Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Bike

Right guys, am thick on this sorta front so I'm looking to get a bike (following on from my where do i get a bike carrier for an astra)

So I'm going to have PLENTY of new time off from my new job, 8 days off every 4 weeks in a row at a time and 3 days rest break every 6 weeks and my normal days off...so I'm looking to pick up a new hobby.

So can anyone help me out? I think I'd just be cycling around maybe little dirt tracks and maybe a little road cyclying (not looking for road cycle).

I'm not really looking for a cheap bike but as I'm a pikey cunt I'd like the most for my money. I won't put a price range here but if anyone can recommend give me advice on what to look for/get?

If anyone has a good bike as described above and won't rob a pikey cunt like myself I guess i'd be interested

Cheers troops,

Tam.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bike

Have a look at the shops that I usually recommend. Leisure Lakes, Merlin, JEJames, Chain Reaction etc. Look for something from last year and save some money that way. You haven't stated a budget tam but I know you are a tight cunt. Go for a GT or Merlin home brand. Spend as much as you can really.

Thanks
    Karma Level

since you pushed my hand mate i could probably spend around 500... But aye, thanks for the tips pal. I'll ebay myself and see if i see any of the bikes you posted above...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have a look - http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/acatalog/Sale_Bikes.html for the Merlin sale. The two at the bottom look good but you need to buy some pedals as well. Go for DMR V-12s if they sell em.

Have a look - http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/off...1/Menu/12/Sub/ for the Leisure Lakes sale. They are very near where Cyprus lives unforunately but they have some good deals.

Have a root and let me know what you are thinking and we can discuss further.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I still think Kona fuckin` rock.

Have a look at a Kona Tam:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KONA-2006-COIL...ayphotohosting

and similarly, search ebay for the rest...I have an oldish one and it is great...mind you I had a Marin and a GT once...they too were nice bikes...but a little dated (at least the models I had were)...
    Recent Mac convert...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know zip about bikes, but I'm going to see a second hand Marin Tiburon tomorrow which the seller wants £300 for.
    https://ssl.allegro.pl/item190780214...r_szosowy.html

Its going to be used almost exclusively on the road. Would appreciate any comments, opinions etc..
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    I know zip about bikes, but I'm going to see a second hand Marin Tiburon tomorrow which the seller wants £300 for.
    https://ssl.allegro.pl/item190780214...r_szosowy.html

Its going to be used almost exclusively on the road. Would appreciate any comments, opinions etc..
    A few observations with that bike.

No front suspension - will keep down weight but not offer the easiest of rides if you are doing distance
    Cassette - 12 - 25 = low spread of gears. The front cogs are 38 and 53 which is a fairly hefty jump. My highest gear is 46x11 and is high enough for flat work and I can maintain 30 mph down a decent quality road
    Flat bars - Swap out for some wider curvier ones to give a little more comfort
    7005 tubing - Great!
    Groupset seems to be a bit of a botch job and suited to neither road nor off-road but a combo of both.

All in all a nice bike but as a hybrid goes I would prefer to build one myself.

Ride it and see what you think as this will always be the point where you decide.

Thanks
    Karma Level

id go for gt one too, as advised above. i remember the days i used to ride my bike. so much for cars!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers Bert, what you doing tomorrow?
    I actually picked it out in Gumtree. Could you please cast a expert eye down the list and tell me if there any others I should see tomorrow. Budget is circa £300 and I need it for commuting and perhaps very light cross country (along paths).
    http://www.gumtree.com/london/bicycl...sale_86_1.html

Thanks in advance
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Lol, the sun comes out and everyone wants a bike.

I'm after one too. I've got around 200-250 to spend and was looking at this bike:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=60706
    or this one:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=5190

I don't know much about bikes so any pointers would be appreciated
    Last edited by beerman; 6th May 2007 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Cheers Bert, what you doing tomorrow?

http://www.gumtree.com/london/bicycl...sale_86_1.html

Thanks in advance
    Unfortunately mate I will be somewhere in the North West.To be honest for your purposes I would only look at that one out of that list. It is a nice bike but my advice would be to print off the standard equipment list off the other link you posted, preferably translated , and see what deviations have been made to the original spec. Marin are a quality bike for the road and I used to work with a guy who raved about them.

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Lol, the sun comes out and everyone wants a bike.

I'm after one too. I've got around 200-250 to spend and was looking at this bike:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=60706
    or this one:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=5190

I know much about bikes so any pointers would be appreciated
    Out of the two I would go for the Trek mate but have a look around the other shops posted by me earler in this thread. Things to bear in mind are quality of components. The better gears and braked you can get the longer they will last. Look for something from last years range and you won't go far wrong as the discount will usually get you much better for your money. Merlin have free postage this week.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers Bert, some very good advice on the Marin. Whichever bike I get I'm going to have to invest on some badass security because I know what my pikey neighbours are like.
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers Bert, I've had a look at those sites but most stuff seems out my price range. I'm off down my local bike shop tomorrow but I think they only stock Specialized bikes. I just don't want to end up down Halfords with a shitty brand. I'm off on holiday on Friday so would like to take it with me. Time is running out for me to buy online. Even the ones I'm looking at take 3-5 days so doubt I'll sort it by then.

Thanks
    Karma Level

@beerman Specialized make some nice bikes and their lower end stuff gets good praise. May be worth having a look at the current mountain bike magazines in WHSmith or somewhere just to see what their current reviews are on and if they have a recommended at certain price points at the back.

@GTI Security is well worth the investment but it is also worth thinking about naming your bike as an item if you paid a bit for it. Means you will get new value should it ever go missing. Check the clauses though as they may want you to use a certain lock, keep in a garage at all times etc...

Thanks
    Karma Level

GTI did you go for that beast or not then?

Thanks
    Karma Level

my god £500 for a bike?? i paid £55 for my last one from the asda an ive still got it, its not got any suspension or anything just 21 gears and old rubber brakes (not good in the wet though )but it gets me around (15 - 20 miles a week) the only thing ive done is buy a bigger seat cos the other one made my balls hurt

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    GTI did you go for that beast or not then?
    Idid indeed see the beast, it was in pretty good nick but obviously a hot bike and the guy had a shit attitude (show me your money or you can't test ride it) so I walked away.
    The money was burning a hole in my pocket so on the way back I saw another Gumtree bike.. a 19" Decathalon Rockrider 5.3 and based on a nice long test ride I decided to take it off the seller for 60 notes. The bike is all aluminium, very light and everything works like it should. I appreciate Decathalon are at the lower end of MTB but basically this will tide me over until I get something a little more substancial, my brother already has his eyes on it so that shouldn't be long.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good at least you are happy. Give it a year and you will have something that you covet like your wife and in the long run will probably get more rides out of!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

we have a cycle to work scheme at work for all people on PAYE it's a government sponsered thing to try and get people to go green. can get a bike and accessories completely tax free.

check the link and ask your work to sign up. i think they can use it as some sort of tax break too...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've just recently bought a claud-butler, and it rocks. It's in your price range too (£300-500)
    "You are entering the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast