Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Strength and Flexibility Training

I've been playing Capoeira for a year and 5 months now, and I'm looking to raise my game to the next level.
    Does anyone know anywhere that offers a good stretching guide to improve flexibility, and a guide for strength training? Preferably with pictures as a lot of the names for the stretches mean nothing to me :|
    I'll be training at home, so I wont have any machines, just some free weights.

I was advised by another Capoeirista to look in to Pyramid training, but after googling for it it seems that that is aimed at more experienced weight lifters?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Strength and Flexibility Training

What about Yoga? It's probably the best exercise there is for stretching and flexibility. And it's tough too if you do it correctly..........

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Do you mean core strength?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    Do you mean core strength?
    Erm...I guess so? Just upper body strength really. Stomach, back, shoulders, chest, arms etc. But nothing at the expense of flexibility as thats the most important thing that i need to work on.

Yoga is a good idea, but i don't really have time for a full yoga workout (and I'd probably need to buy a DVD as I've no idea where to begin)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I occasionally do a bit of yoga but mainly resistance training and low intensity cardio.

I train all over, as it's a big mistake to train just upper body. Have a look at this range of core exercises which concentrate on your "trunk". A lot of them are yoga moves, which sounds just what you are looking for, as suggested by C.J.

Core exercises

Thanks
    Karma Level

You dont have to do yoga if you want flexibility. You can just do development stretches ( 30-45 seconds on the muscles that you use for Capoeira) i dont know what Capoeira is so i dont know what muscles you use. You can also do the tretches at home.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6...wwwwwc2um1.gif

Sony Fanboy
    A person who has an undying urge to sway everyone that is not a believer of the belief system they have towards the Playstation 3 or every piece of sony hardware.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is from a capoeira forum

With static stretching, holding a position for ten to twenty second is usually sufficient, and studies have shown that one or two repetitions of a given stretch are sufficient per session for increasing flexibility. More than two reps does not dramatically increase results. A good thing to remember when trying to be as efficient as possible with your time and your program. For the dynamic stretches, perhaps two sets of ten reps per exercise should work.

We do not have the space here to illustrate the various static and dynamic stretching positions. It's best to track down one of the many excellent books out there on stretching, or search the web (usually medical or sports science sites will have better advice than martial arts pages in this regard). Another key is the order in which you stretch those muscles. People often just sit on the floor in a saddle stretch and consider themselves stretched! Here is the proper order for stretching the major muscle groups of the body:

1. back

2. sides (external obliques)

3. neck

4. forearms and wrists

5. triceps

6. chest

7. buttocks

8. groin (adductors)

9. thighs (quadriceps and abductors)

10. calves

11. shins

12. hamstrings

13. instep

Stretching in this order assures the optimum and most efficient stretching of the muscles. For example to get the best possible stretch from the hamstrings it?s important that the muscle groups that support them (i.e. the buttocks, lower back, calves and thighs) are already stretched. The above order is an optimum order for getting the most out of a full body stretching routine. The same order exists for both static and dynamic stretching portions of your training.

Hopefully, your flexibility will increase, and you?ll see a rise in the level of your Capoeira play. Again, check with your doctor before beginning any new physical exercise program. Happy stretching!
    But it doesn't give example stretches for each area. What stretches should i be using for each area?

I also read elsewhere that:
    According the latest research from the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), actually more like 40-60 seconds is required for static stretching. The point is you want to relax into your stretch (no pain) and hold it until you feel the muscles being stretched relax, then hold it for a little more. This usually takes 30-40 seconds, therefore the approximation of 40-60 seconds.
    Which ones correct?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would certainly hold a stretch for more than 10-20 seconds but whether it needs a minute I'm not sure. Personally I don't like static stretching before I do sport and prefer dynamic stretches. You do about 3-5 minutes of very low level intensity basic warming up exercise so jogging or skipping then do dynamic stretches. I find that I feel a lot better when I do this than when I do static stretches.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Epiphany View Post
    This is from a capoeira forum

But it doesn't give example stretches for each area. What stretches should i be using for each area?

I also read elsewhere that:

Which ones correct?
    have got pictures and teaching points for the stretches you can do for them muscles, i thought had saved it on to my pend drive but i have not so you would have to wait for 2 days when i go back so i can get it on my HD at college

I would not go by the new research because it might not even be true and the 30-54 sec works if you want to develop your flexibility.

Sony Fanboy
    A person who has an undying urge to sway everyone that is not a believer of the belief system they have towards the Playstation 3 or every piece of sony hardware.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cool, can you pop me a pm when you upload them please as i'll probably forget in two days time (fish memory)

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've uploaded 2 pdf guides that I find helpful building strength and making myself more supple.

Guide to Stretching

Total Body Workout

Hope they can help.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm probably being blind, but how do i download those files. All i can see is an option to download some megabooster thing on the right hand side?

EDIT: Never mind, found it now

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the links. I do karate a couple of times a week, and at 32 I'm not the most flexible person around.
    Lets hope they can make a difference.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here you go the rest will be on the next post Epiphany, if you dont have world then i am sorry it would not let me upload it in RTF.

Sony Fanboy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 1 REP MAX View Post
    Here you go the rest will be on the next post Epiphany, if you dont have world then i am sorry it would not let me upload it in RTF.

Sony Fanboy

Thanks
    Karma Level

You sir, are a legend. Thanks a lot for those! K+

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll also add my thanks for those mate, cheers.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

No problem.

Sony Fanboy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Has anyone got any more stretches for improving back flexibility?

I can bridge, but holding a bridge doesn't really extend your range of movement, I'm more likely to damage myself.

Most of the stretches i know don't feel like they really stretch the back as much as other stretches stretch other muscles.