Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default unsecured network at work

Were i work they have 2 unsecured networks with internet access it allso as the main pc used for all there banking etc . What can some one do to there system? Ihave told the guy that set it up he needs to encrypt the network but he as told me there is no need

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: unsecured network at work

Where do you work???
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well if it really is unsecured and insecure then they ought to get it sorted pdq.

what can someone do?.....well if it is that bad, pretty much anything they want.

MML
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

you just wanna go to your router and enable wireless mac address filtering. it should have a list of attached wireless devices (one for each pc connected) somewhere in the config with addresses like 00:12:34:45:67:90:ab just write all these down then find the mac address filtering page and add all the addresses in there. this will prevent any other wireless network cards from connecting to your network.

if you need to add another wireless pc to the network. switch filtering off. join the network. write down the address. add it to you filter list. switch filtering back on.

my home network isn't encrypted but my router won't talk to anything by my pc and laptop...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post

my home network isn't encrypted but my router won't talk to anything by my pc and laptop...
    which is fine, unless someone decides to sniff and clone your mac address. easily done.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bugnote View Post
    which is fine, unless someone decides to sniff and clone your mac address. easily done.
    Although techincally, cracking WEP/WPA is nearly as quick and easy these days as cloning a MAC address...
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

At the end of the day, wireless CAN be fucked with whatever you do to it if someone is determined, its the downside to the type of technology.
    My home wifi has mac address filtering with wpa and pre-shared key, whereas I can pickup around 10 wireless networks from my house and 5 of them are unsecured. My bet is that if someone wants to be able to access a wireless network, chances are they will pick a unsecured one over mine because it is less hassle, so I am fairly happy with my security based on the lack of security for wifi networks around me

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chubblies View Post
    At the end of the day, wireless CAN be fucked with whatever you do to it if someone is determined, its the downside to the type of technology.
    My home wifi has mac address filtering with wpa and pre-shared key, whereas I can pickup around 10 wireless networks from my house and 5 of them are unsecured. My bet is that if someone wants to be able to access a wireless network, chances are they will pick a unsecured one over mine because it is less hassle, so I am fairly happy with my security based on the lack of security for wifi networks around me
    I agree... My setup is the same although I turned off SSID broadcast too. Adds a touch more protection I guess...

Thanks
    Karma Level

All fair points guys but the Active32 didn't say whether his unsecured network is wireless or not.

Surely as Neo says you're more secure by hiding SSID, encrypting with WPA, and then Mac filter, do all three and that's about as much as anyone can do to stay secure.

Muttley
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeh i have got mine done the same, disabling ssid makes it more safer, wpa, mac addess filtering is the best way i think, although of course there is ways to hack them