Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Wii outselling PS3 in the UK?

That’s what leaked figures from chart supremos Chart Track seem to indicate. According to Spong, last week 17,000 PS3s were sold in the UK, compared to 25,000 Wiis. I should stress, these are leaked, so WHO KNOWS, they could be completely wrong. Have I covered my back? Good.
    Forget the triumphant fanboyism. It’s clear there’s more demand for Wiis than PS3s right now, especially as Wii stocks are still limited (i.e. that figure would have been higher if there were more consoles available). But it’s still way too early to start talking about winners and losers in the console war.
    However, if PS3 sales really are sluggish, it’s good news for Wii owners in another respect. The publishers who’ve been putting so much time and money into PS3 development will be nervously wondering if they should reduce the element of risk by… yep, putting more resources into Wii games!
    See the earlier story for more evidence on this.
    (via Spong)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Wii outselling PS3 in the UK?

they are selling so fast round my way, i still cant get a wii, ive been every were, even got one on order but still no joy

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tried high and low to buy one from a retailer a couple of weeks ago. I ended up having to buy a pre-modded one (with original games - ooo the irony)
    ================
    Newbie all over again
    ================

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got 2 from GAME in the trafford centre - I was in-and-out, they sold 3 with bundles in the 5 or so mins I was there...
    Its a great machine - simple to use for everyone, *and* it has games for kids & 'Adults',
    Sony and M$ seem to have lost sight of this market and are just chasing the 17-35 Market..
    I really hope Ninendo win this time - as it will shake up the next generation for the better

Thanks
    Karma Level

well its not because the gfx are good or online is good

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been trying to source a Wii since christmas. Still no joy

Thanks
    Karma Level

I hope it does well too but I'm not sure it will long term. The obvious titles will do extremely well (Mario, Metroid etc) but the minute anyone like EA trys to bring out a mulitplatform title, it just looks nasty compared to the 360 or PS3. Be honest, if there's a new version of PES, Call of Duty, Splinter Cell etc (you get the idea) would anyone choose the Wii version? Maybe if that's your only console but for the most part, you'll go for the PS3 or 360 one. Over a period of time, I think this will really impact on the Wii's sales as publishers will stop making money on the console and then start favouring the other two. Similar to what happened on the Cube. Don't get me wrong I really like it as a games console but it doesn't satisfy enough of my gaming needs. I've still got a pile of PS2 games to complete anyhow, FFXII, Dragon Quest VII, GOD2 to name but few. For that reason, I've held off buying a PS3 and 360 but I will get both sometime in the future. Couldn't resist the Wii though, even if it is currently collecting dust.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The reason why you cant hardly find any is because they ae selling and Nintendo are slow at making and distribution them.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6...wwwwwc2um1.gif

Sony Fanboy
    A person who has an undying urge to sway everyone that is not a believer of the belief system they have towards the Playstation 3 or every piece of sony hardware.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i think the 'fun' will start this xmas - I can see nintendo removing the gamecube ports and repackaging a 'wii Light' version for say £99.95 - £129.95 - package that with 'wii sports or wii sports Plus' and they'll have a real hard time making enough

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Livers View Post
    I hope it does well too but I'm not sure it will long term. The obvious titles will do extremely well (Mario, Metroid etc) but the minute anyone like EA trys to bring out a mulitplatform title, it just looks nasty compared to the 360 or PS3. Be honest, if there's a new version of PES, Call of Duty, Splinter Cell etc (you get the idea) would anyone choose the Wii version? Maybe if that's your only console but for the most part, you'll go for the PS3 or 360 one. Over a period of time, I think this will really impact on the Wii's sales as publishers will stop making money on the console and then start favouring the other two. Similar to what happened on the Cube. Don't get me wrong I really like it as a games console but it doesn't satisfy enough of my gaming needs. I've still got a pile of PS2 games to complete anyhow, FFXII, Dragon Quest VII, GOD2 to name but few. For that reason, I've held off buying a PS3 and 360 but I will get both sometime in the future. Couldn't resist the Wii though, even if it is currently collecting dust.

This is because it is a fad, i have not played my Wii in like 2-3 months sure it is the same for allot of other people too

Sony Fanboy
    A person who has an undying urge to sway everyone that is not a believer of the belief system they have towards the Playstation 3 or every piece of sony hardware.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not so sure it's a fad, more a case of developers or games designers not understanding how to best use the controller. I think they have been pressured to get games out quickly as publishers saw a quick buck to be made but I hope/expect games being released around Christmas time should have more thought and controller specific gameplay features. Everyone thought the DS would be a fad and that's done extremely well, I much prefer using the touch screen to playing my PSP and if developers can design games in the same way for the Wii then they will do well but I just can't see anyone other than Nintendo and maybe the odd one or two titles doing it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If anyone needs a Wii let me know as I counsin works in Virgin and she is able to put them back ... RRP + postage if it helps anyone .. I've had two in one weekend for me and my mate ..

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got my Wii a couple of weeks back for my nippers b'day yesterday (lovin it)
    But not seen any since.
    I have had every console since Playstation, PS2, XBOX,360, PSP, DS & DS Lite and now the Wii, no intention of getting PS3.
    Nothing there to tempt me that I havent already got in terms of games & playability especially at the price.
    Not really surprised the Wii is outselling PS3 as it offers a new gaming perspective, whereas the PS3 is only playing catchup to the 360, plus the price difference is a big factor.
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

Thanks
    Karma Level

For anyone still struggling to find one, this site allowed me to get one in 3 days.

Lists every site that has them in stock, and also tells you how long each shop took to sell out.

http://www.wii-consoles.co.uk/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Drogo View Post
    If anyone needs a Wii let me know as I counsin works in Virgin and she is able to put them back ... RRP + postage if it helps anyone .. I've had two in one weekend for me and my mate ..
    That's a great offer mate, K+

Thanks
    Karma Level

It is clear this generation is not purely about powerful hardware, people feel its time to see a little inovation, something Sony and Microsoft have still failed to do or perhaps not to the same extent nintendo has.

I do believe the novelty will wear off however, unless designers constantly new and
    refreshing ways to use the controller.

The price seems to play a big factor also, in this day and age anything over £250 and you are probably pricing yourself out of the market, which is the case with the ps3 which has well out priced itself ,regardless of its power and blu ray etc it still fails to entice most consumers.

Maybe another part of wii's success is the fact it does not profess to be anything other than a games console, which to me is very appealing and probably is to others also, to much emphasis is placed upon squeezing as much non gaming related goodies into consoles these days that their primary purpose is an afterthought.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think there's too much emphasis on the cost of the console as once you start buying accessories, games and all the rest, I doubt there's much difference between all three consoles. Three extra controllers on the PS3 will cost you £90 whereas if you want 3 extra controllers on the Wii (remote+nunchuk) it would cost you £135. While I realise power doesn't make a great game, it does help sometimes and I can't wait for the next MGS and GTA games to come out. Still if the developers don't put the effort in then it stands for nothing. PES6 on the 360 has some hideous slow down, something which I thought would be gone with the next gen consoles. I'm holding off on a PS3 purchase at the moment but I know for sure I'll crack the moment something decent is on the horizon, it's very early days and programmers are having a much easier time with the 360 and Wii, same thing happened with the PS2 Vs the Cube and Xbox. Look at titles like GOD2 and you'll see how programmers learn over time how to push the hardware. On the Xbox, you didn't get the same learning curve and I suspect it will be the same again. Besides, I reckon the PS3 will be £299 by Christmas and then it will be a no-brainer.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Livers View Post
    I reckon the PS3 will be £299 by Christmas and then it will be a no-brainer.
    Na i think the price drop will be in October if it would happen.

Sony Fanboy