Close

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Virgin Media Rolls out 20mb Internet from 1st may - 10mb users upgrade for £2!

Sweet! I'm in Bromly and was done last week or so.

Unplug for 10 minutes for new IP?! bullshit me thinks.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Virgin Media Rolls out 20mb Internet from 1st may - 10mb users upgrade for £2!

I know, used to be Croydon first and Bromley last, then VM got involved! gits, I waited forever for the upgrades when I lived in Crystal Palace and Bromley, ex C & W but now.....!!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

heh yeah.

Let me be first first to congratulate you on your next post (1,000)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by inspironx View Post
    heh yeah.

Let me be first first to congratulate you on your next post (1,000)
    oooh thanks, well spotted, this'll be it then!!
    Last edited by blaggard; 3rd May 2007 at 07:46 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by inspironx View Post
    Unplug for 10 minutes for new IP?! bullshit me thinks.
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me, I've unplugged my set top box for a short time before to get a new IP, works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    My router is off every night and I never get a different IP
    Your router has nothing to do with your external IP address.

Daveshooter seems only to be trying to help. +K from me.
    Last edited by Mule; 3rd May 2007 at 12:41 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me, I've unplugged my set top box for a short time before to get a new IP, works fine.

Your router has nothing to do with your external IP address.

Daveshooter seems only to be trying to help. +K from me.
    Router AND modem for the pedants among us!!
    It used to work for me 4-5 years ago when I was in a different area and with N T L but since moving to a Telebrest area it hasn't
    And yes, I agree, he is just trying to be helpful, a little gentle ribbing only from me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    The only reason cable companies don't run fibre past the cabinet but terminate and then run coax is because they are not allowed, BT could not compete, no doubt IF BT ever get around to it (any idea how long and how much it would take to run all that fibre at this late stage? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN) I worked for BT in the early 70s, my Brother only quit in 1992 and still work in comms, you may know ISPs but I'm sorry, comms are not your strength. BT have been mollycoddled by successive governments even AFTER they lost their monopoly otherwise they couldn't compete, back in the late 70s companies like Ericsson manufactured (then) very advanced internal comms sytems which BT could only dream about, they weren't allowed to connect them to the external system run by BT because BT could not compete, we were the laughing stock of Europe, pre war exchanges.....I could go on forever but please, wake up and smell the coffee, BT have, with the help of their old bosses held everyone back rather than invest in a proper National comms network.
    Since this thread was ressurrected, I'll comment on the post above because, and I apologise for being direct, you're talking a load of uneducated bollox...

The only reason cable companies don't run fibre past the cabinet but terminate and then run coax is because they are not allowed, BT could not compete, no doubt IF BT ever get around to it (any idea how long and how much it would take to run all that fibre at this late stage? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN)
    No, way back when BT had a monoploy (5 years +), they restricted other operators access to cabinets and exchanges to maintain market share granted, but Ofcom (Oftel back then) were still tough regulators and restricted BT's own developement because the government had paid for the core network back in the day (amongst other reasons). BT are well into the developement of the 21st Century Network and have successfully launched it in the testbad of Cardiff. By 2010 the PSTN will be shut down to be replaced by a fully meshed fibre MPLS core network (developement started in 2002 so there is your 8 year timeline) which will allow all new access lines (phone and data, commercial and private) to be run in on fibre (which is way cheaper than running in copper).

I worked for BT in the early 70s, my Brother only quit in 1992 and still work in comms, you may know ISPs but I'm sorry, comms are not your strength.
    Clearly.... your views mirror that of a 1970's telecoms worker who has not kept up with times and has a chip on their shoulder regarding BT. If you do indeed still work in Telecoms then your competitor knowledge is seriously lacking. Have a read through the last 3 years of Telco papers and you'll soon find BT have been best in class (in almost all areas) since Ben Verwaayen jumped aboard. If you have any doubts about BT's position, ask C&W how successful they were in their venture to "Secure a significant market share of BT's corporate customers lines" .... BT retained 94% of it's existing customers during the onslaught, while winning back a large portion of C&W's own customers in the process...

BT have been mollycoddled by successive governments even AFTER they lost their monopoly otherwise they couldn't compete, back in the late 70s companies like Ericsson manufactured (then) very advanced internal comms sytems which BT could only dream about, they weren't allowed to connect them to the external system run by BT because BT could not compete, we were the laughing stock of Europe, pre war exchanges
    Mollycoddled??? Oh, you mean the years of strict government funded regulation imposed on BT forcing them to set their prices within a range while their competition ran riot?? I think BT have done extremely well just to stay there or there abouts, let alone ahead of the pack... Your blag about Ericsson is also laughable as almost every BT exchange in the country houses Ericsson equipment alongside Cisco, Nortel, Siemans and Marconi. And another point to make is that BT's R&D department at Adastral Park is one of the countries leading innovation centres (and has plenty of awards to prove it). Cisco themselves ask BT to develop new technology for them as they have more qualified engineers and can come up with solutions far quicker.

I could go on forever but please, wake up and smell the coffee, BT have, with the help of their old bosses held everyone back rather than invest in a proper National comms network.
    That last point just caps it off... The 21st Century Network is the world's most radical next generation network transformation programme. It has required an investment by BT of up to £10bn to 2010 and will put the UK at the cutting edge of innovation. BT are working with Fujitsu, Huawei, Alcatel, Cisco, Siemens, Lucent, Ericsson and Ciena to impliment this network, which hardly shows their lack of collaboration. Once 21CN is complete, BT will have the worlds first fully IP core network which will help put Britain back on the map for technology advances, so before you sprout off again with uneducated, biased opinions, do a few google searches and ensure whats coming out of your mouth is fit for consumption.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your link from us appears to be about 20.066086Mb/s....Nah,na,na,na,nahhhh am loving it....Right,whats first to get DL me wonders

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

neo2810
    Firstly it hasn't been "ressurrected", some of us have been keeping up. I'll let my Brother comment when he has time, he worked for BT until 92 and has a far better depth of knowledge.
    However, I was speaking from personal experience and am taking umbrage at your personal attack, apology for being direct doesn't actually cover your comments you ignorant bag of shite! I suggest we leave it at this and not escalate burt that's entirely up to you. You are obviously a big BT fan and we will inevitably disagree!

Oh and PS
    instead of sprouting the party line you might try paying attention to the various forums dotted around and get an idea of the experience of BT customers, or can't you fit a PC up BTs back passage?
    Last edited by blaggard; 3rd May 2007 at 01:45 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by toto67 View Post
    Your link from us appears to be about 20.066086Mb/s....Nah,na,na,na,nahhhh am loving it....Right,whats first to get DL me wonders
    Now that's just mean!!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote :Clearly.... your views mirror that of a 1970's telecoms worker who has not kept up with times and has a chip on their shoulder regarding BT. If you do indeed still work in Telecoms then your competitor knowledge is seriously lacking. Have a read through the last 3 years of Telco papers and you'll soon find BT have been best in class (in almost all areas) since Ben Verwaayen jumped aboard. If you have any doubts about BT's position, ask C&W how successful they were in their venture to "Secure a significant market share of BT's corporate customers lines" .... BT retained 94% of it's existing customers during the onslaught, while winning back a large portion of C&W's own customers in the process... : unquote

What galls me is the "holier than thou" attitude displayed in this post.. I am Blaggards brother and have worked in telecoms continuously since 1963 and i'm still going strong..
    In the city we are ditching BT as fast as we can because of their cavalier attitude to customers and the archaic processes they still use that takes up to four weeks to reconnect a digital circuit that was dis'd in error a day previous.
    Please allow other people (older than you by far) to know a bit about what they've spent a lifetime learning.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry Dave

Hey I did soften the bullshit comment with a smilie Plus I tried it. It's bullshit

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm in Bexley and have had the 20 meg for almost 2 weeks.. only problem is that for the last week the service has been up and down ... with somtimes 1.5 meg and then, when everybody is akip, it's roaring at 20 meg.. I guess rebalancing is going to be part of the exercise so i'll be patient.. I hope the rest of you get it soon.
    Last edited by supraman54; 3rd May 2007 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok i am well aware that some peaple out there on the tin tin net feel that thay have to disagree about anything somone els is saying. if ya think its bullshit its up to you. i live in the southwest on the best cable network going the good old jellywest i am using a
    SB4100 the cream one. when i reset my modem from the menu 192.168.100.1 after changing the channel say from 4 down to 2, i get a new ip address. some times it can be a pain in the ass as i have to ring a friend with my new one so i can have access to his server. all i am saying is it worked for me. maybe its becouse i am a born again v_rgin.

Thanks
    Karma Level

turn off th emodem for 10 minutes... then check http://192.160.100.1 ) or 1.100 I can;t remember) click on the signal option, there you can see the link status and speed, and of course the downstream bandwith...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am watching the picture, what next dose she get her tits out. lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

so how fast can people hit their 3 gig download cap with 20meg now then lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been on a 2mb connection for about half a year now with Virgin and with my computer upstairs (Using wireless) I can reach downloads up to 230k/Bs but with my PC thats connected directly to the router it can sometimes reach up to 1mb downloads. Never gotten higher than that.

If the feedback on their 20mb is any good I'll consider upgrading, haven't gotten a letter yet though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Who has a 3 gig download cap, i download all day and night & 10.3 megs, from the pooyonder news servers aswell as news servers all over the uk and the eu,now i have 20 megs i can download a dvd 4.45 gigs in just under 5. mins using newzbin.i have downloaded over a 100 gigs in 2 or 3 days so no cap on here. so whats going to happon when we get 50megs end of june.07

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Daveshooter View Post
    old jellywest i am using a SB4100 the cream one.
    Telewest modem. Right. Useful info that was missing. There's me turning my Virgin modem off for 10 minutes on the back of your confidence

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast