Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Row over Scientology

[B]Scientology And Me, Panorama, Monday, 8.30pm, BBC1.

This looks well good! theres big disussions on this and im sure for a while the youtube video is funny 2

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FpnGz9QJRQs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FpnGz9QJRQs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The battleground is YouTube and Scientology's weapon is a clip of me losing it in the "Mind Control" section of a gruesome exhibition.

Scientology has fought many battles to keep its secrets off the web, now they are using it to attack my investigation into them.
    Scientology has prepared an attack video, and they have shown the Scientology v Sweeney shouting match to anyone who would watch it.
    There is talk of 100,000 copies being released.
    Family 'disconnects'
    Scientology works. That is the message from celebs like John Travolta and Tom Cruise - who is, some say, keen on recruiting new Hollywood arrivals David and Victoria Beckham to what he calls his religion.
    Others back the Church in various ways: Chief Superintendent Kevin Hurley of the City of London police helped open a new £20 million Scientology centre in London, and the authorities in the City of London have granted it cut-price rates.
    <!-- S IBOX --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibtbg> If you are interested in becoming a TV journalist, it is a fine example of how not to do it. I look like an exploding tomato and shout like a jet engine ... it makes me cringe

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IBOX -->
    But start asking questions and you see a different face of Scientology.
    While making our BBC Panorama film "Scientology and Me" I have been shouted at, spied on, had my hotel invaded at midnight, denounced as a "bigot" by star Scientologists, brain-washed - that is how it felt to me - in a mock up of a Nazi-style torture chamber and chased round the streets of Los Angeles by sinister strangers.
    Back in Britain strangers have called on my neighbours, my mother-in-law's house and someone spied on my wedding and fled the moment he was challenged.
    I have met mothers who say they have suffered Scientology "disconnects" - meaning that their children have cut them completely out of their life so that they can spend more time with an organisation which a judge in 1984 characterised as "corrupt, sinister and dangerous".
    Psychiatry battle
    Scientology has two faces - nice and smiley, and sinister and dark. If you do not believe me, go and see their exhibition in Los Angeles, Psychiatry: Industry of Death. You enter through a door that is a mock-up of a torture chamber.
    Scientologists want "the global obliteration" of psychiatrists, who they say were to blame for the rise of Nazi Germany.
    To prove their point, they showed me hideous images of people having needles stuffed in their eyeballs, of patients undergoing electric shocks and having their brains operated on.
    Sickening, nasty and wholly unconvincing - modern psychiatry, for all its faults, is not Nazi and to press the point in the way that Scientology does devalues the horror of the Holocaust.
    I felt as though I was being brain-washed - and that if I did not fight it, they would have taken over my mind.
    Ironically or not, it was in the "Mind Control" section of the exhibition that I lost it.
    'Exploding tomato'
    As often in life, I snapped over something completely different and quite trivial.
    Top Scientologist Tommy "Don't mention the word cult" Davis had been goading me all week, and on the seventh day I fell into his elephant trap. He shouted at me and I shouted back, louder.
    <!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> L Ron Hubbard wrote the founding texts of Scientology

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->
    If you are interested in becoming a TV journalist, it is a fine example of how not to do it. I look like an exploding tomato and shout like a jet engine and every time I see it makes me cringe.
    I apologised almost immediately, Tommy carried on as if nothing had happened but meanwhile Scientology had rushed off copies of me losing it to my boss, my boss's boss and my boss's boss's boss, the Director-General of the BBC.
    I lost my voice, but not my mind.
    This is the context Scientology will not tell you about. I have met too many good people who say Scientology was founded by a liar, L Ron Hubbard; that it attacks its critics without mercy; and the celebrities who endorse it have not the foggiest idea what it is really like.
    Take "Rosemary", who is an ordinary mum and lives in England. She had two children and one died. Her surviving daughter was also her best friend. Then her daughter joined Scientology and her mother saw less and less of her.
    Almost two years ago she received a "disconnect" - a letter cutting her mother out of her life totally.
    Rosemary received no Christmas cards, no birthday cards, no Mother's Day cards.
    Rosemary said Scientology was a cult. It was one of the most moving and shocking interviews I have ever done.
    Out of the blue, three hours after we left, her daughter came round for the first time in almost two years seeking a reconciliation. The next day she begged her mum not to use the interview. So we won't.
    Pay as you go
    In Florida I met Mike Henderson, who with his wife Donna Shannon, spent $1m over three decades on Scientology's path to superhuman powers. When the couple left, they were disconnected from 20-odd family members left inside Scientology.
    Mike's father - also disconnected - is dying, but five out of his six children will not speak to him because they are still inside Scientology.
    After a long day with Mike and Donna we went back to our hotel at midnight, only to find Tommy Davis waiting in the lobby with his own black-clad Scientology cameraman.
    He harangued me for talking to the heretics. I told him that Scientology had been spying on the BBC and that was creepy.
    In LA, the moment our hire car left the airport we realised we were being followed by two cars.
    <!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> John Sweeney spent many weeks investigating Scientology

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->
    In our hotel a weird stranger spent every breakfast listening to us. In all, we count 13 strangers - private investigators? - who were following us. Scientology denied sending PIs after the BBC.
    Scientology is a pay-as-you-go religion - which is one of the reasons why the Charity Commission in Britain does not class it as a religion.
    When you have paid as much as £100,000, you get to Operating Thetan Level Three and learn about "The Incident".
    L Ron wrote that 75 million years ago an intergalactic space alien lord called Xenu kidnapped Thetans to earth, dumped them in volcanoes and blew them up with atomic bombs.
    Ex-Scientologists have insisted to me that Xenu is part of Scientology. If so, it is a religion that requires its followers not to tell others about its core belief, which is very odd.
    Critics say that if we all knew about Xenu, then Scientology could not charge people as much as £100,000 to find out about him.
    Despite all the pressure - the letters from lawyers, the letters from MPs, the strangers knocking up my family and neighbours - if people from "disconnected" families tell me that Scientology is a cult, that will be reported. Scientology And Me, Panorama, Monday, 8.30pm, BBC1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6650545.stm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Row over Scientology

This looks like it's going to be good viewing tonight.
    They were talking about it on BBC breakfast this morning.
    I'm always suspicious of the religious groups / cults / sects, however there will always be people who support them to the hilt and those who oppose such groups.

I love this bit:
    "L Ron wrote that 75 million years ago an intergalactic space alien lord called Xenu kidnapped Thetans to earth, dumped them in volcanoes and blew them up with atomic bombs."

Should this be posted in the paranormal ufo forum?

Muttley
    Last edited by muttleymacclad; 14th May 2007 at 11:45 AM.
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol! you see the 1 on westbourn church! OMFG! lol so funny god hats fags and stuff! love the bbc programs

Thanks
    Karma Level

The only reason L ron Hubbard invented scientology was because he said it would make more money than his books.

They're a bunch of brain-washed twats. The Germans had the right idea and banned them.

W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Back at uni I got caught by some of them. They had an office somewhere. Anyway it was instantly dodgy and took me about an hour to get back out!

They wouldnt stop talking and trying to persuade me, did my head in, almost ran out by the end of it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It is a shame he did loose it, but when all in context you see why. I am not sure if this will be shown as part of the TV show (info from BBC Breakfast). Also the Scientology people issued papers through thier solicitors and the editor has said it is now not a good reflection as it is not as fully balanced as they woudl like.

I think there was a big thread on scientology at one point.

I am looking forward to viewing it and i hope in time there will be a follow up or more information.

I knew a guy (very wierd) back early last year who was obessed with them (i think early last year?) an old colege told me he had tried to become a member but they declined.

But if it is a religion i do not see how "member" works, after all unless you join and then sin sin sin sin anyone in any relgion is accepted and taken in to the fold yes?. But i am the last person with an understanding.

Cheers.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

when the wife had just left college she attended a job interview in manchester which seemed like it was very promising until it turned out it was just a scientology recruitment scam, she couldn't get out of there quick enough and was hassled all the way. fookin' nut jobs, just shows the gullibility of some people. remember, the average IQ is only 100, i've seen it in someone's sig and had to agree, never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers, and there are a lot of stupid people out there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Perhgaps i am wrong. But i thought you needed to be in the right circles and earning of have a lot of monies.

Lol, i say maybe i am wrong, with my track record i shhould often replace that I AM and not put the perhaps before it!

I've only known one person interested in it, but never known anyone in it.

Does anyone knwo if it is part of religious studies at higher levels?

Cheers....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unfortunately theres a worse side to scientology and what people with the beliefs will do, one of my friends was engaged to someone who was into this, he didn't know, when he found out he really was against it and couldn't marry someone that believed in it.

For the next week he was hasseled by this "cult" until it moved onto a physical level, but it was more personal friends of the wife who were also devout followers that started this and not the beliefs, but it was in name of the beliefs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bunch of fricking morons imo. Anyone that follows something to such an extreme that they cut off their own family needs a damn good slap in the face and a severe reality check.

No surprises it's based in America though. Stupid people in large numbers...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pay-as-you-Go religion .... if it smells like a cult, looks like a cult and asks you to sever all ties with your family and pay money like a cult .... guess what, yep it's a Cult.

I'm with South Park on this one

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tef89 View Post
    Pay-as-you-Go religion .... if it smells like a cult, looks like a cult and asks you to sever all ties with your family and pay money like a cult .... guess what, yep it's a Cult.

I'm with South Park on this one
    I'm not a south park fan, but even i am going to track down the episode now!

Cheers.....Q