Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question A Little Info Please

Hi.

I have read the stickies and found them very helpful. I haven't trained in over 3 years and lots of things seem to have changed.

What is your opinion of capsules over drinks?

I was looking at some Creatine + Glutamine supplements on eBay and cannot make my mind up has to which is the better option.

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: A Little Info Please

I recently read some scientific reviews about both these and quite a few other supplements and creatine seemed the better supplement over glutamine.

Creatine will give better gains and you will have more energy when lifting, but only a small percentage more. It also helps your body make more protiens which increases overall lean mass. A downside is that it may not help certian people...but as there are no known side effects then I suppose it's certainly worth a try.

Also there were notes/studies on the loading phase, the old style 20g per day for 5 days followed by 2g per day maintenance was shown to be less beneficial than lower doses over a longer time ie; 0.5 - 1 gram 6 times a day for 30 days then followed by a 2g per day top.

Glutamine seemed more geared to promoting cell growth in muscles and boosting you immune system whilst exercising, so again it's believed to be benficial.

Scientifc studies did prove it helped recovery after excessive training, but not in weight lifting. Also it has absolutely no effect on muscle mass at all. Dosage was undecided but went on the basis of 100mg per kg of body weight within 2 hours of training.

Also with regards to taking creatine. "They" advised against taking it for the first few months of training. If you haven't trained for X amount of time you body will actually have an abundant supply already. It's only after your natual phosphocreatine stores start to drop (from training hard) you will notice the effects when taking it.

What were the capsules you were on about?
    Last edited by ffrr; 25th March 2007 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi and thanks for the above info. The capsules were http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STRONG-CEE-CRE...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just had a quick read on the ebay link.... this is just my opinion but it looks like a typical "blinding you with science" sales pitch, plus some of what they state to me doesn't seem kosher with regards to it's claims, and there's no mention of how much is in the capsules dosage wise...

I'm no expert though! I'm currently learning about sports nutrition. From what I have read to date, from entry entry level to semi-pro you can get all your bodies requirements purely through eating normal foods... to notice the effects it's all about calculating your intake/outake, fat-protien-carbohydrate %, timing your meals, and really using "food for fuel" in the right way..oh, and not forgetting daily exercise! Supplements are just extra top-ups of what your food should be supplying already! ... I'm sure all this is in one of the stickied threads? heheh no worries :) ...

The only thing I would recommend taking is whey protein, and a good multi vitamin with at least 23 vitamins and omega 3's, again this is completely my own opinion and from what I have experienced myself through trial and error.
    Last edited by ffrr; 26th March 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Forget all them supps that will make you grow,add mass bullshit m8...Get some decent protein in you and a decent diet to boot..There is no point in wasteing money on buying shit that either wont suit you or you will end up sticking them in a cupboard...If say after 6 months you are still as keen etc then maybe dable in a bit of creatine,glutamine etc..I think people think that most SUPPS are the way to go...PROTEIN first n foremost m8...The guy above has gave some decent info there also,regarding some supps to take for the mo,but dont think that creatine works for everyone as you will be majorly disappointed m8...Good luck and anything else,just ask

Thanks
    Karma Level

THANKS for ALL the advice above you 2. K++