Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Losing weight slowly

Hi Guys my girlfriend wants to lose weight. which is a given ting. most women do. Whats an easy way of doing it would an excercise back at a moderate pace disperse her excess fat! which she doesnt have??

Any ideas welcome guys
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 8th May 2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Font choice made it hard to read text.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Losing weight slowly

A good diet and low intensity CV will reduce her overall body fat percentage. Make sure she's aware of the fact that if she doesn't have excess fat then it isn't necessary to be losing weight. Don't get me wrong, it's always a good idea to have a good diet and be exercising regularly but ideally get her to be measured with calipers to accurately measure what the percentage is and then compare it to healthy levels to reassure her.
    Last edited by maverick_15; 9th May 2007 at 12:03 AM.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

also, women hold extra weight than men due to the female body makeup.

If she's serious about loosing body fat, not weight, then either get a personal trainer, or get to a decent gym where you can have an individual body assessment with skin fold calipers, or get a set of scales that has a body fat monitor on them. The later are useful but no as accurate as the skin fold measurements.

Another thing to do is to take measurements from your chest (above the nipples), whilst exhaled, and one measurement in teh same place whilst holding your breath. Measure around the waist (around belly button), measure around the hips, widest past of the thighs, and widest part of the calfs. Arms, measure around the widest part of the bicep/tricep area with the muscles relaxed.

Do that before you embark on your chosen weight loss program and take measurements either weekly or every other week to see your progress.

You'll find once doing regular cardio, combined with a quality diet you will shift body fat and slowy start to build lean mass, which is a good thing, but remember that lean mass has weight to it so you may not seem like you are loosing weight but you will be shifting the body fat you wanted to loose :) hence the reason for taking the measurements!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally I think women need to build muscle as that is then the machine to burn the fat. As Mav says a womans body make up is very different to a mans and they retain fat in different areas of the body (mainly bum and legs). For them to tackle this area they need to start squatting, and I mean proper deep squats, which for some reason women find harder to do?? Anyway I believe that once they develop good strong leg muscles (and their legs wil get bigger at first) that they then can do cardio better (stronger legs). Also resistance work with weights is the only way to "tone" or firm up (develop) muscles, while the low intensity cardio will burn the fat off.

Getting in good shape is a long term and lifelong commitment, too many people expect to get great results far too quickly. The combination of regular cardio, resistance weights work and a good controlled diet is the long term formula to looking and feeling in good shape.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think that is her problem.. she expects it all just to fall off... which is not going to happen. she jokes about lyprosuction lol idiot. ill just keep reassuring her!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ant3b View Post
    I think that is her problem.. she expects it all just to fall off... which is not going to happen. she jokes about lyprosuction lol idiot. ill just keep reassuring her!
    Best way mate and operations are not the answer!!!!!