford, and did not see any contact made, but lets be quite honest Everton thoroughly deserved the win. The Leon Osman goal was also top drawer!

If we were to talk about debatable penalties do not forget to mention MR WAYNE ROONEY who dived with absolutely no contact between himself and Sol Campbell, when Man Utd broke Arsenals unbeaten record! Now that was a pure dive, in all the incidents we had today there was contact or at least looked like there possibly was (Everton incident). Whereas in this incident there was no contact whatsoever!

Also whilst mentioning this I am sure that Arsenal, and Chelsea (Messrs Drogba and Robben) and actually every premiership team have won penalties which were not justified.

Anyway thats just my thoughts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Imran View Post
    1. The first was Van der Sar on Helgusen in the Fulham game - My personal opinion 50/50 either way, however Fulham deserved 3 points from that game, and should feel very aggrieved by the loss (as mentioned by Sir Alex himself).
    The more I see this the more I can only see a penalty. Difference between this one and Gerrard's is the distance of the referee and the crowd of players. Its only from close up that you can really see its a pen.

Regarding Rooney's "dive". Well, I disputed that at the time and will continue too. Rooney was running into the box, Campbell shoved his leg in Rooney's way with no intention of getting to the ball at all. Penalty every time.

Quote Originally Posted by masterbates69
    Just like to pick up on your comment about Gerrard/Ronaldo however. I find Ronaldo's cheating to be truly abhorrent. It does piss me off to hear United fans claim Gerrard is an even worse cheat - as I don't think for one minute he is. However, yesterday's affair was not nice, as I admit.
    Well I think we need to put this down to the individual fans bias. For me the fact Gerrard gets away with blatant cheating and is never censured is disgraceful. Combined with the fact that Ronaldo can be scythed down in the box and the papers all want to send him back to Portugal, well, it gets my goat up. Ronaldo has no doubt - and I know many Liverpool fans will agree with this - cleaned up his act this year and has only been involved in a small number of contentious decisions. Gerrard is captain of Liverpool, one of our country's highest profile talents, and yet when he cheats its always excused. Odd that, don't you think?

You know when Jacko put up a thread about Giggs goal against Lille and there was a fuss?
    . Hmmm, I vaguely remember that thread ..... the difference hear is doing something entirely within the rules (as UEFA have since said) and doing something to get a penalty in an unsportsman-like manner. Unfortunately I was very aware when I posted this originally that some people might think it was retaliatory, but I can honestly assure you it was not. I very nearly did NOT post because of the worries of comparison.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hahahahaha what a load of shite, Gerrard was actually looking to the Ref before he hit the fucking ground, he played for and got what he wanted, cheating cunt of the highest order!

Hey Jacko...... Talk about "Underhand Tactics!"

Awaiting Email Confirm masterbates69's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought you'd mention the individual fans bias - simply because the exact same thought occurred to me just after I posted my reply. It's all opinions at the end of the day etc, but I'd also add that I've seen Rooney dive on a few occasions in the last couple of seasons, and that gets glossed over in the media in much the same way. I'd say the two (Rooney/Gerrard) are probably on a more equal footing, and yes, in both cases the media gloss over it.

I actually wasn't trying to say the thread WAS retaliatory - far from it. I was merely pointing out the comparison. I could defend Gerrard to the hilt - you may call his behaviour unsportsmanlike, but was it a breach of any rules? It WAS a foul (the player's arms were all around him), even if he was looking for it. One of those where a defence would be something like "that's clever play, drawing it in". I'd say that Giggs' goal was in a similar vein. Not against the rules as such, but still a bit of a cheap way of gaining an advantage. My point was that I would rather not see Liverpool resort to either of those.

Thanks
    Karma Level

MB, I wasn't accusing you of saying it was retaliatory, it was entirely my own personal thoughts / paranoia!

If I try to take my United hat off (difficult!) then I think I have to largely agree with what you said. The Gerrard / Rooney incident is I guess comparable, though I would say the Giggs play was more "clever" than an attempt to con the referee, which is the difference between the three incidents. Gerrard/Rooney can be construed as an attempt to con the ref, whereas the Giggs one clearly wasn't.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    hahahahaha what a load of shite, Gerrard was actually looking to the Ref before he hit the fucking ground, he played for and got what he wanted, cheating cunt of the highest order!

Hey Jacko...... Talk about "Underhand Tactics!"
    Which is what i said he made the ref aware and was being held.And as holding in the box is actually a foul he was given a pen..i have no qualms with that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    though I would say the Giggs play was more "clever" than an attempt to con the referee, which is the difference between the three incidents. Gerrard/Rooney can be construed as an attempt to con the ref, whereas the Giggs one clearly wasn't.
    No not having it.Rooney dived with no contact Gerrard was fouled whether or not it deserved a pen is a different matter and open to debate but he was fouled.If i was trying to con someone i wouldn't normally tell them beforehand.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    Which is what i said he made the ref aware and was being held.And as holding in the box is actually a foul he was given a pen..i have no qualms with that.
    Yes, but like the old Liverpool stalwarts said on MOTD last night you would get 20 penalties a match if ref's start giving decisions like that on a regular basis. It was nothing more than a jostle, its not like Gerrard was being hugged.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    No not having it.Rooney dived with no contact Gerrard was fouled whether or not it deserved a pen is a different matter and open to debate but he was fouled.If i was trying to con someone i wouldn't normally tell them beforehand.
    Rooney was running at full pelt into the penalty area and Campbell shoved his leg out.

Gerrard was standing relatively still moaning at the referee. Huge difference.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Imran View Post
    If we were to talk about debatable penalties do not forget to mention MR WAYNE ROONEY who dived with absolutely no contact between himself and Sol Campbell, when Man Utd broke Arsenals unbeaten record! Now that was a pure dive, in all the incidents we had today there was contact or at least looked like there possibly was (Everton incident). Whereas in this incident there was no contact whatsoever!
    I cant believe you're still thinking of a dive from 3 seasons ago.. Jeesus... latest info pls...

"During the war..............."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes, but like the old Liverpool stalwarts said on MOTD last night you would get 20 penalties a match if ref's start giving decisions like that on a regular basis. It was nothing more than a jostle, its not like Gerrard was being hugged.
    No because if refs where consistant and pulled people for fouling inside the area less holding would be done.It's only because players think they can get away with it that it's done all the time.It's still a foul no conning involved.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If gerrard is held anywhere else on the pitch like that it would be a free kick and no-one would bat an eyelid. the problem is even though it was a foul they are never given when its in the box, its like an unwritten rule that most refs seem to have, not unlike when defenders 'shepherd' the ball out of play when under pressure from a striker even though the ball will not be under their control, basically its obstruction but its allowed.I agree the pen does look harsh and gerrard plays for it but because you never see them given its seen as plain old fashioned cheating.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It is conning the ref, its disgraceful and it spoils the game.

I've just seen a Wigan defender grabbing a Newcastle player in a similar way, perhaps even more overtly. And what happened? Nothing. And rightly so.

It was weak refereeing from a man who obviously felt intimidated by the verbals and actions of one of the top players in English football.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by showbiz-legend View Post
    If gerrard is held anywhere else on the pitch like that it would be a free kick and no-one would bat an eyelid.
    On what other part of the pitch do players stand still and jostle for the ball? If Gerrard was running towards the box and another player did that to him I would agree it would be a clear foul, and a cardable offence. But standing still in the penalty area, screaming at the referee when nothing out of the ordinary was happening? Come on, get real.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It is conning the ref, its disgraceful and it spoils the game.
    Try all you like m8 this is never getting to the standard of jacko's thread cos we just ain't biting like the Mancs did.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast