Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default sometimes I wonder why I even bother trying

It's just a joke how absolutly diabolical I am at soldering. I think i'm visually dislexic, have no hand to eye co-ordination and definatly no patience when it comes to clean soldering. Luckily I never wanted to be a astronaut!

[Not Safe For Professionals]
    Spoiler:

it's a sad day in Bristol for this ex-wii owner
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: sometimes I wonder why I even bother trying

lol I'm sure you can pay some clever person to fix it.
    Note: I am not an admin. I just have a red name :happy:

Thanks
    Karma Level

top marks there, beautiful job.

sling it in my way if u want me to sort it mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I cocknose-dived when the first wire came up, I thought it was ok but the trace came with it. I tried to stick it down and that's when I should've stopped meddling but na, decided to 'try my best to repair it' ok, next step pin it back down. After I quickly fucked that up I figured it was so bad I might as well continue (yep, logic working hard there). Traced it back to the leg and was more than confident I could do it (why?).

I got it attached to the leg, it seemed all ok, took the other end and went for a leg on the PIC. Humm thinks I as I finish it off... I've actually done it, only took nearly 3 hours and much stress. Oh nope, the wires come off the leg. Should I enlist in some help? Na I dont wanna bother them, it's cool, I CAN do this.

turn's out I can't. Sploged solder all over the cunt. Tried my best with some wick to remove it and now I have what's before your goodselves.

I have a feeling I'm not very good at some of my hobbies...I might take up reading, cross-stitch and long-distance trainspotting. Safe Sports.
    Last edited by whatnow; 14th March 2007 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

OUCH!! That looks very bad indeed mate! But it CAN be sorted with some de-solder braid (wick), and a good steady hand!

Biggest problem I see is the solder all over the legs of the IC, other than that, the other solder points just need to be "touched up" so that they dont have big blobs of solder and form a good connection!

Unless you have fried the IC you aint an ex-Wii owner yet!! And if you used a low wattage solder iron, then you probably aint fried the IC!

I would take up {{909}} on his offer and send it to him ASAP!

Thanks
    Karma Level

man we need someone to post a soldering guide don't we...makes me cry that pic there.

everyone please get the right tools and guide for the job, its not difficult if you use the right stuff and a little practice and instruction

Thanks
    Karma Level

well if anyone can sort it for ya m9 909 can, he sorted my xbox out no probs, and to be honest i didnt think he stood a chance after id finished with it.

but it came back all loved up and workin to fuck

so pizzaman aint the only chippin god on here lmao
    Last edited by Freaky; 15th March 2007 at 12:10 AM.
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see.
    One chance out between two worlds. Fire Walk With Me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

LOL.nasty.id say solder iron too hot.wrong type of solder.
    Last edited by WRATH OF BOD; 15th March 2007 at 12:12 AM.

Sent By Brick Wrapped In Paper Thrown Through The Window..........

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh dear what a mess! Good luck with your repair, if 909 doesn't get in touch or whatever, gimme a shout.

Time Flies when you're having fun! A decade of DF - April 2002-2012.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bobbydavro View Post
    man we need someone to post a soldering guide don't we...makes me cry that pic there.
    To be honest I think that would be the last thing we need, its just going to encourage people who cant solder

When I was 17 I went on a 4 week training course to learn how to do PCB repair, this included everything like how to solder simple wires, to soldering on the large chips with hundreds of legs, and the basics like using wick, flux etc etc. They let us practice on old smashed up computers and things until we got the hang of it, and the amount of holes you put in the boards and lifted pads etc while you are learning is crazy. I cant see why anyone would take a soldering iron out a packet and think they might be able to read some online guide they seen, or just try it without even that and think it might be easy, risking destroying something they just paid £400 for.

If my car breaks down I'm not going to get a hammer and a spanner and start messing around in the bonnet, and if I need an operation I'm not going to get a scalpel and start poking around inside myself with it

A job like this really is best left to someone who knows what they're doing from the start! We're seeing far too many people mess their machines up then need to send them off to someone that should have had it in the first place lol.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by whatnow View Post
    I cocknose-dived when the first wire came up, I thought it was ok but the trace came with it. I tried to stick it down and that's when I should've stopped meddling but na, decided to 'try my best to repair it' ok, next step pin it back down. After I quickly fucked that up I figured it was so bad I might as well continue (yep, logic working hard there). Traced it back to the leg and was more than confident I could do it (why?).

I got it attached to the leg, it seemed all ok, took the other end and went for a leg on the PIC. Humm thinks I as I finish it off... I've actually done it, only took nearly 3 hours and much stress. Oh nope, the wires come off the leg. Should I enlist in some help? Na I dont wanna bother them, it's cool, I CAN do this.

turn's out I can't. Sploged solder all over the cunt. Tried my best with some wick to remove it and now I have what's before your goodselves.

I have a feeling I'm not very good at some of my hobbies...I might take up reading, cross-stitch and long-distance trainspotting. Safe Sports.
    dedications (not) what you neeeeed!

looking at that image again, it looke like you mave have lifted one of the IC legs, be very careful with the solder wick, that stuff can make the problem worse in the wrong hands (ie, yours)

Thanks
    Karma Level

its called disfacic or something my flat mate has it and he got a free pc from uni so its not that bad lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    and if I need an operation I'm not going to get a scalpel and start poking around inside myself with it
    i dunno you know that sounds like it could be fun, just imagine all that blood you could muster up
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see.
    One chance out between two worlds. Fire Walk With Me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    looking at that image again, it looke like you mave have lifted one of the IC legs, be very careful with the solder wick, that stuff can make the problem worse in the wrong hands (ie, yours)
    Didn't actually realise that before, but I see what you mean! Leg 7 seems to not be touching the board!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    its called disfacic or something my flat mate has it and he got a free pc from uni so its not that bad lol
    Dyspraxic is the term! It generally involves having "motor difficulties" that is, lack of co-ordination between the hand and the eye... or the soldering iron

Thanks
    Karma Level

bunch of cunts

Except for {{909}} who shows a valliant effort in accepting to turn my brick into a machine, thanks again bud. I'm sure the laughter will be doubled when he see's how cleanly the rest of the installation is. [I just mashed the pic onto the ends of the wires].

I'm pretty sure I'll never recommend soldering or say it's simple for a while . O rmaybe I will & just blame the dyspraxia :\

Thanks
    Karma Level

whatnow - I'm much worse than you. I must be the messiest solderer around. I used to build my own audio cables and some I couldn't get the sleeve back on. Back in the day I made a floppy copy device for my Amiga and it looked like an alien had been sick on my plugs.

You can do what I did - give up!
    ================
    Newbie all over again
    ================

Thanks
    Karma Level

finally, someone who has the same skills as me at soldering. (the guys in the old peoples home have steadier hands then me) You would think that I would have learnt my lesson from buggering up fitting a chip in a dvd player, then buggering my dreamcast, only to then think ill give it one last go and buggered my PS1. So, my wii is now in the safe hands of a pal who's gonna fit my wiikey from Glen (hurry up and send please!)

Oh, and to think I work for an electronics manufacturer, who has a team of service guys who do this stuff on a daily basis...

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it makes you feel any better, that's cleaner than my soldering...which is why my Wii is staying a virgin and my XBOX1 has dieded (after a few years of good service though).

Thanks
    Karma Level

heh wellk i feel a bit better now. I'm outta my depth when it comes to soldering. I have [just about] done a xbox1 with a duo but I did fook that up for a good long time too. My only experience from before that was trying to do LED's on a 3210, lol good thing to practice on :\

I thought, in my defence, the pads were bigger on the wii. If they were all the same size as the larger two - not so much of a problem. I just wasn't prepared, and that's the story I'm sticking with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast