Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Finding Out If A Company Is Still Trading?

Not sure where I should post this so thought id try in here. Kinda a long story, so apologies if this is long...

Anyway, basically I took former employers to an Employment Tribunal about 10 months ago as they owed me a months wages after their cheqeue bounced. I won the decision unanimously, and expected to be paid the wages plus an extra £400 as ordered by the Tribunals judge.

After waiting and waiting for the money, I received no reply from the company despite me sending numerous letters to them. Around 6 months ago I received a CC'd letter from the companies solicitors asking the Employment Tribunal for a rehearing. This was promptly denied by the tribunal.

Anyway after receiving no reply after letters and faxes again I decided to enforce the decision about 4 months ago. So I went to County Court, paid the £35 fee so a judge could order them to pay up, and also let me enforce the decision with bailiffs etc. Again the County Court judge ordered them to pay and let me enforce the decision if I so wished.

Again I received no reply from them. So I was about to pay a £120 fee for a Warrent of execut1on so I could send the bailiffs round. I decided to e-mail them one final time 2 weeks ago to show I was serious, and to my shock the MD replied. He denied all knowledge about knowing about an Court Action against them, which was funny as they got their solicitors involved a few months previously asking for a rehearing. Anyway he said he would fight the decision.

I was just about to send off the fee to enforce the decision when yesterday I received another e-mail from the companies MD saying they are no longer trading. He said there will be nothing of any value at their premises so I shouldn't get the bailiffs in and he doesn't want me losing the fee. He said all funds recovered from them will be paid to secured creditors and government agencies.

In my opinion it's total bullshit about them ceasing trading, they just dont want me sending the bailiffs in. It says nothing on companies house website about them ceasing trading, they still have staff at the premises who are taking calls for customers, and they're still advertising for employees on monster.co.uk. The company is famed for bullshitting people, when I was working there they were in the local paper numerous times with unsatisfied workers and former employees and even made it to the daily mirror.

But is there any other way I can check to see if they're still up and running, I really do not wanna lose the £120 fee to the bailiffs. Also I have 2 addresses for the company. Is there any way of finding out where their main offices are from an 0845 number?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Finding Out If A Company Is Still Trading?

Thanks
    Karma Level

www.companieshouse.gov.uk

Im not sure what you can get there but it seems the obvious place to start. Their call centre is VERY helpful too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah that was where I first looked, it says the company is active.

Any idea's about finding their main office address? The one on companies house website is different to the one in their Codes of Practice on the comanies website. I've sent letters to the one on companies house website before and received no reply.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The one on companies house will be their registered address, which could have almost nothing to do with them. If you buy an off-the-shelf company it will come with a registered address that in theory may have nothing to do with your company itself. I know when I had my company our registered address didn't change, despite our offices changing several times. Not sure what the legalities are.

It strikes me that if they are as dodgy as you suggest they could quite easily retain the premises and staff but be trading under a different name. I think you can pay Companies House to do a search on the directors, and that *should* give you a list of all their other directorships, which could enable you to see if they have created a new company, but again, I'm not 100%.

I reckon your best bet is to send the bailiffs in, seeing as you've got that far down the line already.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh right, cheers mate I didn't know that, I guess i'll send them in to the address that's on their website. I know when I was there, the Director had several companies under different names, so they may do as you suggest and start trading under a different name.

They are dodgy though, ofcom rated them in the top 3 worst telecoms companies last year. It's really pissed me off that it's come down to this, now they have the cheek to say their is nothing of any value on their premises and theyre ceasing trading. I think theyre just hoping I wont go through with it and trying to blag me as that's what they were like when I was an employee.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can you not just ring them up as a customer?

Thanks
    Karma Level

That might help, but its pretty easy to set up a new company, and "trade as" someone else. All they would need to do would be to present their staff with new employment contracts under the new name.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by carlover View Post
    Can you not just ring them up as a customer?
    They ask for the customers reference number or billing number straight away. I think all their customers only have a PO box address for them anyway as they don't want disgruntled customers coming round to their offices like they did when I was there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

No way of posing as a real dozy twat and getting them to look up company number for an address - you must remember of at least 1 client?