Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anyone interested in NLP?

You should be really. Read below.

Lets try and put this into language that we can all understand!
    Imagine getting a mobile phone without any instructions. In fact mobile phones are a great example. These days mobile phones have a string of features that we do not ever use because:
    1. We didn’t understand the instructions
    2. We didn’t read them
    3. We didn’t get any instructions
    Well let’s assume for example we didn’t receive any instructions. So we have a phone and we can figure out how to make a call and how to receive one, and with a bit of fiddling around we can teach ourselves how to store some numbers in the memory. But the rest of the features go unused purely because we didn’t know they were there.
    Now think of your brain, which is a slightly more complex item. We were born without an instruction manual. The only instructions we received were hearsay, in other words, our parents, teachers and peers conditioned us. So no real instructions and certainly not a comprehensive set. A bit like having that mobile telephone and just knowing how to send a call.
    Imagine getting into a car for the first time with no instructions. Reckon you would get far? Not a chance! Probably crash and burn if you ever got the thing started! So without an instruction manual we are likely to fail. Hold on, I here you say, we haven’t got a manual for the brain so we are likely to fail? Yes, that’s the idea! With no manual we are likely to fail first time and then after that we learn through our experiences, hopefully! This is why when we attempt even the simplest task for the first time we often meet with failure.
    So what’s all this got to do with NLP? Quite simply NLP studies the structure of how humans think and experience the world. Now this structure is something quite complex and subjective and does not always lend itself to precise formula. What it does do is to lend itself to models of how the mind works and from these models NLP has derived techniques for easily and rapidly changing thoughts, beliefs and behaviours
    These ‘models’ were derived from the studies of people who did things exquisitely well. For example the Meta-model was derived from a person called Virginia Satir, a renowned therapist and communicator, and the Milton model was derived from the great hypnotist Milton Eriksson
    The models were created not by asking these talented people how they did something but more from understanding the underlying structure of how they represent the beliefs and attitudes and strategies within their minds when they are completing a particular task. This is why much of NLP in therapy is content free.
    Another example would be to understand how a resourceful person in a particular situation perceives the world through their 5 senses, and once we have done this, it is easy to teach others how to do the same thing.
    For example a phobia is an irrational fear. A person phobic about spiders will often picture the spider being particularly large and very close to them. Now someone who is not concerned about spiders will have a representation of a small creature that doesn’t do anyone any harm and is insignificant to them (far away and small). In NLP we would ask the question “if someone can not be concerned about spiders to the extent they are not significant then why cant the other person be the same”? So we would use a technique with the phobic person so that when they think of a spider they represent it to themselves in a similar way to the person who is not concerned about the little creatures i.e. at a reasonable distance and a proportionate size. Thus we have modelled the phobic persons behaviour on the person who is not concerned about spiders.
    The sad thing for many people with phobias is that the NLP technique for getting rid of them takes about 30 minutes and many people go through their entire lives with their phobia dictating what they do.
    What you will find about NLP is that it is results orientated and flexible. We are not interested in the slightest about what SHOULD work only what ACTUALLY works. Too many people do things and fail because they feel what they are doing should be the right thing. If it doesn’t work, in NLP, we would go a different route, and keep trying different ways until it works. Remember in NLP there is no failure, only feedback and flexibility is the name of the game. In NLP we are only interested in the results and giving people what they truly want from life.
    So to summarise, NLP provides you with an instruction manual of how the mind works and introduces you to your unconscious mind. It provides you with techniques that will support change in either your life or others and will give you a map of how to REALLY achieve success in your life. It will empower you with the art of TRUE communication that will allow you to understand and to influence your peers. It will allow you to make real changes easily in the way you work and live and provide you with the manual to fully achieving your potential.
    If you are interested in Neuro Linguistic Programming then have a look over at a mate of mines new forum that he has started after recently qualifying as a practitioner.

You will find it at - http://www.nlp-forum.co.uk/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone interested in NLP?

Bloody hell, that's deep for a friday morning. An interesting read though, nice one mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the link mate.
    Been trying to get into it myself. Have downloaded various Bandler stuff.
    Will pop over and have a look.

Thanks
    Karma Level

We interviewed a bird who was an NLP instructor and had some ropey qualification in it. After doing a little research I had high hopes she'd be a real go getter and expected to be impressed. Not a fucking chance, she had low self esteem and some very weird trust issues.

I read somwhere that interviewers should try and take the candidate out of their comfort zone and mix things up a little. So I invited her to sit on my lap while I gave her CV a thorough examination as I wanted to probe her for weaknesses, like a shattered Hymen. She declined and the interview ended swiftly.

Thanks
    Karma Level

very interested in all this stuff, have also toyed with some bandler stuff...
    -= tom999 =-
    tonight the milky bars are on me

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    We interviewed a bird who was an NLP instructor and had some ropey qualification in it. After doing a little research I had high hopes she'd be a real go getter and expected to be impressed. Not a fucking chance, she had low self esteem and some very weird trust issues.

I read somwhere that interviewers should try and take the candidate out of their comfort zone and mix things up a little. So I invited her to sit on my lap while I gave her CV a thorough examination as I wanted to probe her for weaknesses, like a shattered Hymen. She declined and the interview ended swiftly.
    She sounds fucking useless. Was she watching your movements when you were talking to her and all that malarkey? She was probably waiting for yuor trouser frontage to tent when she mentioned malted milk biscuits.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    She sounds fucking useless. Was she watching your movements when you were talking to her and all that malarkey? She was probably waiting for yuor trouser frontage to tent when she mentioned malted milk biscuits.
    I did do a bit of reading about NLP at the time I was was genuinely interested, I still am but she was a huge disappointment.

I may have a wander over to that forum and see if I can gain a better understanding. I'm a firm believer in the power of the mind and we've all got the potential for improvement.

Although the following quote worries me a little:

Remember in NLP there is no failure
    They've obviously never tried to get a cat into a love swing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Very interesting stuff berty, thanks very much.

Thanks
    Karma Level

not to take away from your mate but www.nlpconnections.com is a more established forum
    -= tom999 =-
    tonight the milky bars are on me