Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 'Neighbour from hell' OAP jailed

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>'Neighbour from hell' OAP jailed

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><!-- S BO --><!-- S IBOX --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibtbg>
    The judge said Evans "would not change"

<!-- S IMED -->Evans outside court
    <!-- E IMED -->
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IBOX --><!-- S SF -->An 81-year-old woman has been jailed for six months for making her neighbours' lives "absolute hell".

Dorothy Evans, from Abergavenny in Monmouthshire, had been convicted of harassment and six breaches of an Asbo.

Judge Roderick Denyer QC said he took into account her age but said she had made her neighbours' lives "a misery".

She had been threatened with arrest after failing to appear in court for sentence on Monday, claiming she was unwell and in hospital having tests.
    <!-- E SF -->
    The judge said: "These offences all involve neighbours of yours. It's abundantly clear you will not change."

He told Evans he accepted there was a "good and positive side" to her nature.

But he added: "It seems to me, despite your age and despite your infirmities, you have deliberately, for a period going on for 10 years, made life a misery for your neighbours."

<!-- S IBOX --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibtbg>
    The consequences of your behaviour must be brought home to you

Judge Roderick Denyer QC

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IBOX -->
    He told Evans her sentence would have been "much longer if you had been younger".

The existing Asbo will also remain in place.

He said that Evans' neighbours Angela and Roberto Casa were "eminently decent and reasonable people".

"You made their lives a misery, as was apparent both at the trial and by the witness impact statements".

The judge, who told her she would serve a minimum of three months in jail, also criticised her for failing to cooperate with the probation service.

"In my view, the consequences of your behaviour must be brought home to you."

'Frightening experience'

As sentence was passed, Evans' daughter Barbara Thomas sobbed uncontrollably.

David Webster, defending, asked for her not to be sent to prison, saying she had a "fear" of going to jail.

"There is no doubt that this is a woman that stands in terror of a prison sentence," he said.

Mr Webster said that a suspended sentence she was given in 2001 was the only thing she had not breached and had been a "good deterrent".

"Send her to prison and the deterrent effect of that will rapidly evaporate," he said.

He also claimed that she was capable of being a good neighbour.
    <!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> Mrs Casa said the pensioner made her life 'absolute hell'

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->
    "This is a lady who does have another side . There are those who have known her for a long time who are prepared to speak well of her.

He added that she had become "obsessional" about the dispute with the Casas.

In February, the trial heard how Evans had made her neighbours' lives "absolute hell".

She was convicted of offences against her next-door neighbours, the Casas, in Park Crescent between January and June 2006.

The jury heard how Evans had told the couple's 13-year-old daughter she was a witch and would cast a spell on her family and kill her pet dog.

Angela Casa described several neighbourly disputes, including rows over parking and flooding problems. She claimed the pensioner called her a pr0stitute and that she tried to run her off the road on several occasions and had hit her with a walking stick.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/6560537.stm

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 'Neighbour from hell' OAP jailed

shocking, shes obv. a horrible old cunt but jails no place for her at 81. there surely must be some alternative

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beacytanUK View Post
    there surely must be some alternative
    Like what? Send her down for a little while and she might change. I suppose alternatively you could place her daughter with her (who is mentioned so obviously doesn't think her dear old mother should go to prison) and if she makes a mockery of it send the daughter down instead.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

A dunking stool...?

W.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

well firstly as i said jail is no place for a woman of 81 - NO MATTER WHAT IMO. also, she will just be a burden upon the prison and staff anyway so costing tax payers more money etc. as for the alternative, i just dont know what it is but def not jail

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    The jury heard how Evans had told the couple's 13-year-old daughter she was a witch and would cast a spell on her family and kill her pet dog.
    And the daughter belived her at 13?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't understand why jail is not a place a place for an 81 year old? I mean, if you're being such a cunt you should expect to pay the price eventually.

I hate old people like this. They should be sweet and charming and drink tea and eat toast in the afternoon sun and make jam in the spring and give you eccles cakes and ice cream and tell you to ignore your parents...

Thanks
    Karma Level

"You have a long history of offences of this kind: in November 1999, three allegations and convictions of harassment; March 19, 2001, seven instances of harassment involving breach of a restraining order; August 6, 2004, further offences of harassment and breach of a restraining order; and most recently May 18, 2005, harassment for which you were made subject of an Asbo for five years.

"It's that order you breached when the jury convicted you of these offences." The judge said: "It is absolutely clear you will not change."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...059157,00.html

well firstly as i said jail is no place for a woman of 81 - NO MATTER WHAT IMO.
    She should've thought about that before.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

if it was your nan and she was a cunt to her next door neighbours, you would be happy to see her carted off to jail???? i am not justifying what she done in anyway, as i said, shes a right horrible old cunt, i just think jail isnt the answer

Thanks
    Karma Level

LOOOOL! OMG thats jokes! cnt they just make her move or something put her in a home? the prison staff are gunna have 2 help her around and shit like that..no warm coco for her at nite then!,and a 13 year old thoe 2 belive her pet will die wtf?! she needs a bitch slap man!

Thanks
    Karma Level

if it was your nan and she was a cunt to her next door neighbours, you would be happy to see her carted off to jail???? i am not justifying what she done in anyway, as i said, shes a right horrible old cunt, i just think jail isnt the answer
    If she was my nan then my parents would've taken some fucking responsibility for the situation before it reached this stage. I can't say whether I'd be happy, I highly doubt I would be but I don't know what she's like with relatives.

I doubt the 13 year old actually believed the woman but it could still be upsetting. The other accusations of her hitting the neighbours with her stick and attempting to run them off the road however are serious enough to warrant punishment.

As a side point, the ultimate deterrent (jail) which her lawyer speaks of is apparently no longer there because the judge has decided to use it. If he hadn't and she'd got away with it again then you can argue that it isn't an ultimate deterrent because no-one will apparently use it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

well firstly as i said jail is no place for a woman of 81 - NO MATTER WHAT IMO. also, she will just be a burden upon the prison and staff anyway so costing tax payers more money etc. as for the alternative, i just dont know what it is but def not jail

From what I saw on the news at lunch see seemed like a right old bint. She was told on numerous occasions about her behaviour and also issued various ASBO's, yet she still carried on.

She also lives with her daughter who seemed to be pretty normal, so she should of taken some responsibility for her mothers actions or at least tried to put a stop to it.

I agree prison is not the ideal place for an 81 year old but I also agree that the same "rules" should apply to all. If she carried on after many warnings then I see it suitable punishment. Anyway, they said she would only do 3 months.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJAd View Post
    Anyway, they said she would only do 3 months.
    ONLY? 3 months is a long time in jail, especially when your 81

Thanks
    Karma Level

this reminds me of the neighbour of one of my ex gfs, she had this miserable old guy living next door to her and he would moan about everything, fetching the police in so many times that they started to ignore him, when she started giving the old cunt of his own medicine, he died. problem solved.

Thanks
    Karma Level

if it was your nan and she was a cunt to her next door neighbours, you would be happy to see her carted off to jail????
    The word I've highlighted could be changed with anyone you care about and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. It doesn't matter how much you love them. They've done wrong and they will suffer the consequences. Age is irrelevant.

Do you think she'll get hassle in jail? Doubt it. Maybe verbally abused but she's given enough of that it would appear. You just don't tell a young girl you're going to kill her dog. How bitter can you be?!

It's beyond me why you're sticking up for the old bint...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is she your nan?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Age shouldn't be a consideration when dealing with adults and breaches of rules.... should apply to everyone.... besides, I reckon she planned this to happen in the end, at her age she'll never get a bloke going down town to eat would she?
    She's banking on getting a good minge lick from some old Pat Butcher type inside.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfist View Post
    It's beyond me why you're sticking up for the old bint...
    To be fair to the guy he isn't, he just has considerably differening views on what the appropriate punishment should be.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_15 View Post
    To be fair to the guy he isn't, he just has considerably differening views on what the appropriate punishment should be.
    Yeah, fair enough.

Thanks
    Karma Level

She's old enough to know better....jail is warranted imo, best place for neighbours from hell

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast