Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Xbox 360 Andre Vrignaud Confirms no HDMI-cable for 'old 360s', HDMI Advantages

Andre Vrignaud (Ozymandias) working for Microsoft confirmed in a reply on his blog what we kinda already knew ... but it's the first time Microsoft says/admits it ... the 'old 360' will not get a HDMI cable:

Re: "Will there be an HDMI cable released for us early adopters? If not that kinda sucks."

Unfortunately there will not be an HDMI adapter released for the original 360. The HDMI spec is basically a 2-way street and requires the specific port on both sides to be enabled. This is why we had to change the box.
    Thanks to Jake for the link.

Yesterday, Engadget ran a story that Microsoft support claimed a component-to-HDMI adapter might be released. Even if true, they are probably talking about an analog-to-digital converter (which are already available out there btw) which obviously misses the point of using HDMI. Talking about the advantages to use HDMI, kotaku.com has an interesting story about that:

I'll explain why someone would want HDMI:
    1: DVDCCA, AACS consortium & ICT (& 360 VGA wonkiness)
    2: Very few HDTVs will not accept 1080p over component, and most will not take it over VGA.
    3: HDMI 1.3 provides audio options that optical or coaxial audio do not.
    4: HDMI can carry higher quality video.
    5: HDMI is a wonderful cabling solution. If you have 4 component video devices on a switch box (4:1), like I do, you have at least 20 cables on the back of that box.
    Full Story: kotaku.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Andre Vrignaud Confirms no HDMI-cable for 'old 360s', HDMI Advantages

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    2: Very few HDTVs will not accept 1080p over component, and most will not take it over VGA.
    The 1080p option to out from the 360, other than being in-keeping with the PS3, is pointless then?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Andre Vrignaud Confirms no HDMI-cable for 'old 360s', HDMI Advantages

Some tv's (like the sony bravia's) won't accept 1080p over component, some do (samsung F series). You can get 1080p (1920x1080) on VGA however (on my bravia anyhow) it looks washed out . I'm really hoping the spring update from MS does something about this as it looks shit currrently.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It looks washed out because its VGA, and something to do with the colour palette that I read somewhere being sent for monitors....
    If you use VGA adjust the settings till you get something that your happy with.

And the fact we ain`t gettin no HDMI - what a loads of bollocks!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

So the people that take on the console first are being bent over and shafted again in favour of new customers. This sucks. After the trouble ive had with my 360s and old xbox i dont think i will be buying another ms console

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

the washed out vga is all to with s/w vga black level in the 360,its 0 instead of 16 or something as i recall
    they could fix this in s/w so easily, v annoying , half the world have moaned about the washed out vga since it came out.tho on some sets its fine.
    i switched back to comp due to black looking grey thru vga.
    which is annoying cos it would free up my component port if i could use it....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmmm, maybe I have been lucky but black is definately black through my 42" LCD via VGA, no real difference to component.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i run my 360 threw a vga lead on to a 19" monitor. Might be me but im really happy with the picture, as above black is def black on it and doesnt look washed out at all