Speed had begun steps for life as a coach by working with Wrexham's academy on a part-time basis.

Lee told the club's website: "Gary is a model professional and has great aspirations to be a top-class coach.

"He is fully-qualified having recently gained his Uefa A licence. He has great tactical and technical knowledge and is highly-respected by his team-mates."

Speed added: "I am saddened by the departure of Sam Allardyce - he has created a legacy that everyone is proud of here at Bolton, but everyone knows that life must go on and we have the responsibility of taking Bolton forward.

"I am delighted to be joining a new exciting era for the club under the leadership of Sammy Lee.

"Sammy has great ambition to take the club forward and I am looking forward to be part of that process."

Meanwhile, Allardyce will say farewell to the players and staff at their Euxton training base on Tuesday.

"I don't leave with any regrets. We've all had a fantastic time but it's time for a new era," said Allardyce.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...rs/6610581.stm