Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Barbell And Dumbells

I have dug out my old barbell and dumbells, however my old bench is beyond repair.

I am therefore restricted to using the weights only. I am currently trying to lose the old flabby gut and manboobs. What is the best excersise i can do with the barbell and dumbells to start shifting this excess flab.

I and currently doing a lot of walking to the station, so getting some cardio work.

I'm 6'3 and currently 16st 7lbs, all of my weight is on the top half of my body, i also want to work on my arms to make a little bigger and then tone.

Any advise would be really appreciated.

Cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Barbell And Dumbells

There is literally hundreds of exercises you can do with dumbells and a barbell. A sturdy chair would be handy too. I can't name them all but can let you know the ones that I use regularly.

You may have to look on the net for pictures of guides but I'll break down some good exercises to target different body parts.

Shoulders:

Standing dumbell shoulder press, seated dumbell press, standing barbell press (military press), seated barbell press. Barbell shrugs, barbell clean and press, barbell clean and press, side lateral dumbell raises, front dumbell raises.

Arms:

Standing bicep curl (dumbell or barbell), seated dumbell curl (may not be possible with the barbel as you have no preacher curl pad), hammer curls (dumbells):all of these can be done together or separately. Concentration curls (dumbells).

Back:

Deadlift, bent over row with barbell, also try reverse grip of this one.

Chest:

This is a real shame that you don't have a bench. I would suggest doing press ups. For variation and to inrease difficulty invert them (put your feet on a chair) and when you get better, hold your dumbells in your hands instead of having your palms on the floor. You must vary the distance each session, between your hands to ensure a good spread across your chest.

Legs:

Squats (barbell), stiff legged dead lifts, calf raises, hack squats, lunges (standing and walking).
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 5th May 2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Some typos

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers Roach

I will take a look on the net to find out a little more about the exercises you have recommended.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
    Cheers Roach

I will take a look on the net to find out a little more about the exercises you have recommended.
    I think that's best as you can get much better diagrams, some even have gifs that show you how it's done.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

interesting as i am doing pressups and noticed only getting muscle growth pains in one part. SO i better start spreading my arms.. what press ups do you reocmmend roach?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i used to to 3 different types of press ups. Hands together, hands at shoulder width apart, and hands outside the shoulder width.
    haven't any weights for years, but need to get back into it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The muscle will grow as a whole, as a pectorial is just that, one muscle. IMO unless you have a physique to rival a pro BBer upper, middle and lower means nothing.

ant3b: you can't expect results straight away, I would reccomend the most comfortable place to put your hands and increase the height of your feet and add weight. As long as it is wider than shoulder width. Of course though, bench beats press ups

For triceps have your hands shoulder width or closer, and let your elbows go to your side up past your ribs.
    Last edited by super mike; 3rd May 2007 at 06:36 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    ant3b:
    For triceps have your hands shoulder width or closer, and let your elbows go to your side up past your ribs.
    Sometimes known as "Diamond press-ups" = By having your both of your hands spread out and thumbs and forefingers touching making a diamond shape,, is a great press-up for triceps.

Position 1:
    Spoiler:

Position 2:
    Spoiler:

P.S. That isn't me in the pics btw.
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 4th May 2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: I spelt "known" wrongly.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks Roach. cheers!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Roach,

After giving careful consideration to you comments i went out and bought a bench.

Once again i'm now after some more info is possible.

As i said in my original post i'm about 16st 7lbs, i really want to get rig of the flabby chest and gut.

What sort of weight should i start pressing to help me get rid of this flabby chest. I know this is possible a tricky question to answer but any giudence would help.

Once i have got rid of the flab i can then decide whether i want to bulk up or tone.

Cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Excellent news about the bench, I was only discussing your lack of one with a mate earlier this evening.

What sort of bench is it? Is it fixed flat or adjustable?

Crilly, if I don't reply tonight, I will in the morning it's that I've just been training legs for 1hr 15mins then been for a run and am dripping in sweat so got to hit the shower. I will post up some info about the bench and how best to hit your pecs etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    Excellent news about the bench, I was only discussing your lack of one with a mate earlier this evening.

What sort of bench is it? Is it fixed flat or adjustable?

Crilly, if I don't reply tonight, I will in the morning it's that I've just been training legs for 1hr 15mins then been for a run and am dripping in sweat so got to hit the shower. I will post up some info about the bench and how best to hit your pecs etc.
    No problem m8,

It is an adjustable bench.

Cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

In order to target different areas of your abs you need to use flat, incline and decline exercises.

Chest exercises:

Bench press(flat/incline/decline), dumbell press(flat/inlcine/decline), flies(flat/incline/decline). A great technique for almost any muscle exercise is to "squeeze" at the top of the rep so you really feel the blood pump into the muscle.

Do 3 sets of 10 of flat bench, then 3 sets of 10 incline, then 3 sets of 10 decline. Then move to flies and do 3 sets of 10 in each postion. Rest for between 30-60 between sets. Over time build to 4 sets of 12 but DO NOT go over as it's very easy to overtrain a muscle group.

With dumbell press hold the dumbells as you would the barbell for bench press but as you push up, twist them through 90 degress pulling your elbows in so that they finish above your chest. You will really feel the squeeze at the top of the movement on this one.

Even though you have the bench, still do press-ups for a good bit of variation in your routine ie hitting the muscles from different angles.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In order to target different areas of your abs you need to use flat, incline and decline exercises.

Chest exercises:

Bench press(flat/incline/decline), dumbell press(flat/inlcine/decline), flies(flat/incline/decline). A great technique for almost any muscle exercise is to "squeeze" at the top of the rep so you really feel the blood pump into the muscle.

Do 3 sets of 10 of flat bench, then 3 sets of 10 incline, then 3 sets of 10 decline. Then move to flies and do 3 sets of 10 in each postion. Rest for between 30-60 between sets. Over time build to 4 sets of 12 but DO NOT go over as it's very easy to overtrain a muscle group.

With dumbell press hold the dumbells as you would the barbell for bench press but as you push up, twist them through 90 degress pulling your elbows in so that they finish above your chest. You will really feel the squeeze at the top of the movement on this one.

Even though you have the bench, still do press-ups for a good bit of variation in your routine ie hitting the muscles from different angles.
    Cheers Roach, another swift reply.

What sort of weight would you recommed for these ?, to get me started.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What sort of weight would you recommed for these ?, to get me started.
    In short, whatever you are comfortable with. Always do a warm up set on your first exercise, so between 12 and 18 reps nice and light. This pretty much goes for every exercise when starting a session, it's a good way of getting the blood flowing and most importantly letting you know if there's any niggles or pains in the muscle group that you are about to train.

If you go too heavy, you won't perform the rep properly and that's a wasted rep. If you are struggling mid-set, do a drop set i.e. quickly whip off some of the weights, to a manageable amount and finish the set.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In short, whatever you are comfortable with. Always do a warm up set on your first exercise, so between 12 and 18 reps nice and light. This pretty much goes for every exercise when starting a session, it's a good way of getting the blood flowing and most importantly letting you know if there's any niggles or pains in the muscle group that you are about to train.

If you go too heavy, you won't perform the rep properly and that's a wasted rep. If you are struggling mid-set, do a drop set i.e. quickly whip off some of the weights, to a manageable amount and finish the set.
    Cheers Roach for all the help.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers Roach for all the help.
    You are welcome mate. Keep posting back in at least once a week with your progress, I'm sure I speak for everyone in here that we will give you all the support and advice you need.

Just don't stop training!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think im going to get a bench..... i anna build a bit of muscle as im to skinny roach.. i hate it.. any advice is welcome buddy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you just get a flat bench and then build a rack from scaffolding or something, it will be quite cheap and exteremly versatile, you can use it then for chest, squats and more. If you have the space that is my personal reccomendation, if you have th dought o spare you could buy a very decent rack for not too much