Close

Thread: Chalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Chalk

I used this for the first time today, and the difference was amazing. A bloke wlked over whilst I was deadlifting and saw me midset rubbing my hands on my trousers and offered me the chalk. The bar just stuck to my hands, on the heavier sets when i would normally be drying my hands after every rep i could carry on through.

I'll be buying some before next dead day definitely.

Just wondering who else uses chalk? And suggesting it to those that don't and want a bit more grip without losing forearm strength through using lifting straps

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Chalk

Sounds great. Like you I don't like to get my straps involved too soon with my deadlifts as I want to keep my natural grip stronger. Normally save them for my last/heaviest set.

Where are you going to get it from then Mike?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am going to go around climbing shops, supposed to be really cheap and it is easy to carry around to as the stuff i used from this bloke was in a little pourous pouch that you just slapped into your hands. No lumps and very little mess.

If you have never used it I would reccomend trying it

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I used to do a bit of climbing at school (D of E award scheme) so have used French chalk for that but didn't give it a thought for the gym. Found some here...

Chalky

Thanks
    Karma Level

I also used to climb and I think the things that you're on about Mike are referred to as chalk balls. Easy to pick up, try somewhere like Castle, Mountain and Moor. Climbers carry them in chalk bags and they just hang around the waist.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah thats right, bloody usefull stuff. If you have some lying around still give it a shot and see if you are a fan. I don't know if it had the same effects on rocks/walls but it felt like the bar just stuck on there when it would normally slip, gave me a lot more confidence

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    Yeah thats right, bloody usefull stuff. If you have some lying around still give it a shot and see if you are a fan. I don't know if it had the same effects on rocks/walls but it felt like the bar just stuck on there when it would normally slip, gave me a lot more confidence
    For some unknown reason I actually still have one in its plastic packaging still which I found when I had a look this evening. Unfortunately, fuck knows where the chalk bag is. When I climbed I used to use the chalk on my hands but also had a chalk cube that I chalked the grips with. Not sure which was more effective but both bloody good.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

iv never used the chalk personally, although reading this i might give it a whirl. cheers