Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Virgin throttles national cable network

Virgin Media has quietly rolled out bandwidth throttling nationwide, after successful technical trials in the North West, which the ISP says means a group of heavy users will sacrifice high speeds for the benefit of the majority.

Speeds on the cable network will be limited between 4pm and midnight for traffic which Virgin considers "potentially abnormal". Virgin says the top five per cent heaviest downloaders among its three million customers will be affected - about 150,000 broadband users across the country.

Virgin has criticised rival ADSL providers for their "unlimited" marketing, where opaque fair use policies can mask a monthly GB download limit. It made it clear that national bandwidth throttling would be needed for its network, however, but argued that this increasingly common practice would be fairer than an unpublished monthly cap. Under its new regime, Virgin subscribers will not face restrictions on the amount they can download, but on the speed.

Customers on the "M" package will be throttled from 2Mb/s to 1Mb/s download speed and 128Kb/s upload once they have downloaded 350MB during the eight hour period. "L" subscribers will be allowed to run at full 4Mb/s speed until they hit 750MB, when downloads will be capped at 2Mb/s and uploads at 192Kb/s. Premium "XL" punters, paying £37 per month for 10Mb/s broadband, will be rationed to 3GB at full clip: anything more will come downstream at 5Mb/s and go upstream at 256Kb/s.

Virgin is in the process of upgrading the cable network for its top-paying subscribers to allow downloads at 20Mb/s. Theoretically, this speed would exhaust the 3GB limit in just 20 minutes.

While most now accept that technological limits mean bandwidth throttling is a necessary measure to ensure equality of access, Virgin customers have been getting in touch to criticise the limits for being too low. "M" customer Chris wrote: "I am on their 4Mb/s tier and it looks like I will be throttled as soon as I have downloaded 750MB, which in today's internet is next to nothing - not even one DVD. I use Skype with 2-way video most evenings to chat to my girlfriend when she is abroad...I certainly wouldn't say I am abusing the network - but Virgin Media would."

The imminent public release of Joost could fire a bigger revolt from customers. The P2P/streaming TV application downloads 350MB per hour, and Virgin will apply the new limits across the whole of prime viewing period, meaning viewers will trigger throttling very quickly.

Virgin PR chief John Moorwood told us: "We don't cut customers off, cap on bandwidth, or charge extra for going over a set limit, so our customers would still be able to use the P2P TV service at peak times if they were to experience traffic management controls - albeit at a slower speed.

"That can't be said of some other ISPs, who would be cutting off a connection or charging extra. As ever, we will naturally keep an eye on all significant internet developments."

The firm hasn't announced plans to tell users when they are going over their limit, and instead has advised customers to download a piece of trialware called DU Meter. Critics argue this would not help a modern home with several PCs, a Slingbox, and XBox, to easily monitor its usage without decent router setup skills - not a very Virgin Media "experience". Moorwood said developing a tool of Virgin's own is "something we might investigate long term".

Virgin's customer information page is here. Returning to everyone's favourite vintage internet metaphor, it promises "a lot fewer traffic jams on the information superhighway". ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05...de_throttling/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Virgin throttles national cable network

glad im out of there then. you might aswell have lower speeds if they are gonna throttle it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Apparently the throttling is between 4-12pm then for teh rest of teh day there is no throttling.... we will see
    Digital-Forums TeamSpeak3 Server

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, my speeds are crap now. My speeds have been throttled for a few weeks now at 'peak times'

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...t/traffic.html

virgins own page
    The Technical stuff

Here are some details about the different thresholds for each broadband service:

Broadband Size: M
    During peak times, the top 5% on the Size: M package download at least 350MB of traffic each.

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till midnight) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 1Mb, with their upload speed set to 128Kb. This will last for 4 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.

Even if a Broadband Size: M user has their speed temporarily traffic managed, they can still download over 1,000 music files per day.

Broadband Size: L
    During peak times, the top 5% on the Size: L package download at least 750MB of traffic each.

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till midnight) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 2Mb, with their upload speed set to 192Kb. This will last for 4 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.

Even if a Broadband: Size L user has their speed temporarily traffic managed, they can still download over 1,500 music files per day.

Broadband Size: XL
    During peak times, the top 5% on the Size: XL package download at least 3GB of traffic each.

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till midnight) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 5Mb, with their upload speed set to 256Kb. This will last for 4 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.

Even if a Broadband Size: XL user has their speed temporarily traffic managed, they can still download over 4,000 music files per day.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gherkin View Post
    Yeah, my speeds are crap now. My speeds have been throttled for a few weeks now at 'peak times'

Same here, My NG's would max out anytime of day before, I've noticed within the past few weeks the speed has dropped by 50%.

I think my year is almost over so it might be time to jump ship. I had to get the phone & TV when I signed up, there shit and are going anyway when the contract is due, I was going to upgrade the internet as it had been flawless..........

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can someone please clarify something. I joined Virgin media last week, my newsgroups speeds have yet to go any higher than 3 meg. Today i done a bandwidth speed test and was getting 15 meg download speed. A minute late i start a nzb and am getting under 1 meg. I know they are throttling speeds in the evenings after you download a certain amount but this is happening in the beginning of my nzb downloads. Why is my speed running at max and my Usenet slow are they targetting all Usenet ports or do I need to tweak some settings for cable?

Thanks

bub

Thanks
    Karma Level

sounds somewhat like shaping certain protocols as well as general throttling.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The funny thing is I dont think this applies to everyone, are others getting crap speeds Usenet at the moment? If this carries on for a couple of days more I will try and cancel my Broadband service with them, I will have to look in T&C if there is a 30 days cancellation period for new customers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Which news provider are you referring to?
    Newshosting is already shite in the evenings without Virgin further tightening the noose... :-(

W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

newshosting are fine for me...

i was downloading at a pretty constant 650KB/s from about 7pm-5am this morning.

Thanks
    Karma Level

whats the problem? schedule all your downloads off peak. If virgin didnt take this action then their would be alot more congestion esp with the 20mbit and future 50mbit thats about to be implemented

Thanks
    Karma Level

Although I'm against caps, this seems to be a fair one if they stick to what they say. If I could get Virgin and could still get 5mb at peak time after being identified as a heavy user(would take them 20 minutes to figure that out ) Do the rest through night and day.
    5mb for a few hours isn't the hardship it sounds like. I only get 4mb at full pelt on ADSL anyway.
    Feels like I am running broadband via carrier pigeon after hearing about 50mb trials etc.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Waka View Post
    Which news provider are you referring to?
    Newshosting is already shite in the evenings without Virgin further tightening the noose... :-(
    Unlucky mate, I'm with Virgin and my newshosting goes flat out (when not running on the new scheme) seems to jump back up to full speed after, need a few more days to really see how its affecting me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJAd View Post
    Unlucky mate, I'm with Virgin and my newshosting goes flat out (when not running on the new scheme) seems to jump back up to full speed after, need a few more days to really see how its affecting me.
    Whats the new scheme? I would be happy to get full speed for 20 mins or so with newshosting and virgin but im lucky to get 1 meg in the evenings. Tried nzb this morning and was getting 6-7meg which is better but still not 10 meg. What speeds are you guys getting with newshosting and virgin in the evenings?

bub

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just knew that was coming

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post
    newshosting are fine for me...

i was downloading at a pretty constant 650KB/s from about 7pm-5am this morning.
    Yeah, I get those speeds too...except I should be getting 1.2MBps

W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Since virgin took over we've lost the only decent channel on digital t.v. (and i'm not on about sky one i'm talking ssn) and now i lose the ability to download stuff when i want to at the speed i pay for...and for all the inconvenience it's gone up 2 quid.I'd gladly have stayed on 10mb.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bye Bye Virgin, I dropped the TV a month ago now I'm going to head for the dreaded ADSL and Be. I'm only about 500m from the exchange so with a bit of luck I'll be OK. I'd much prefer a monthly averaged shaping policy, the VM policy is crap. I don't have huge monthly downloads (I've even been considering reducing my giganews unlimited plan) but when I use it I want to get it out of the way. Moreover apart from the NG I need to up and download from my FTP server when working on projects with people all over the place and need it moved quickly. Besides that I have no intention of paying £37 for a 5 mb connection, let them reduce the price by one quarter for the same period, and didn't we already do all this last week?
    Last edited by blaggard; 10th May 2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Many typos!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...t/traffic.html

yup the cheey barstewards reccon that the top 5% affect it for the others whilst they're looking at their mail etc yet everyone needs 20mbit to check their mail?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast