Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default No Smoking ban in cars info needed

Just been informed by the mindless morons in our HR department that as from 1st July when the No Smoking ban comes in that we will now be required to display a NO SMOKING sign in our cars (both company and private cars) that apparently must by law be placed in clear view of all passengers. We also have to sign a form stating we have complied with this instruction and return it to HR.

They claim that after 1st July any vehicles not displaying such signs mean the driver is liable for a fixed penalty notice.

First I've heard of this and can't find any info about such a policy on Google - as far as I was aware the ban only applied to public places. Anyone know if it's true or are HR being their usual selves and churning out corporate BS ? And hopefully if it is BS can someone point me to the proof I'm going to need to tell them where to stick their sticker. Not going to have the dash of my car defaced with a stupid sticker when absolutely no-one who smokes ever has access to my car as a driver or passenger.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: No Smoking ban in cars info needed

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    Just been informed by the mindless morons in our HR department that as from 1st July when the No Smoking ban comes in that we will now be required to display a NO SMOKING sign in our cars (both company and private cars) that apparently must by law be placed in clear view of all passengers. We also have to sign a form stating we have complied with this instruction and return it to HR.

They claim that after 1st July any vehicles not displaying such signs mean the driver is liable for a fixed penalty notice.

First I've heard of this and can't find any info about such a policy on Google - as far as I was aware the ban only applied to public places. Anyone know if it's true or are HR being their usual selves and churning out corporate BS ? And hopefully if it is BS can someone point me to the proof I'm going to need to tell them where to stick their sticker. Not going to have the dash of my car defaced with a stupid sticker when absolutely no-one who smokes ever has access to my car as a driver or passenger.
    Sounds like corporate BS to me mate. Displaying stickers in a private vehicle? I can understand putting the displays in a company car,as technically it's their property, therefor, their rules can be inforced within it, but a private vehicle? pish.

We had some literature floating about the office on the new laws, I'll see if I can dig them out for you

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you own your own car then you can say bollox to em and tell em you won't take any passengers who don't smoke in your car. as for the company vehicles, it's true to say that you can't smoke in them if you are carrying any passengers.
    Losing Gracefully Since September 2010

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

On a side note, Is smoking whilst driving still legal?
    Or treated same as using mobile phone? (I don't smoke just interested)
    Gunny

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was told last week that if you use your own car for company business then you carnt smoke in the car. Im not sure how they are going to police this or even if its true! I dont smoke so ive not looked into it.
    Last edited by dibbler; 23rd May 2007 at 01:08 PM.
    'Sausages! Hot sausages! Inna bun! Meat pies! Get them while they're hot!'
    ... Hole food! Hole food! Rat! Rat! Rat-onna-stick! Rat-in-a-bun! Get them while they're dead!'

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My car is actually on an "alternative car scheme" - company give us a small allowance each month for us to use to lease or buy/insure/run a car.

I bought my car outright with a private bank loan, so as far as I'm concerned it's my private property, if I changed jobs tomorrow the allowance would stop but the car is still mine my employer has no claim over it. I don't smoke none of my family do and i'm not going to put stickers on the dash just to keep HR happy - If it's a legal requirement I'll have to comply but if it isn't then they can get lost.

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/wh.../business.html

Smokefree vehicles

The new law will also require vehicles to be smokefree at all times if they are used:

* to transport members of the public
    * in the course of paid or voluntary work by more than one person - regardless of whether they are in the vehicle at the same time.

Vehicles that are used primarily for private purposes will not be required to be smokefree.

equired signage for smokefree vehicles

Smokefree vehicles will need to display a no-smoking sign in each compartment of the vehicle in which people can be carried. This must show the international no-smoking symbol at least 70mm in diameter.

Signs were included in the guidance mailing to businesses in April. Additional signs can be downloaded and printed or ordered from this website. Alternatively, you are welcome to design and print your own no-smoking signs as long as they meet the minimum requirements. You are also free to personalise your signs by changing the words 'these premises' to refer to the name or type of premises - such as 'this gym', 'this salon' or 'this restaurant'.
    'Sausages! Hot sausages! Inna bun! Meat pies! Get them while they're hot!'
    ... Hole food! Hole food! Rat! Rat! Rat-onna-stick! Rat-in-a-bun! Get them while they're dead!'

Thanks
    Karma Level

what do you do?

It's ilegal to smoke in a cab (quite obvious) not sure if there must be a notice up but could understand that.
    However, your own car, tell em where to go. As for a company car, that's fair enough, bearing in mind it's their car.

I signed a disclaimer when the mobile phone ban came into force saying that I understand that the company does not permit the use of mobile phones whilst driving. Therefore if I got caught driving a company car the company cannot be sued. I guess that is a similar thing.

dibbler beat me to it.
    Last edited by Tommy J; 23rd May 2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: edit: dibbler beat me to it.
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here in Scotland the ban has been in force a while now, n it sux! pubs and clubs are totally different, no smoke, yes, but no atmosphere either, abandoned drinks n jackets all over as people go out for a smoke. Dunno about the sticker situation, I dare say employers must do so, but as for smoking in works vehichles, no, your not allowed. Any lorry driver will tell you he can't skoke in his cab when he crosses the border into scotland as the law stands now. As for car sharing thing, its still your own car, right? no one can stop you smoking in your house or car. Tell you another thing thats unworkable, smokers must not smoke in their own home an hour before any workmen etc call, what a load of bollocks, eh? try that with sky and their beetween 8am n 8pm appointments! I smoke and tbh, it didn't affect me much cos i'm an unsociable bastard anyhow, but it seems a bit hypocritical to ban a substance that at one time had royal approval! shows what thay know huh? here! have this tobacco shit, its great! NOT!

Thanks
    Karma Level

It just means if you are prohibited to smoke in your car, you'll have to put up a sign.
    Note: I am not an admin. I just have a red name :happy:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tell them if they will put it in writing that they will replace your dashboard afterwards you will happily stick any crap on it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Think they might have just seen sense - after a read of the rules and a surprisingly sensible discussion they are going to issue a sticker that meets the 70mm minimum diameter of the logo that we can stick on the rear of the tax disc holder - seems to cover all bases from my point of view - no dash damage and an unobtrusive sign.

Seems the problem arises because even though it's my car because it's used for business purposes it's classed as a work place BUT because the company can't guarantee I'll be the only employee ever in my car then it needs a sticker. Probably fair because it has been known for us to share cars on some jobs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

re: driving and smoking at the same time...how come you get 3 points for being on the phone whilst driving (not condoning it) but it's still okay to drive whilst holding burning sticks of fire between your fingers??

Thanks
    Karma Level

I guess it is related to concentration (listening/talking) rather than having one hand tied up? Dunno. That said then you shouldn't be allowed to talk to your passengers lol.

Holding a phone to your ear whilst talking/listening is more dangerous than smoking though I think. You can have both hands on the wheel most of the time (between puffs).
    Last edited by Freddy; 23rd May 2007 at 08:22 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Re: smoking in cars. You will have to check the full facts with LE, but I do know that the police are using the new mobile phone laws for prosecuting people for doing other things. There has been a recent example of someone done for eating a sandwich that has been done using this new law, so I imagine that in theory you could be done for smoking

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've seen one of the ads tonight...Claims work vehicles will be included in the ban...

WTF....Blair==MAO..

God knows how they'll enforce it.... I for one will not be obeying the ban in the company vehicles..

It'll be a case of f off copper, I wasn't smoking, your word against mine.What happens when everyone stops smoking...The treasury will be fooked...New taxes galore...it's a slave nation afterall:/

Thanks
    Karma Level

i just cant see it working

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got a PDF with the full explanation of this on my PC in work - I'll post it in the morning. We've had the ban since April, our fleet management department are supposed to supply the stickers for all our pool and lease cars, they are liable for the fines if we don't display them. So far, almost 2 months later - I've had no sticker.

Thanks
    Karma Level

how cool is that..all company cars will now have to have no smoking signs in them and if i have read it correct, on the rear seats also.. i would love a law that would make company cars cary the company name on the side like a van, just to remind the big time sales reps that its not theirs.
    having no smoking stickers all over the dash is just as good...
    Sometimes i like nasty close ups,
    Sometimes I like them air brushed,
    Sometimes it's a spread brown eye,
    Sometimes it's girl on girl.
    Sometimes a steamy letter will do it.
    And not often, but sometimes I like the idea of a chick
    with a horse.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck it all. Smoking killls. I'm all for any anti-smoking legislation.

Been there, done that.

Once you stop you'll never look back.

Fucking nastiest *cough*, addiction ever.

Remember ppl, help is there, and free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast