Close

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Virgin Media Rolls out 20mb Internet from 1st may - 10mb users upgrade for £2!

all i will say about how you connect your modem to your pc. never use any usb network bits there very slow and unstable. somtimes your computer will blue screen, or lock up.
    even V_rgin never give you usb anymore.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Virgin Media Rolls out 20mb Internet from 1st may - 10mb users upgrade for £2!

you wont be downloading at that speed all day soon then hehe

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...t/traffic.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

what virgin modem do you have is it black and flat (sa)or black and tall. (5100e)
    telewest and virgin are the same docsis sytem aswell as *** and cable/wireless all modems on the cable network work the same all docsis units, all from sysco systems.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Traffic management oh well so there will be a lot of mac swopping. lol

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

great, one HD film = first 3 gig at 20 and the rest at 5? Overnight downloads then! VM are trying really hard to piss everyone off!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

so on the 20 meg you will be able to download 3 gig between 4 pm and 12 am so basicly thats going to be about 20 mins of downloading then you go to 5 meg!

even though it says
    Benefits:

Fastest

* Up to 10Mb
    * No download limits†
    (unlike some of our competitors)

* Download a music track◊ in under 4 seconds

Im sorry but this sounds like a limit!

Broadband Size: XL
    During peak times, the top 5% on the Size: XL package download at least 3GB of traffic each.

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till midnight) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 5Mb, with their upload speed set to 256Kb. This will last for 4 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

on the lines of restriction, what happens if someone has spoofed your mac addy and is downloading? will theirs count on yours? if thats the case i cant see it working.
    Would you complain and say hey i know its hacked and it must be someone else using my bandwidth.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks
    Karma Level

blaggard/supraman54.... For "experienced" workers, you really have a seriously limited outlook. The chip I mentioned is clearly apparent and your so called knowledge of the city's attitude towards BT couldn't be further from the truth. You are likely to be speaking from experience of a smaller company and in that regard I agree you will not be shown the same level of service BT show their higher tier customers, but then those customers pay more for that level of service.

Blaggard's attempt at a retort was pathetic, and bordered on a personal attack, so lets hope for your sake Mule doesn't see it as you'll likely find yourself with a 3 point infringment.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was thinking the very same myself. i have been trying to ring a good friend that is in the cable compony to ask the very same.he did tell me it will take a long time to put in place. i was thinking that when you power up your modem it gos of to get the config file from there servers so if your 10 megs your file will be named cm-10240.385 so if your 20 megs your file will maybe called cm-20480.786 or somthing like that. so if you go over will they send you a hit to bring you down to a cm=5120.256 (5megs) well theres going to be a lot of hits buzzing around.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

see if i didnt owe every other fucking company money i would pullthe plug on theese cunts

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

but any way has anyone got there 20mb yet

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810 View Post
    blaggard/supraman54.... For "experienced" workers, you really have a seriously limited outlook. The chip I mentioned is clearly apparent and your so called knowledge of the city's attitude towards BT couldn't be further from the truth. You are likely to be speaking from experience of a smaller company and in that regard I agree you will not be shown the same level of service BT show their higher tier customers, but then those customers pay more for that level of service.

Blaggard's attempt at a retort was pathetic, and bordered on a personal attack, so lets hope for your sake Mule doesn't see it as you'll likely find yourself with a 3 point infringment.
    I work in a large multinational bank in London and we have been waiting for the reconnection of an important trading private wire for three weeks when a new circuit from say "westcom" can be done inside an hour.. go figure..
    We have about 3 thousand leased lines (and thats not higher tier?) and in the last year or so, often at the brokers request, we have migrated at least 3 E1's over from BT and the BT pipes are now almost empty and shortly to be cancelled.
    BT are also the only vendor who will refuse to take a fault report from the "B" end user.
    This has caused delays that have cost us trades and thats another reason for cancelling circuits.
    I have worked in this game for 44 years man and boy so please don't suggest my experience and knowledge is limited.. how long have you been in comms?

Anyway thats my pennyworth for now..
    PS I also know of Ben's history with the department.. lets not get into that one..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Traffic shaping is great, it means I should be able to surf properly when I get home from work,

and if i want to download huge amounts I can just leave it running overnight,

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Idiot, it was a personal defence to your personal attack. Go and have a read of your post! and for your information I am not an "experienced" worker, I happen to have spent most of my life as a pro musician now also teaching. I DID however have the experiences which informed my original post. I did not simply copy huge tracts of Telecoms publications and promos relying on statistics to bury the facts. My Brother on the other hand has a vast amount of experience and was working in the industry way before you were born. I don't expect to make any impression on you so this will be my last post on this matter, I will continue to post here as most of the thread has been interesting, have you noticed how nobody else is getting involved? it should be telling you something but probably won't penetrate through those rose tinted specs of yours. And incidentally, one of my central points was about the cable delivering this wondrous service you lectured me on, the fact remains it's copper, largely waterlogged and jointed (that's a misnomer) with aluminium, it's the reason people now rarely get the promised speeds past about 3.5 k, then there's the clustering...... enough already!
    Last edited by blaggard; 4th May 2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: further point

Thanks
    Karma Level

Come on boys now now, i dont care what ya all say BT cannot keep up with cable internet well not over two shitty old wires, sat systems maybe, but what the fuck. give use faster speeds all day long, the network can handle it,

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Daveshooter View Post
    Come on boys now now, i dont care what ya all say BT cannot keep up with cable internet well not over two shitty old wires, sat systems maybe, but what the fuck. give use faster speeds all day long, the network can handle it,
    word

Thanks
    Karma Level

Blag... Last point on the matter...

My initial post was taken from nowhere but my own personal experience and knowledge (Ive been in the game for over 10 years so long enough to have formed an opinion), and unlike your brother, you are completely lacking in tact and self discipline, which is not an endearing feature for a post middle aged man...

Not once did I call you an "idiot" or an "ignorant bag of shite" or even anything remotely resembling a personal insult. I merely challenged what you were saying. If you can't handle a little bit of adult debate, then what the fuck are you doing on a forum?

Anyway, Supraman, most of your points in that last post are fairly valid since BT's one downfall is that they are concentrating so heavily on building on ICT infrastructure and services that they tend to neglect "traditional" technologies. The faults and service departments indeed need an overhaul, but that is exactly what is happening. Things will not change overnight, but from the situation BT were in 2001 to the current, they have come on leaps and bounds and are going in the right direction.

I work as an Independant IP Network Consultant and I can assure you, the horror stories are not confined to BT alone. From my experience dealing with most of the big Telco's and Network Service Providers, BT is actually amongst one of the best right now. BUT, I guess each situation is different, and every company will have pro BT and anti BT techies depending on their own personal experience with each of the providers.

Lets just agree to disagree.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Fair enough.. but i did 30 years on BT and they started shooting theirself in the foot way back.. Ben's work in the london office ( my buddy was his sidekick then) paved the way for big changes, not least the introduction of broadband for the masses.
    He didn't stay with that project though and as an original founder member of the first openworld customers (green frog a mandatory badge of memebership) I stayed with openworld for 3 years with no probs till I said I was moving 500yards and wanted to move the service so " should I unplug the adsl modem and take it with me ready for provisioning at the new address?"
    "No" said the salesperson I spoke to "you have to post it back to us and we will charge you £75 for one at your new address + installation fee".
    At this point I asked for retentions and jumped ship to cable..
    Damn shame especially as i'm an ex Bt tech.. but it's an example of how Joe Public has developed a disenchantment with BT as well as large corporates..

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Blag... Last point on the matter...

My initial post was taken from nowhere but my own personal experience and knowledge (Ive been in the game for over 10 years so long enough to have formed an opinion), and unlike your brother, you are completely lacking in tact and self discipline, which is not an endearing feature for a post middle aged man...

Not once did I call you an "idiot" or an "ignorant bag of shite" or even anything remotely resembling a personal insult. I merely challenged what you were saying. If you can't handle a little bit of adult debate, then what the fuck are you doing on a forum?

Anyway, Supraman, most of your points in that last post are fairly valid since BT's one downfall is that they are concentrating so heavily on building on ICT infrastructure and services that they tend to neglect "traditional" technologies. The faults and service departments indeed need an overhaul, but that is exactly what is happening. Things will not change overnight, but from the situation BT were in 2001 to the current, they have come on leaps and bounds and are going in the right direction.

I work as an Independant IP Network Consultant and I can assure you, the horror stories are not confined to BT alone. From my experience dealing with most of the big Telco's and Network Service Providers, BT is actually amongst one of the best right now. BUT, I guess each situation is different, and every company will have pro BT and anti BT techies depending on their own personal experience with each of the providers.

Lets just agree to disagree.
    It was a lengthy diatribe and featured little gems like
    "you're talking a load of uneducated bollox." and
    "so before you sprout off again with uneducated, biased opinions, do a few google searches and ensure whats coming out of your mouth is fit for consumption"
    Quite personal enough for me I'm afraid and if you think that my "bag of shite" and "idiot" retorts (and yes they WERE retorts coming AFTER your venomous little lecture) were bad, Heaven forfend you should ever upset the likes of CZ (sorry for the example CZ) or some of the other luminaries on here. And to paraphrase your own post, if you can't stand a little direct talking what are you doing on a forum?
    Last edited by blaggard; 4th May 2007 at 07:53 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Blaggard.. actually me and CZ have had some interesting exchanges across the years.

You are correct though, in that my first post could be taken personally (although my insults were directed at what you were saying, not you as a person) and since it was written at a very late hour, after a few beers, I apologise for my "venom"... Your insults however, were directed at me as a person, and I took offence to that. The irony is that we're probably both nice guys who would get along if we met in person. The internet can really twist the tone of words.

C'est la vie

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast