Close

Thread: metal detecting

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default metal detecting

anyone on here into metal detecting ?
    ive been at it about 18mths now and have quiet a collection of coins etc see avatar for 1 of the rare ones..

Consoles

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: metal detecting

My Dad, during the mid-life crisis, went out and bought one, used it once, then forgot about it. I might see if I can steal it, I've always fancied myself as a bit of a treasure hunter

Have you had any of your finds valued?

Thanks
    Karma Level

the gold celtic coin in my avatar is roughly £1200 not bad for a few hours of peace and quiet in a field lol
    rough questimate but ive got about £5,000 worth of coins rings etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post
    the gold celtic coin in my avatar is roughly £1200 not bad for a few hours of peace and quiet in a field lol
    My rings priceless....

I've often seen people on the beach sifting through sand and stuff but couldn't quite see myself doing it.
    The best place to look is not on the beach as most people have already looked there and the only stuff being washed up is raw sewage and the odd bottle top.
    The best place to look is old airfields and around old towns like Colchester.

Example: When I went to in Pompei we drove through Naples and they were building a new metro system. During the build they discovered a fleet of Roman ships about 50 meters underground.
    My theory is that under our feet at the moment could lye Jesus' left sandle but it's a case of finding the right depth and digging it up.

Go for it and please let me know if you find my 1990's Peter Beardsley football coin which I appear to have lost from my collection
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post
    Outstanding, where abouts do you search? I doubt I'll find a lot amongst the pastures in Leicester

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy J View Post
    My rings priceless....

I've often seen people on the beach sifting through sand and stuff but couldn't quite see myself doing it.
    The best place to look is not on the beach as most people have already looked there and the only stuff being washed up is raw sewage and the odd bottle top.
    The best place to look is old airfields and around old towns like Colchester.

Example: When I went to in Pompei we drove through Naples and they were building a new metro system. During the build they discovered a fleet of Roman ships about 50 meters underground.
    My theory is that under our feet at the moment could lye Jesus' left sandle but it's a case of finding the right depth and digging it up.

Go for it and please let me know if you find my 1990's Peter Beardsley football coin which I appear to have lost from my collection
    Colchesters my local town, spend most of my time there. I have always had a interest in crystals, fossils, treasure etc. from a young age. Now I explore places but might be worth me trying a bit of metal detecting too as that is what I always wanted when I was younger.

Well done on your finds mate, soundsl ike you are doing well

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gantybop View Post
    Outstanding, where abouts do you search? I doubt I'll find a lot amongst the pastures in Leicester
    Roman Leicester
    The Romans first settled in Leicester by building a camp beside the River Soar, after subduing the Iron Age tribe, the Corieltauvi. The encampment quickly grew into a town - Ratae Corieltauvorum. The main buildings such as the forum and the baths were situated in the area around St Nicholas Circle, the High Street and Highcross Street. The town prospered as a centre of trade as it stood at the centre of the Roman road network. Today you can see one of the highest Roman walls in the country at the Jewry Wall Museum on St Nicholas Circle

if you can get permission from your local farmer trust me you will be pulling roman coins out of his fields + artifacts
    i live in leeds so have to travel to get anywhere near a decent site.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Used to do it years ago. Used to have a Whites metal detector, I think it was called a whites anyway.

Had quite a few decent finds but nothing amazing. A couple of Roman dolphin broaches, and assorted coins mostly post 1700. Nothing roman, my brother found a few short cross pennies once.

Best bit was beachcombing though when we were kids in France on holiday. Used to find loads of cash, kept me in ice creams and crepes till I was sick.

MML
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry